Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the situation: I cut and cored my pipes probably 5000 miles ago and around 8000 miles it started stalling at lights and stop signs. So, I would mess with the fast idle to get it where it wouldn't do this.
Than a buddy told me to reset my tps...I went to his house and reset it. Bingo!! I rode home(bought 20 miles) brilliant. Next morning blame! same thing.
I took it to the shop and they reset all the throttle bottle positions and all the jazz one does to mess with the tps adjustments. And it is worse!!! So, the conclusion is TPS is bad. I order one from Ducati Omaha and put it on and it the same. This shop is a very good shop and they have tried everything to get going but no luck.

Anybody wanna try to guess what this is???
Thanks in advance for some kinda response....

·
Registered
203 Posts
Please clarify the time frame. You say you did it 5000 miles ago and it started stalling 8000 miles??? I think you mean you did it with 5000 miles on it and 3000 miles later it started acting up??

I guess the point is that it took some time between the cored pipes until it ran poorly.

So how many miles are on the bike now?

When was the last service? Valves adjustment? Almost sound as if the valves are off. Adjusting the tps is making it worse and a new one doesn't solve problem.

Either that or its electrical. Perhaps a burnt wire? It seemed better after friend reset it. Perhaps it did nothing but a wire got moved in the process.

Seems simple enough but when I troubleshoot, I look for the most recent changes, the timeframe since last tune, fuel, then electrical. 95% of problems can be solved by evaluating this process.

Jim

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At 5000 miles on the Odometer I cored the pipes-around the 8000 mile marker it started stalling and low rpm. I kept driving til 10000 that's when I reset the tps. I put the bike in the shop and they did my valves...so, it can't be my valves; they are a very good shop. They gotta be-they race ducs.

Now there is about 10500 on the bike.

They are acting as if it is the ecu, or the tps I bought is bad. BUT the diagnostic thingamajig is saying it is good(I think). So, buying an ECU to see if it actually the ECU seems kinda expensive.

Thanks H2O--whattayathink?

·
Registered
203 Posts
The info definitely helps. Best bet would be to try the ecu...at the dealers expense if it doesnt solve the problem. My theory is to never keep putting electrical parts on to solve a problem...at your own expense. If the dealer is good a reputable as you stated, they should call Ducati if they are stumped.

Have they given you grief about the cored pipes? I dont think they are an issue at all, but the easy way out is to blame your mods and walk away.

Another question. Was there any change in how it ran after the 10k service. Better or worse?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey H2O, it's not at the dealer. it was at a shop that can work on ducs, and they work on a bunch...they were thinking maybe ECU or a wiring problem(but really think it is not a wiring issue). They were thinking maybe fat duc or mad duc???? not sure what it is called, but it is something that trims the O2 sensor...have you heard of this?

When they were doing the valves at the service was when all this started happening. I do everything but the valves...So, they were doing the valves and the guy knew about my idling problem, and called me to see if I wanted him to look at it. They did all the throttle body changes that one does for the tps reset, and it ran worse!!!

So, that's where I am at. It pops when downshifting and stalls when stopping.

And they have been calling a lot of folks for some help.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SO, I fixed it!!! After I got home yesterday and there was no solution from the shop, I started taking everything off. Have never done that to a bike before, but they told me to drive it into a lake(hahaha-would be kinda fun). So, after cleaning throttle bodies and unhooking everything electrical and hookin em back. Oh and one of the injectors was a lil loose. Anyway, after cranking it was still off...I made the fast idle screw idle higher (just so it wouldn't stall) then screwed in the air mix screws and backed them out until it idled higher . Turned it off and pulled the fast idle back a little and re did the air mix again... I did this until the idle was just below 1000. I ended up with the airmix screws about 1.25 out. AND no popping or backfiring at all; it'll still stall once in a while but not all the time. Very livable-better than it was after I cored the pipes! The air screws were about 3 turns out when I began.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I am glad you fixed it. Wonder how the screws ended up almost 3 turns out?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Who knows...I never touched'em. Maybe when the guys were setting up everything that's where they put'em.:confused:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts