Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought a used 696 last week and I'm having problems with the battery.

The seller told me that the battery is completely dead and needs replacing (and it was).

It seems though that it wasn't the whole story. I had the battery replaced by a motorcycle shop and they told me that everything looks ok.

This morning the battery had so little power that the start motor did't spin at all and I had to push start the bike. After running for a while it starts again.

This leads me to believe the battery is discharging somehow when the bike not being used. Any clue as to where to look for the problem?

ALSO, what kind of reading should the battery display have? I just checked mine and after a 10 minute ride to work it's about 13,8 when the bike is running on idle.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I bought a used 696 last week and I'm having problems with the battery.This leads me to believe the battery is discharging somehow when the bike not being used. Any clue as to where to look for the problem?

ALSO, what kind of reading should the battery display have? I just checked mine and after a 10 minute ride to work it's about 13,8 when the bike is running on idle.
The 13.8 is a good reading after a ride, overnight it should float back down to 12.8. If it drops out lower than that, probably have a short somewhere.

might have to look for short. Any electrical mods done that might be suspect?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I haven't done any and to my knowledge neither has the previous owner.

I used a Cetek charger to charge the battery and the dash tells me it's 12.4. When I start the bike it goes up to 13.7 -13.8.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
If it is less than 12.8vdc at "rest" then it's wasted. Just pick up a new one and keep it on a trickle charger. It will last for years.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can get it up to 12.4 by charging it but once the power is on and the bike is not running it drops by 0.1 every 3 seconds. I know the lights and stuff suck a lot of power but that seems a bit excessive.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Did some more testing. I charged the battery for 3-4 hours and got it up to 12,78 placed it on the bike in the evening and measured the voltage again in the morning and it was 12,65.

Apparently the bikes volt meter and an external one give slightly different readings. I tested the battery with two different voltage meters
And the bikes dash display gives a reading that is consistently 0,2 lower than my two separate voltage meters I used.

I haven't got a clue if that is excessive loss of voltage overnight?

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
You need to take the bike out of the equation. Put the battery on a bench and charge it for a few hours. Measure the voltage (should be at least 12.8). Then leave it sit on the bench for 24 hours or so and measure the voltage again. If it's less than 12.8, toss it and get a new one.

Ok tree huggers, recycle it properly, and get a new one.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Recycled the battery and got yet another new one. Charged it fully and put it on the bike. After a 5 km ride measured the volts and got 13.30 after switching off the power. The bike charges the battery (13.8 reading) and the battery receives the charge so it's looking good.

If it dies on me now, the problem has to be something other than the battery.

The service of the biggest retailer and importer called me today and informed that some damage may have occurred to the regulator (if I transated it correctly) when the previous owner rode the bike with a dead/broken battery.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
They may have a point. The charging system is really meant to maintain the battery and run the bike. It puts quite a strain on the system if it has to run the bike and also charge a battery from 'dead'.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Webbiker, I sent you a pm. My battery died a few days ago too. Not sure if its just a bad battery, bike is draining all the juice or if the charging system is fried.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Replied.

Get a volt meter and Cetek style charger + pigtail for your battery in any case.
That way you can check your battery from the pigtail ends without removing anything and charge up the battery if necessary also without any hassle.

·
Registered
302 Posts
As I park my bike in a carport with no power outlet, having leads for a battery tender really does me no good. I'm thinking about installing some leads to the battery so I can jump my bike if this ever happens again. How about some 8 gauge wires with a 30amp fuse running from the battery terminals to under the seat?

or

Can I just jump the bike from the battery tender leads? I'm not sure what gauge the battery tender leads are or what amp fuse is in line on the battery tender leads.

Does anyone know how many amps the bike will draw when starting?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Took my old battery to the shop tonight to have it charged and load tested. They said the battery wouldn't even take a charge. Probably a bad cell. That's good to know. Now I feel more confident that it was just a bad battery and not something wrong w/ the regulator/stator.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Each cell should be 2.1 volts when charged,you have 6 cells so that equals 12.6 volts when fully charged.Anything that measures over this is only surface charge,put the headlights on for 30 seconds or so to remove this extra charge then retest.To check for current drain on the battery when it's switched off,you need to connect and Ammeter in series on either the negative or positive side of the battery.A data logging multimeter is perfect for this job.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Each cell should be 2.1 volts when charged,you have 6 cells so that equals 12.6 volts when fully charged.Anything that measures over this is only surface charge,put the headlights on for 30 seconds or so to remove this extra charge then retest.To check for current drain on the battery when it's switched off,you need to connect and Ammeter in series on either the negative or positive side of the battery.A data logging multimeter is perfect for this job.

The Voltage you state is only accurate for a wet cell battery

AGM batteries which most Current 2001+ Ducati use (YT12b-bs) should have a 2.3-2.475 Volts per Cell

That is why a new battery should be charged by a regulator that can put in 2.3-2.475 Volts per cell which is (2.3X6)-2.475x6) = 13.8- 14.85

Even some battery chargers like the old regular Battery Tender (not the "plus") will not do your battery justice

The first load applied to a battery that is not fully charged will make the maximum charge point at whatever the batter was charged to.

AGM Batteries require a higher voltage recharge requirement and a longer period of constant voltage absorption, that is also why current Ducati Motorcycles need a Voltage Regulator that charges Above 13.6V

These reasons is Why The regulator on most NEW Ducati ECU's Specifically the new Monsters is not up to par.

I do this for a living, I see tons of NEW Ducs that have these problems. Alot of the older ones, will be fine. They could be better.

I am just trying to help out, if you want to go get a battery, do it. Until you figure out your problem you will replace batteries every year or whenever the cell in the battery gets sulfated from not being charged sufficiently due to the bad regulator from Ducati.

·
Registered
186 Posts
If your bike is under warranty have the regulator tested, and then replaced with the 848/1198 regulator. Plug and play and on your way. The regulator charges much better (at the proper voltage)

·
Registered
32 Posts
If your bike is under warranty have the regulator tested, and then replaced with the 848/1198 regulator. Plug and play and on your way. The regulator charges much better (at the proper voltage)
HELP please. 09 696 just out of warranty. Battery went dead, original owner replaced it. We buy bike at 24 months old, with 383 miles, now after 2000 miles battery goes down too low to crank (click click).

Purchased new Yuasa YT12B-BS, charged with acid, showed 12.96 volts, installed. Rode bike this morning, battery drains too low to start on way home with engine light on.

Put battery on trickle charger. Pull rectifier. Checked voltage from 3 yellow wires of stator per service manual 27v +-10 @ 2000 rpm, 2 of the yellow wires check OK one shows only 11v. Check [email protected], 2 combinations show 55v one showed 28v.

Can you help me confirm the stator and magnet needs replacing? Thanks. Can't believe such a low use bike has a bad stator!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Picked up a used stator for 620 multi, good news it works, bad news it is/was too big in diameter to fit. It is like .110" oversize.

Don't try this at home! LOL

Made a fixture to center the stator, drilled and tapped for 6mm bolts, mounted in the lathe (dialed it in) bolted the stator up, ziptied the wire out of the way.

·
Registered
1 Posts
any suggestions on a good battery for ducati monster 696?
I'm in search of one that can/will last a week or two without a charge or trickle charger plugged in 24/7

at the moment I need to boost the bike or push start every time I ride.
(when I turn the key, the lights go on but when I push the start button it doesn't turn over)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts