Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Short version: Got hit, got insurance check, getting parts. List to follow.
Long version: A couple weeks ago I was buzzing down near LAX minding my own lane (left lane of a 3 lane that leads into the tunnel under LAX). Doing 15-20 I'd guess; it was just after the light turned green... BAM! This chick in the center lane decides she needs in my lane. She stomped on the gas (I was around her blind spot at the time) and swerved into my lane. Caught my front tire and flipped the handlebars left, slamming them into the left side of the tank. I instantly went down on my left side. She took off. Yup - hit-n-run:eek:. So traffic stopped behind me and with no shoulder I was stuck with shaking off the dust and picking up the pieces while my adrenaline was kicking hard. The gal behind me was out of her car and exclaimed "I can't believe she didn't even stop." At this point I needed to call the cops, call my insurance, and get to a safe spot (first!). Immediate problem was that the left peg and toe lever were busted off (new rearset!) so I hand shifted it (grab onto remaining post) into 3rd and start the bike. Slip the clutch and give 'er some gas... off we go.
The cops said they'll never catch her as I didn't get a plate #, but my insurance company was great (thanks Geico!). I text'd my peeps at work to let them know I'd be late, but after checking the bike and myself out, I figured it would be less hassle to just ride into work and ride it to the dealership after.
So now I've got a check for over 3k with no frame damage. So yesterday I sat with the guy in the service dept and went over what I wanted to do. I'd already bought ASV shorty levers and the Speedymoto tall boy clip-ons, but neither had been installed yet (lucky me). I'm blacking out the bike so I'm hoping that I'll be able to get some powder coating and anodizing done for parts that too. Here's the list so far (shoot me feedback if you think you have better options - I'll be making the orders next wed):
  • Front turn signals
    MBW Motorcycle products wrap around billet LED lights
    Part number: WA56-BC (56mm, Black w/ clear lens)
    $259.95 (pair)
  • Clip On Bars
    Speedymoto Tall boy 3” Clip ons
    Already Purchased
  • Clutch/Brake levers
    ASV shorty levers, black w/red dial
    Already purchased
  • Exhaust
    QD EXHAUST EX-Box System: M696
    $999.00 (Needs to be powder coated matte black)
  • Rearset Controll Kit
    Rizoma PE2098
  • Passenger pegs
    Rizoma PASSENGER PEGS -PAIR (FOR RIZOMA CONTROLS PE209B) PE576B
  • Mirror
    CRG LaneSplitter (Left side) $80
  • Rear turn signals
    Rizoma FR025B
  • Grips
    Rizoma GR213A (option: GR215B)
  • Frame Sliders
    Speedymoto
  • Anodize front forks black
  • Powder coat headlight black
  • Replace spring with Black (or powdercoat)
  • Tires needed (suggestions! I commute.)
Already have the short DP tail kit and DP Lux seat.
Will post pics later. BTW - I've got the Black 696.

·
Registered
197 Posts
be prepeared to wait on the speedymoto frame sliders - 8 weeks and counting for me :)

as for tires (especially if you commute), i can highly recommend michelin pilot road 2CT's. way better than stock

·
Registered
197 Posts
bike damage just plain sucks! especially when it's not your fault.

my mate said it best: ride like everyone else around you is drunk and getting a blow job.

+1 on the rizoma rear sets. next big upgrade to the monster once we get into our new house.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As for the sliders -Great... I'm sure I'll be out for weeks anyway so what's a few more... I suppose I could always look at another brand (suggestions?) Thanks for the tire recommendation!

·
Registered
197 Posts
i'm going to get michelin pilot power 2ct's fitted at 4,000 miles. the stock tyres are great on the 1100 and offer plenty of feel.

had pilot road 2ct's on the 696 and was very happy with them.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So it turned out that the insurance check was for $3k which meant I had some decision making to do - spend more out of pocket, or cut back on the with list. I'm going to spend around $700 for my part, and I axed the new exhaust for now, same with the frame sliders. I'll have to wait on some of the powder coating and anodizing too. I had to get new grips but I went with the D3 grips that look damn close to the Rizoma ones (and about $150 less...). I'm super stoked about the new rear set and passenger pegs + the clip ons and such. Will post pics in a couple weeks when I get the bike back.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK all... got the bike back last night! I had to trim down my wish list for this round of funding. I decided to leave the exhaust for now as it was a "want" and not a "need." The Rizoma rear set and passenger pegs are awesome! Expensive, yes... but so nice. I couldn't believe the level of adjustability and the whole thing looks so clean now. I gotta say that my favorite part might be the new front turn signals. The guys at the shop had never seen these so I feel like I'm breaking new ground here (at least on a Duc). I'll try and post the pictures tonight. Also, I've got to play with the clip-ons to get the ride position dialed in. More about that later.

Now I get to figure out what to do with all the spare parts - any takers?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Waiting to trim the antlers

I've been busy... Here are some pics. I relocated the instrument pod last night. It leaves the mounting bracket, which is part of the headlight frame, but I'll be cutting those off this weekend. I also included some pics of the front turn signals (or lack thereof). also a pic of the Rizoma rear set and passenger pegs. And finally, the Speedymoto tallboy clip ons and top triple clamp (which allowed me to reposition the instrument pod. Let me know what you think!

Some of the pics aren't uploading so I'll post them later...

·
Registered
342 Posts
I've been busy... Here are some pics. I relocated the instrument pod last night. It leaves the mounting bracket, which is part of the headlight frame, but I'll be cutting those off this weekend. I also included some pics of the front turn signals (or lack thereof). also a pic of the Rizoma rear set and passenger pegs. And finally, the Speedymoto tallboy clip ons and top triple clamp (which allowed me to reposition the instrument pod. Let me know what you think!

Some of the pics aren't uploading so I'll post them later...
very interesting, are you just mounting the instrument pod lower with the factory mounts or are you mounting it to the triple tree?

·
Registered
371 Posts
When I built mine i did something similar- instead of buying stock crap, I got aftermarket for about the same price- woodcraft rearsets and clip ons, I put a ss swing arm on it, termi's, you'l get the idea...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts