Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone having a hard time starting a 696 when cold? It almost seems like the battery is a little on the weak side. If it doesn't start right away, when I crank it, the battery seems weak. It gets even harder after the bike runs for a few seconds and dies before the fast idle kicks in or I adjust the lever.

I will have dealer look at it at 600 miles.

I just want to see if anyone else has had similar.

Jim

·
Registered
55 Posts
We had a problem with hard starting, until someone recommended following the owner's manual precisely. If temp under 95F, then move the fast idle lever all the way back and hit the starter without touching the throttle. Starts everytime (so far). Give it a minute or two to settle down before riding.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Concur with Dr.D's reply. I do exactly as he recommends and have never had any problems. Also, because of the small battery size I'd keep the battery on a "Tender" when the bike is at home.

·
Registered
197 Posts
apparently, ducati will be offering a software update via dealers soon to address this specific issue for those that are having issues starting their bikes. will let you know as soon as i hear anything more.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
apparently, ducati will be offering a software update via dealers soon to address this specific issue for those that are having issues starting their bikes. will let you know as soon as i hear anything more.
Thanks. These type of responses are what makes this board so valuable. I knew something wasnt right. I have tried the first suggestions and it seems better. Will continue to watch this.
Jim

·
Registered
197 Posts
all for the common good, i say. isn't that what it's all about?

cheers :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
696 cold start problems

We had a problem with hard starting, until someone recommended following the owner's manual precisely. If temp under 95F, then move the fast idle lever all the way back and hit the starter without touching the throttle. Starts everytime (so far). Give it a minute or two to settle down before riding.
I have a problem is the start is at 55F or less and the bike is cold.??? It seems to like the idle lever about 1/3 back under these conditions. It can take several minutes to get going. I'll have a tune done during the winter storage period at the dealer, and hopefully the software update if it's available.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My friend just told me this morning his 696 doesn't start well on the colder mornings. I'll be looking out for something to recommend for him.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have a problem is the start is at 55F or less and the bike is cold.??? It seems to like the idle lever about 1/3 back under these conditions. It can take several minutes to get going. I'll have a tune done during the winter storage period at the dealer, and hopefully the software update if it's available.
The manual states that:
-- Temp between 50 F and 95 F, put the cold start lever all the way towards you. Start without touching the throttle.
-- Temp below 50 F, do as above, but idle for 5 minutes to permit the engine to warm up.
-- Temp above 95 F, or engine warm, do not use cold start lever.

Still, I hope that software mod comes out and helps.

·
Registered
56 Posts
wait a minute - there is a manual? :eek:

actually i went through the 700 miles fighting the issue, the problem seemed to go away when i installed the termis (as it turned out the weather just warmed up). I finally read the manual about 1500 miles ago and have been using the proper start up procedure as suggested earlier and have had no problems since.

good luck.

·
Registered
197 Posts
yes, it's in that giant, white package the dealer gave you that weighs about 5lbs...

by the way, you should never ride a bike until the engine is warm. 50% of all engine wear occurs on start-up, so warming your oil and engine components before subjecting them to any stress (i.e. riding) is a good idea.

·
Registered
56 Posts
5 lbs is right - but the mystery is gone when you realize the front 1/5 of the book is really in english....

on a serious note - good point on the warm up - and it is a practice that I have always followed. [thumbsup]

? though - after you go through the cold start process and the bike starts - should you turn the choke (choke - i know it is not really a choke per say - fuel injection and all - but it describes the lever well) down right away so the engine can get lubed well at low idle - or does it not really matter at what rpm the lubing process happens at?

·
Registered
197 Posts
having had a 696 for 6,000 miles and now an 1100S, on the 696, i would let the engine warm up below 2,500 rpm. on the 696, i used to adjust the cold start lever so the engine wouldn't rev above 3,000 rpm.

i also only ride after i see 2 bars on the display (which gives me around 5 mins to close and lock the garage door, and getting fully geared up for the ride).

·
Registered
56 Posts
thanks nutty - i am at about 3500 miles on my 696 and am also considering upgrading at some point to the 1100S - i know it is unrelated to the thread - but have you posted your experience on this upgrade anywhere else on the forum? Can you talk about the trade in process or sale of the 696 and what you think of the 1100S in comparison?

thanks,

·
Registered
197 Posts
i can't provide specifics with regard to a sale or trade-in, etc. due to an agreement with ducati.

i can say that i was extremely well looked after by my dealer and am happy with my dealings with ducati.

with regard to the differences between the two bikes, i can say that the 1100S sits taller, has a slower turn-in, much better suspension, exactly the same fuel economy, a nice white display as opposed to the orange, has the same horrible high standard gearing which i changed immediately, and forms the basis for a long-term bike that i feel happy about long-term ownership and spending money on upgrades that i wouldn't do on the 696. this is not because the 696 is a bad bike, rather the amount of money i would have to spend wouldn't have made it economically viable given the price difference and options available for the 1100.

the 696 is more 'easy fun', though as the smaller size makes it more flickable, but the extra torque of the 1100 is utterly addictive in a 2nd/3rd gear roll on from 4,000 rpm that the 696 can't match. the 1100 doesn't want to rev as high as the 696, but since i spend most of my time riding between 3,500 rpm and 6,000 rpm (on lower gearing) i'm happier with the 1100 engine overall.

i aim to keep the 1100 for a long time and plan on completely transforming the bike over the coming years. in 2-3 years, i think i can get the 1100S to be a very special, unique motorcycle.

my wife has a new 696, so i'll have a ride on that after i've done 3,000 miles on the 1100 and get a really good idea of the fundamental differences between the 2 bikes.

i can say, that both bikes make you feel special when you ride them. perhaps that is the greatest compliment i can bestow upon them, and though it might surprise some, i honestly don't regard the 696 as the lesser bike, just more limited as a canvas as a long-term prospect.

feel free to ask any questions, and if you like i can post some pics of the two bikes side by side.

·
Registered
56 Posts
that's a great response nutty,

it mirrors many of my thoughts. this is my first ducati (the 696) and i have been and am very impressed with the look and feel of the bike. You think it and the bike will perform. roll ons are tough in any gear - but that may change when i go to the 14T front as suggested all over this forum...

for me - the features of the 1100S tell a better Ducati story (single swing arm, dual firings, dry clutch, etc) and it is that that makes it a better "canvas" in my own mind. Having said that - is it worth the money to upgrade...
(deep thought for the day - you dont have to answer)

I would imagine you could get a greater lean on the 1100 also? anyway - if you post the pics of the two side by side I would be interested in seeing them... You may want to start a thread on the comparisons for others thinking about the change or on the fence about which one to buy.... I would say for my first ducati - I am very glad that I started with the 696 as it has brought me to the "brand" and world of Ducati and truly could see it in my garage for a very long time... (or more to the point on the road)

thanks again,

·
Registered
197 Posts
that's a very good idea, and i will post a new thread as you suggest (perhaps moving my previous post) when i do so.

we're about to leave for england for 10 days, and actually go to oulton park for the last round of british superbikes as a good way to decompress from all the family running around we'll be doing.

i'll take some new photos and post some pics of the two bikes side by side when we get back.

cheers,

nutty

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
5 lbs is right - but the mystery is gone when you realize the front 1/5 of the book is really in english....

on a serious note - good point on the warm up - and it is a practice that I have always followed. [thumbsup]

? though - after you go through the cold start process and the bike starts - should you turn the choke (choke - i know it is not really a choke per say - fuel injection and all - but it describes the lever well) down right away so the engine can get lubed well at low idle - or does it not really matter at what rpm the lubing process happens at?
The cold start idle lever should be used to maintain a constant 1,500 RPM during warm-up.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts