Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, guys,

I recently bought a 2007 Ducati Monster 695 Dark. It started and worked pretty nicely after I bought it and I went on a few rides. Worked beautifully, started up with no trouble. Yesterday, when I tried to take it out, though, I barely got it started and the engine died after a short idle. I then tried starting it a few times, way too many clearly since the battery ran down and it wouldn't start. Charged the battery back up, and I can get the starter to fire but the engine doesn't really catch. I've tried moving the cold start lever with really no effect except that it changes how long it takes before it gives up.

Here's how it sounds trying to start. Here's a checklist I've gone through just to eliminate some of the common causes:

1. Tried starting with kickstand down and in neutral
2. Tried starting with kickstand up and in neutral
3. Tried starting with kickstand up and in first, with the clutch fully engaged
4. Switched the battery out
5. Switched the spark plugs out
6. When I turn the ignition key to ON, I can hear the instrument panels whir and then I believe I can hear the fuel pump if I put my ear to the tank

And just to make sure I checked the basics:

• The bike has fuel. I can see it in the tank, but also I refilled it a couple of days ago.
  • Ignition is ON
  • Kill switch is set to Run

Any ideas on anything I should try before I get this taken to a mechanic?

Here's a photo of the bike in happier times :)

·
Registered
443 Posts
Doesn't even sound like it's trying to fire. Could try a shot of carb cleaner in the airbox and see if you can at least get a few pops out of it in order to rule out the ignition and move on to the fuel system.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Pull a spark plug out and put it into the lead and place it where it can be earthed while turning the bike over and look for an actual spark.
Flip the tank up, pull the airbox lid and filter and check if it at least smells like its pouring fuel into the cylinders. Try the carb cleaner while you're there.
Might help identify if its a spark or fuel issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah, that's a good way to test the spark plug. Thanks, man. I'll try that soon and report back. Sorry for the late response, just got a bit of a cold so I've been sitting in bed instead of doing anything worthwhile.

And thanks for the tip on the carb cleaner, guys. Before I actually do it, I do have the 695 with the plastic tank. I don't want to melt through anything else accidentally, do I just lift up the tank and spray it into the airbox?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I just lift up the tank and spray it into the airbox?
Carby/throttle body cleaner in a spray can.
Will work better if you pull the airbox lid and filter off.
Only give a little squirt (half a second) because it may throw some fire back out the throttle bodies.
Do it while the engine is turning over, if it gives a quick start your ignition is working.
You can use WD40 or a tiny bit of fuel but be careful if you use petrol to only have a little bit in a cup because you don't want to be holding an open container of fuel if sends a flame out of the throttle bodies.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haha, I think I'll pass on the petrol and use Gumout in a spray can or something. I'll go by the store tomorrow and get some.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Haha, thanks a bunch for all the tips, guys. I must have been mistaken about the fuel pump the first time. It was the harness for the fuel pump in the end. Just took the bike in to my local shop Desmoto Sport here in SF and they had it all taken care of in a day. Glad to have my bike back! :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts