Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a couple of weeks, I'll be receiving the tail bag made for the 696, and sold through Ducati, which mounts via the bolts that currently hold down the color matched rear seat cover. I may someday do a tour with the bike and wondered if anyone has used the hard saddle bags, also made for Ducati (by Givi, I think), in conjunction with this same tail bag.

I've looked at other after market manufacturers and like the clean mount and style of the Ducati branded bags, so please, no other suggestions here. Besides, the tail bag is already on the way from Italy. My local shop had the saddle bags, but had (apparently) never mounted them yet. Anyone know of anyone else who's used both bags together? I remember seeing mounting instructions, on-line, for the saddle bags at one point, but it was hard to tell if there would be a compatibility issue with the tail bag.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I realize this thread is a few years old but I can't seem to find that info either for some reason. I'd like to see a pic.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'm not 100% sure what saddle bags were being spoke of. I have the the DP tank, tail and semi rigid saddle bags (the ones that clip to wire frames to hold the bags firmly out away from the ehaust). These bags all fit very well and work great together.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sounds like you are talking about the same ones I was. Do you happen to have any pics so I can see how they all look together? I guess that's a dumb question. What kind of Duc owner doesn't have pics?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ducati Panniers & Tailbag Pics

I have both, have pics, but don't have host picture site set up to display them here... (I tried once, but it ask me to insert an url...?). Anyway, if anyone wants them, send me a personal message and I'll forward them too you.

The look good, work well. Kinda pricey, but worth it I suppose.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Are the Ducati bags big enough for a long ride holding the essentials and a small amount of clothing?? ie. a week or so?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ducati Pannier Capacity

Are the Ducati bags big enough for a long ride holding the essentials and a small amount of clothing?? ie. a week or so?
With regards to the capacity-

If you think ultra-light, it's doable. I only had time for an over-nighter, but it was camping and I had more than enough for late September in the Pacific Northwest mountains. My buddy, who had bigger hard-cases on his Buell, took my ultra-light tent.

I packed a moderate sized hiker's mess kit, Thermarest, sleeping bag, a change of clothes, and my sundries without any cramming. If I had to do it alone (and still camp), I would have strapped my tent in a water-proof sack on top of one of the panniers. If one wasn't concerned about inclement weather, one could pack a few changes of underclothes, t-shirts and an extra pair of pants if necessary. You just have to be choosey on the material type so it packs well and keep versatility in mind when selecting garments.

Keep in mind, I didn't use a tank bag at all. I don't like them. That would certainly allow for a substantial increase in clothing packed and maybe even room leftover for a nice SLR camera.

Hope that helps! Camping on the Monster was fun! It's a versatile bike in good weather and even handled a steep, rutted dirt road into our camp site in the Blue Mountains of Northeast Oregon. I figure an taller windscreen and heated grips (along with waterproof boots) would make the Monster a decent touring bike for longer trips in cold or "iffy" weather.

Mtbjay

1 - 7 of 7 Posts