Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I expect my new Termi silencers to arrive any day. I plan to install these myself along with the new ECU and air filter. Is there anything I need to be aware of and does anyone have any tips? Do I need to disconnect the battery to install the ECU? Any help to make the job easier would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Yes, Disconnect your battery. While you are there consider hooking up the leads for a battery tender. The battery is hard to get to and this would be a great opportunity. I am already concerned with the life of the battery as the "alarm" system will drain it as we come into the winter months, depending on where you live. I plan on doing this as I dont want to purchase the ducati battery tender, which costs more than an off the shelf unit at any shop.

Take your time in disassembly. You will have to pull off the tank covers to get to the airbox. Rushing this can lead to scratches. Lay down towels to place the plastics on.

They usually give you a spring tool to remove the springs holding the slipons in place. Be careful with this thing as it can easily slip and hit your knuckles or the bike. I like to use a pair of coated needle nose pliers for this. It gives much better leverage and makes it easier.

Have fun and enjoy the sounds when done!

Jim

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Jim. I'll try and track down a Battery Tender here in Oz.
So, when I disconnect the battery, I assume there are no codes or other stuff that needs resetting, except for the clock?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I installed the kit on my M696 and my M1100 without disconnecting the battery, no problems. I don't think the install instructions even recommended it.

If you have help, you don't have to disconnect the fuel lines and completely remove the tank either. Just have someone hold the front of the tank up while you switch the ECU and filter. Piece of cake.

The ECU defaults to metric, so depending on where you are that is the only thing that may need to be reset.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Pricing?

My co-worker hit my 696 with his truck in the parking lot. Cut his wheel early and never saw it happen. Luckily he stopped before running it over. I just got the quote in today and they have the stock silencers quoted at $1,125 each. Since my co-worker is paying for the repairs cash I was thinking I could say him some money by going with an aftermarket exhaust. I came across the Termi silencers and the prices says $1,500. That sounded a bit cheaper than $2,250 to me. So I called the dealership and asked about it. They laughed and said that the Termi system is far more expensive than the $2,250 they had quoted for the stock ones.

Am I missing something?

·
Registered
79 Posts
My co-worker hit my 696 with his truck in the parking lot. Cut his wheel early and never saw it happen. Luckily he stopped before running it over. I just got the quote in today and they have the stock silencers quoted at $1,125 each. Since my co-worker is paying for the repairs cash I was thinking I could say him some money by going with an aftermarket exhaust. I came across the Termi silencers and the prices says $1,500. That sounded a bit cheaper than $2,250 to me. So I called the dealership and asked about it. They laughed and said that the Termi system is far more expensive than the $2,250 they had quoted for the stock ones.

Am I missing something?
No way the stock silencers are $1125 EACH. You can get a stainless steel Termi kit with both cans, racing ECU and racing air filter for less than $1000.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for the info. It didn't sound right to me. Maybe they misunderstood my question. The two items I questioned where these:

57413001A 1 Silenziatore SX MR696 USA $1,127.59
57313041A 1 RH Silencer 696 MR/09 USA $1,127.59

The dealership said that was correct. I thought maybe it was a double post or something like that. The bill works out to $3,838 so that's a huge chunk of it. I'll call again tomorrow about the pricing, if they say it is still correct I'll pick up the termi kit myself. Where can I get it for under a $1000? Thanks.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thanks for the info. It didn't sound right to me. Maybe they misunderstood my question. The two items I questioned where these:

57413001A 1 Silenziatore SX MR696 USA $1,127.59
57313041A 1 RH Silencer 696 MR/09 USA $1,127.59

The dealership said that was correct. I thought maybe it was a double post or something like that. The bill works out to $3,838 so that's a huge chunk of it. I'll call again tomorrow about the pricing, if they say it is still correct I'll pick up the termi kit myself. Where can I get it for under a $1000? Thanks.
You're right. Price on one stock can is $1,127! Holy crap that is a rip-off.

I got the kit for my M696 from Commonwealth Motorcycles (www.commoto.com). Create an account (free) and the price of the SS Termi kit is $952.47. Too bad you don't need stock M1100 cans. I've got those.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just installed the Termis today.The were help up in customs for almost two weeks!. The fit went quite easily once I figured out how to undo the tank. I held the tank up with a strap connectd to a roof truss without disconnecting the fuel lines. (Thanks for the tip, BPA5150.) This enabled me to work under the tank and fitt the ECU and air filter.
Pipes went on well and sound GREAT!
Question: Some have said that the ECU will need to be "fiddled" at the dealers to get the bike running right. Is this so, or does it depend on individual bikes/set-ups?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Just installed the Termis today.The were help up in customs for almost two weeks!. The fit went quite easily once I figured out how to undo the tank. I held the tank up with a strap connectd to a roof truss without disconnecting the fuel lines. (Thanks for the tip, BPA5150.) This enabled me to work under the tank and fitt the ECU and air filter.
Pipes went on well and sound GREAT!
Question: Some have said that the ECU will need to be "fiddled" at the dealers to get the bike running right. Is this so, or does it depend on individual bikes/set-ups?
You're welcome for the tip. ;)

No fiddling required (or possible) really with the ECU. I've read about cycling the ignition 3 times (without starting the bike) to make sure the TPS resets itself, so I did that and both my M696 and M1100 run flawlessly.

Enjoy that Monster growl! I hope you took the DB killers out...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yep, took out the Db killers. Ahh... the noise, the noise! First real ride today and the pipes sound great. Sound like a much bigger bike. I even enjoy sitting at the lights listening to the idle throb. There is a bit of popping on a trailing throtte but all is good. Is the popping normal after installing the Termis?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yep, took out the Db killers. Ahh... the noise, the noise! First real ride today and the pipes sound great. Sound like a much bigger bike. I even enjoy sitting at the lights listening to the idle throb. There is a bit of popping on a trailing throtte but all is good. Is the popping normal after installing the Termis?
I've seen people complaining about popping, so it is normal. I don't think it's worse on the M696 with Termis, I think maybe you just couldn't hear it with the stock pipes!

My M1100 is virtually "popless" and my M696 popped a little. I think the difference might be the automatic exhaust valve on the M1100 that alters back-pressure in the exhaust system.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts