Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the real-world maintenance costs of the 696 or maybe 796? I'm considering replacing my aging 2002 SV650 and I love everything about the Monsters except I worry that the 9,000 or so commuting miles I typically ride per year will cost me a fortune in chains/sprockets, tires, valve adjustments, etc. Looks like a 520 series chain, how long do they last?

·
Registered
87 Posts
the chain and sprocket should last just as long as the other ones.
the only thing special about ducaties is the periodic valve check which is about $300 I think for two valve engines.

·
Registered
974 Posts
the chain and sprocket should last just as long as the other ones.
the only thing special about ducaties is the periodic valve check which is about $300 I think for two valve engines.

This is about right, except the that the $300 is only the inspection; if any additional shim work is involved then expect to pay additionally, at least that's how it is in my area. People around here usually end up paying closer to $500-$600 when shims need to be replaced, throttle bodies synced, etc

What are the real-world maintenance costs of the 696 or maybe 796? I'm considering replacing my aging 2002 SV650 and I love everything about the Monsters except I worry that the 9,000 or so commuting miles I typically ride per year will cost me a fortune in chains/sprockets, tires, valve adjustments, etc. Looks like a 520 series chain, how long do they last?
Don't expect any European bike to be as economical to maintain as a Japanese bike. The costs will vary with each brand and model, and with how much work you are willing to do on your own (do you change your own oil? adjust your own chain? etc), but IMO expect the dealer maintenance costs to be approximately double the cost of Japanese bikes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do almost all of my own work on the bike other than messing with the engine, so I don't yet do my own valve checks or adjustments. I could learn but I don't have a garage and use the bike daily, so I'm limited to projects that can easily be done in one sunny afternoon.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
a valve job costs $850 by me. don't know if that involves TB syncs and all that or if it would be more.

you can do the valve inspection and replacement in a day with a ton of research on how to do it, and you'd have to rent all the tools and whatnot. or you can buy all the tools, but you'd have to hope they have the proper size valve shims at your dealer, in which case you'd be better off renting the tool kit which comes with a shim kit. renting the tools costs about $100 and includes shipping to and fro.

what i do is i use my own feeler gauges. i take the bike apart and check the shim gaps. if one is out of spec, then i rent the tools. it only takes 2 days to arrive, and if i need my bike, i can always put it back together until the tools arrive and i'm ready to do the work. saves me $750.

·
Registered
87 Posts
What I think works best is set up a piggy bank and name it Cat Valve check, throw in $2 everyday if you need a valve adjustment every year.
For me I think is about one valve adjustment every two years considering how I ride.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Belts every two years? And the valve adjustments are pretty important from what I understand. This might not be the bike for me...

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
you can do the belts yourself. i buy mine from ca cycleworks, $80 for the pair. most riders get them every two years regardless of mileage. I change mine according to mileage which is 15k miles. depending on how much i ride, i might change them every 3-4 years, or i might do it during the valve inspection since i have it all apart anyway.

If you feel these expenses are too much and you don't have the resources to do it yourself, then no, the duc won't be for you. something you can do is buy one with low mileage, ride it for a few thousand miles and see if you like it and are willing to learn to do the work, and if you're not then sell the bike. That's actually how I got into ducs; i wanted to see what the big deal was. I liked the bike a lot, so i learned to do all the work myself.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Yes, the belt interval that Ducati recommends is 2 years. That being said, I've never heard of anyone breaking a belt. We just do it because of the possible horrific consequences if a belt were to break.

I think that if you averaged it out over, say 10 years, you would spend about $200 a year more on maintenance for a 2V Ducati than a similar sized Asian bike. I think that it's more than worth that premium to get to ride a Ducati vs some generic Honda.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts