Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

I posted this previously and despite a lot of views no one replied. Perhaps my query is very naive, but i would really appreciate a reply.

The lights are giving me some trouble for some time. They go off suddenly and high beam indicator lights on. After some time, they come back automatically. Over the last few days, i have found that they are affected by turning the handle. Now i am guessing that their is a loose connection or something, but i am not sure what to check. Could anyone guide me on that? If you can direct me to another post or video that would be awesome.

Look forward to some help. Can't take it to a dealer as they are bloody expensive here and i would want to keep them as my last resort.

Regards
NNN

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Beside the left fork (sitting on the bike for reference) you should be able to see a connector that looks like a cube. If you can't see the connector, turn the bars as far to the right as they will go. Check to make sure that it is connected securely. If it is, remove the headlight assembly to see if wires are getting pinched.

Have you replaced anything in the headlight assembly lately? Done any work on any other areas of your bike?

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
There have also been reports of wire chafing around that connector.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Beside the left fork (sitting on the bike for reference) you should be able to see a connector that looks like a cube. If you can't see the connector, turn the bars as far to the right as they will go. Check to make sure that it is connected securely. If it is, remove the headlight assembly to see if wires are getting pinched.

Have you replaced anything in the headlight assembly lately? Done any work on any other areas of your bike?
Thanks. is it the white plastic thing you are talking about? I have not done any modifications on the bike.

This morning the lights went off on the motorway and the high beam indicator light came on. I pressed the high beam switch couple of times and it was OK.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Yeah, the white plastic cube is what I'm talking about. But, if it happened to you while goin down the road and flicking the high beam fixed it, it makes me think there's a short rather than a bad connection.

Like Tony said, check for chafing around the connector. I'm not an expert with electrical stuff, so I hope someone else will chime in.

·
Registered
198 Posts
It could also be in where the high bean switch is located. Take the screws out and have a look in there. If water gets in there, it can cause trouble. It did with my horn button. I cleaned it and put dialectic grease on it. Good as new now.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi guys

I posted this previously and despite a lot of views no one replied. Perhaps my query is very naive, but i would really appreciate a reply.

The lights are giving me some trouble for some time. They go off suddenly and high beam indicator lights on. After some time, they come back automatically. Over the last few days, i have found that they are affected by turning the handle. Now i am guessing that their is a loose connection or something, but i am not sure what to check. Could anyone guide me on that? If you can direct me to another post or video that would be awesome.

Look forward to some help. Can't take it to a dealer as they are bloody expensive here and i would want to keep them as my last resort.

Regards
NNN
Hi guys

Regards
NNN
Hi NNN,

I’m having this exact problem.

Connector is good, wiring from connector to headlight and wiring in headlight is good but I haven’t followed the wire any farther. Any help on fixing this issue would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Pullbackchap

·
Registered
105 Posts
dielectric grease is god's gift to the world. a can will last you a lifetime and no need to worry about water ingress. I agree with TimB, there is a lot going on in the left hand switch box and a drenching of electric parts cleaner followed by DEG is a good idea, even if it doesn't fix your problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi NNN,

I’m having this exact problem.

Connector is good, wiring from connector to headlight and wiring in headlight is good but I haven’t followed the wire any farther. Any help on fixing this issue would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Pullbackchap
Hi guys

Regards
NNN
Hi guys

Regards
NNN
I followed the wires from the connector towards my battery, squeezing gently as I worked my way down the wire. I found an area that would initiate the light when I applied pressure. Removing the electrical tape carefully, I found a splice in the wire. It seems to be the point of most stress when the wheel is fully turned to the right.

Easy peasy.
1A8487D8-E54F-4B0D-9296-9DF29FDDC367.png

·
Registered
105 Posts
Must've fried a relay too, because now my turn signals work, but my headlight only works when the flash trigger is pulled in 😂😂😂

Ripped out the whole wire harness and traced all the wires. No additional damage. Fun waste of a day

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi guys

Regards
NNN
I had same issue, turned out the connection at the stock quick connect mounted on left of head tube had deteriorated. Had to remove quick connect and splice in new wire. Very easy and solved problem. Good luck. Couldn’t find new quick plug. Wire to wire splice worked fine, using enough wire to accommodate turning radius of bars✌

1 - 13 of 13 Posts