Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called my Ducati dealer today.
I need the Maintenance Service Wrench Icon turned off on my 09 696.
$65.00 and they can't get to it until 5 days from now!!!
Are you kidding me? $65.00 to connect a computer to my bike and spend no more than 5 minutes resetting the light.
I am fully satisfied with my bike but I HATE my dealer. It seems like I know more about this bike than the mechanics do.
I do all the service myself, and feel pretty confident about my work. I just can't justify forking over money to do something so miniscule.
I've searched and searched for a solution. Everyone seems to think they can reset it without going to the dealer... but I haven’t found anyone who actually has.
If anyone has some insight please share!
(Respectfully) I'm only interested in people familiar with 696s responding. Every bike is different regarding this maintenance light.
:mad:

·
Registered
87 Posts
I agree that $65 is a lot of money. Like you, I tried to look for info on how to turn the indicator off, some people claimed that it is possible, but no one provided a definite step by step procedure. In the end I went to my dealer, I they got it done in under 20 minutes and cost me $29!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Are you kidding me!! When I bought my 09 Monster I told the dealer that I like to wrench some of the simple stuff myself. He told me to bring it in when it needed its 600 mi service and he would have one of his mechanics give me some pointers on maintenance. I did as he suggested and they were great. I completed the 600 mile service myself and they reset the indicator at no charge. The bike now has over 10,000 miles. They have reset the "wrench" service indicator twice for me at no charge. The dealer makes the difference no matter what kind of bike you ride. If I didn't buy a Ducati from my dealer, Commonwealth Motorcycles in Louisville, KY, I'd buy something else that they sell. They are truly customer oriented, and I'm not the only person espousing this about Commonwealth.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I rode for a while with my light on after the first service.
I had the service done before the light came on. seven miles after leaving... BING!
I didnt go back and I just lived with it.

I was in Italy and went to a dealer when I had issues with the old mirrors. they reset the light without even asking, told me about it and said Ciao!

so yeah, depends on your dealer. it's a QUICK and simple.
the other option for the future is buy yourself a system that you can reset it yourself.
the Rexxer system can do it.

·
Banned
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
missing the point

Redux I think you are missing the point.
Some of us like to work on our bikes ourselves and not have a dealer overcharge for some simple maintenance (maybe not so simple to others).
However the problem is with most previous monsters, one can turn off the maintenance light without the dealer hooking up computers to the ecu. On the newer 696,796, and 1100s it can't be done. WHY?
So there is no "next scheduled service. Bing... gone". What if you are your own mechanic? What if you HATE the attitudes of all the douche-bags moronic idiots at your dealer? What if you don't want to fork over hundreds of dollars for a tech to perform maintenance that a monkey could do? (no offence Redux)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Aside from what appears to be an anger management issue, I see your point. I do most of my maintenance myself and always have. I guess I've learned NOT to get bogged down by the "system." If you don't want to look at the "wrench," a well placed piece of black electrical tape does the job. Seriously, don't sweat it...just have the dealer turn it off next time around and be sure that he knows that you have no intent of paying for the "service." No offense taken or intended...

·
Banned
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
lol

Redux
that made my day.
I seriously laughed out loud at the anger management part.
u seem like a cool guy
as for the system? EFF the system!
keep on ridin' no matter what

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think we're definitely on the same page with this. This is my first day on the Forum so forgive me if my responses are a bit slow. I live up in Vermont which is sort of out of the main stream of most everything and have learned to slow down and tell the system, politely, of course, to F-off. The only thing I don't slow down on is the Duc. The mountain roads of the Green Mountain State were made for Ducati.

As the old saw goes..."Illigitimus non-carborundum." Pig latin translation: Don't let the bastards wear you down! Ride on pal!

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm attempting to replace the orange orange LEDs in my instruments to blue.While i'm doing it I will check out the wrench icon circuit,if it's only a matter of cutting a circuit board trace i'll do that.
I don't need a light to tell me when the service is due,people got by for many many years without them.
The main reason manufacturers do this is so that people feel that it is necessary to take it back to the dealer for the service,and if it's going back to the dealer there is a very high chance that genuine parts will be fitted.Genuine parts = more money in manufacturers pocket.
Many people feel obliged to get the whole service done at the dealer rather than doing the service themselves and feeling like a tight-arse asking for the service warning to be reset.Dealers don't like doing this either obviously,hence the 5 day wait and $65 price tag.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Agree with Whitey66 on this. This certainly appears to be another clever capitalist trick! That being said, I'm not sure that cutting e circuit board trace is the way to go...the dealer would probably void the warrantee or something like that! YIKES!! I think they've got us lads...go for the small cleverly placed piece of black electrical tape and shazamm...no more wrench icon. Speaking of electrical tape...try placing two small pieces on the front side of the top handlebar clamps and again...shazamm, the glare of the aluminum disappeared from the instrument panel! I save my duct tape for structural uses!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts