Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

696 & 1100S - skyline drive, VA. in the clouds...

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
we broke the ride up into 120-150 mile days, leaving on friday afternoon and returning tuesday morning, so it was very doable. i have the DP touring seat which suits me much better than stock. after 150 miles, i was feeling a bit of numb bum, though.

we both have the DP tail luggage (highly recommended) only real issue we had was hotels.com not making hotel reservations despite e-mail confirmation (great over a holiday weekend) and some bugger who managed to run over my tail bag with his SUV when we arrived at the hotel...

i had the suspension set up properly for my weight and riding style and i have to say it makes a huge difference. i had the 1100 over much further than previously (with luggage) and the steering damper was very reassuring in the tight twisties.

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Awesome! I just got back from there, we stayed at Skyland on Friday night and then headed back to Cincinnati on Saturday. That 35 mile an hour speed limit is rough, and there's enough deer there to keep your right around it.

I saw one Pearl 696 riding with a KTM RC8 while up there but it was the only Ducati I saw. (actually they may have been on the Blue Ridge, can't remember).

We started the week before on Saturday, did 8 states in 8 days and 2200 miles..sorry to say did it on my FZ1 though and not my 696. I plan on taking my 696 next year, because I've just got to ride it on the Dragon, 28 and Blood Moutain on my Monster!!

Do you have bar risers or different bars? I've done a few 250 miles on my stock bars, and my arms usually hurt the next day!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wow! 2,200 miles and 8 states beats our miserly effort :)

skyline at 40-45 is very doable and i don't really push it on there as there are just too many animals and blind bends, along with slow traffic. it is a national park, after all.
for pure, spirited twisties riding, route 211 is very hard to beat. obviously built by engineers who actually thought about more than what it cost...

we tried booking at skyland as we have stayed there before but the cabins were all booked.

funnily enough, we plan to ride the whole length of the parkway to the dragon next year.

i don't have risers, but i find the 1100 easier than the 696 over longer distances. i think the position on the new monsters just forces you into wrist ache over big miles.

thinking of going for some nice black rizoma bars & risers next year (can't spend any more on upgrades as we are buying a house - and waiting for it to be built).

all the best,
nutty

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
I hope to do the Dragon and some of the Blue Ridge again next year as well. The NC side of the Blue Ridge is spectacular, and you can't top some of the roads down around the Dragon. South 28, Blood Mountain, Wayh Road, Cherohala Skyway, The Dragon and others I'm sure I haven't found yet.

Blood Mountain might be my favorite and not many people know about it. Two lanes up the hill with a 55 mpg speed limit and banked turns.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the monster is a gravel trap. took me forever to clean the chain & the front sprocket area to get rid of all the small stones and muck i picked up from the ride.

the grunge brush should come standard with monsters... :)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
apparently, they're going to let all the members in congress line up on the side of the road that want the insurance companies to keep their stranglehold on health care, and let newbies on ZX-10R's who don't want to wear helmets have a race and closely follow their progress...

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
apparently, they're going to let all the members in congress line up on the side of the road that want the insurance companies to keep their stranglehold on health care, and let newbies on ZX-10R's who don't want to wear helmets have a race and closely follow their progress...
nice... :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts