Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw the new Monster 796 yesterday. I absolutely love it. I talked to the mechanic about the exhaust.

On my Sport Classic, going with the Termi slip-ons/Race ECU completely changed the tune and performance of the engine, and it got rid of the 02 sensor. Unless the O2 was bypassed, it was hard to get the bike to idle smoothly, or to avoid the surge at around 3500 RPM.

However, the mechanic said that does not work on the new Monsters. The slip-ons/Race ECU only lets the bike run a little richer in the 3000 RPM and above range, and does nothing to keep it from running lean at idle. He said the O2 stays a big part of the system, and in fact, there is one for each cylinder. The mechanic said in order to get the bike to idle and run at top performance at the full RPM range, you would need the full race system, not just the slip-ons/Race ECU. BTW, he was not just trying to sell me a more expensive system.

Does anyone have the full race exhaust (header and pipes plus the CF Termis and Race ECU) on their 696 or 1100? If so, how expensive was the package? And are you happy with the performance?

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
When I put the slip ons on my bike it didn't seem to run right until I took it out and gave it what someone on the forum called "an Italian tune up". After a hundered or so miles of really whomping on it, the computer adjusted to the new setup. But it will only make adjustments up to a point and then it's time to go with one of the remap solutions.

I'm talking with Protune about the Powermap programmer that they are just about to release. It seems to be the best answer, although people seem to be having great results with a PowerCommander V (which does eliminate the 02 sensors)

I guess the bottom line is that you can change the tune of the bike, and you don't necessarily need to go with the full race system to get good results.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I added the Termi slip on's to my 1100 a few days ago. Different bike. Much smoother in the 3,000 range and no idle issues. My mechanic says the opposite, the o2 sensors are ignored. Maybe a tech can chime in and offer a third opinion??

·
Registered
30 Posts
I added the Termi slip on's to my 1100 a few days ago. Different bike. Much smoother in the 3,000 range and no idle issues. My mechanic says the opposite, the o2 sensors are ignored. Maybe a tech can chime in and offer a third opinion??

They definitely are NOT ignored.

The Siemens ECU is a "new breed" type deal. Not many manufacturers offer anything like it yet. Basically it uses the input from the 02 sensors to 'learn' how the bike is running, then instead of following a base map, it uses base ranges and tunes or calibrates itself (within a predetermined range) constantly. Without an 02 sensor, motorcycle ecus follow a table, based on throttle position, speed, rpm etc for how to fuel. With an 02 sensor, the ecu determines this for us. Sadly maps are still much more efficient for useability and power output

This is both good and bad. It is not a great tune, even with the Race ECU, because it cannot be taken out of its range (PCV may be able to do this, but I don't know much about how it functions yet). The standard tune range/formula gives a lean down low, rich up top situation which is not ideal for most situations. You can richen out the mixture screws, but this tends to cause the bike to lose alittle on the high end. Not the worst thing.

The RACE ECU gives a richer base map across, and a more even map up top. Basically it takes the entire calibration range, and gives it better ability to tune itself properly. However, this is still not perfect, and still lean down low (but not as bad).

The FULL SYSTEM on the 1100 eliminates the flapper valve, and provides the best tuning range for that motor. This exahust flows better at high RPM, so it provides more power up top. The slips leave the flapper valve intact, which will cause more exhaust restriction...not desireable for power/tuning ease, but nicer to the neighbors and the planet.

Because the 02 sensors on the 1100 are retained with both Slip and FUll systems (and the catalytic converters are lost with both), there is much less benefit gained by going to the full system compared to on other bikes. However the full does provided a small gain over the slip -- whether this is worth the extra $1500? is for you to decide

the 696 need only a slipon (infact, there isn't a full system for it, because the piping diameter is already big enough where any larger size would negate power)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Thanks for the info. Looks like the local shop needs to do some reading! I will forward this to them and bring them up to speed. They also suggested that the TPS needed a reset after I installed the slip ons. Thanks to this site I found that not to be the case and let them know.

·
Registered
81 Posts
"The slips leave the flapper valve intact, which will cause more exhaust restriction...not desireable for power/tuning ease, but nicer to the neighbors and the planet."

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but you seem very knowledgeable...

I have a M1100 with the Termi slip-on/DP ECU kit. I was investigating a lean stumble at 3000 RPM, so I removed the heat shield on the flapper valve and watched it while I slowly increased engine RPM.

In neutral, the valve closed around 3000 RPM and opened around 5000. In first gear with the clutch in, I was unable to make the valve move at any RPM. It stayed in the default full-open position.

Is it possible that with the kit I have, the flapper valve is used solely to pass noise/emissions tests with the bike in neutral?

Cheers, Tom

1 - 6 of 6 Posts