Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[smiley=help.gif]

Ok, looking for a first bike. I'm not exactly small enough for some Ninja 250. I'm about 6'3" and 200lbs.

Which size monster would fit me best? The 620 looks good, but the 800 looks better. Would it be way too much for a beginner?

[smiley=help.gif]

·
Registered
128 Posts
Depends on your control. My first bike is the 750 and I'm totally in control...

Have you any training? (I sound like Yoda)

You're a big guy and you would be fine with a bigger bike- if you have some training (MSF).

·
Registered
259 Posts
Size of you and engine displacement have NO relationship. A 620 and 800 are the same physical size so you will "fit" the same on both.

The biggest killer to motorcycling in general IMHO are people who buy more than they can handle. A newbie should start small so when you crack the throttle more than you should you do not crash and ruin the sport. We do not need more road kill! A 250 cc Ninja, a 500CC (in-line four) or a 620 (two cylinder) are all fine choices. It is not a hit at your masculinity. If so, buy a BMW - they are equally as slow, but do not suffer the same stigma. There is a reason why people buy BMW. Great bikes that are not over powered. There is also something incredibly satisfying about putting one through its paces and knowing you can ride it to the limit. Whether that is on a Ninja 250, a Monster 620 of a BMW, you can have a blast.

You can modify the seat to make the bike more comfortable - for your size. I', 6'2 / 225 on a 620 and fit fine for short jaunts. the MOnster (regardless of engine displacement) is not made for us 6+ footers so you will have to compromise to ride one.

If this is your first bike, I would buy the 620. (It was not my first bike - I just like thrashing small things). Buy used to save $$ and spend all your extra money on good gear. There are good bikes from from the Rolex crowd that never made the transition. Take the stickers off if you do not want anybody to know you are on a 620. They can't tell the difference. Go to an MSF course. Then save your pennies for more power if that is what you really need at the end of the day. If I spend more, it will be on a second bike for the long slab cruises.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just my experience. I'm 6'3" and about 230ish. I've got a 750. My first bike was a 600. I took the MSF class on a 500. I've ridden friends R6, R1, Speed Triple and a Boss Hoss. I've never felt engine size matters but rather the power to skill ratio.

Myself I bought the 750 duc instead of a 600 Speed Triple. Pick a bike that as your skill increases you can push a bit harder. Too many people buy bikes they 'grow out of' because they just were not good fits to begin with.

A friend of mines wife had a 250 Ninja that she rode the heck out of and she sure can out ride me any day. Now she has a Speed 4 and i'm scared to even ride over to their house. Skills can offset displacement.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The thing is, it isn't the displacement or my ego i'm worried about. I just want to know if a 620 can haul my fat ass fast enough to make it a good buy. I know the 600 or 620 would be a great beginners bike for anyone, but if my weight is going to be a downside, what do i do? is the 800 too much?
also, i do know they're all the same physical size. but clipons my friend, clipons....

·
Registered
400 Posts
The thing is, it isn't the displacement or my ego i'm worried about. I just want to know if a 620 can haul my fat ass fast enough to make it a good buy. I know the 600 or 620 would be a great beginners bike for anyone, but if my weight is going to be a downside, what do i do? is the 800 too much?
also, i do know they're all the same physical size. but clipons my friend, clipons....
I've got an M750 and it fits me just fine (after installing the clip-ons) and can haul my big behind around. I'm 6'2" and 215. ;)

·
Registered
400 Posts
Oh, and BTW NotSoBushy, us Pigs secretly love quotes such as yours. ;D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am about your size so I would recommend you go for the M800. A M800 you can keep for ever. With the M600 you will only want to trade up after a short while, but remember the 2nd season is the most dangerous one. Most people

·
Registered
259 Posts
Interesting debate ..so let me throw in two last points.

If money is an object, spend more money on good gear. That is the stuff you need when your buttocks hits the pavement. Do not spend all your $$ on the bike and then skimp on the gear. You are better off with top of the line gear and a used Ninja 250 than you are with a M620 and a t-shirt to protect you. I don't buy the cost argument associated with people buying one bike for life.

There is very little difference in HP/Torque between a 620 and a 800. If you go ride two back-to-back, you will have a hard time justifying the "added" power. Which is the reason I do not consider an 800 a lifer. If I bought one bike for 3+ years, I'd be in a M1000. Stuck between a 620 and a 1000 - (assuming you had substantial riding experience - I'd go with the 1000). Otherwise, you need to question what you are buying and why. I'd rather have a pair of leathers and a 620 over a pair of jeans and an 800.

One last twist is that I'd do a track-day event with your car. Yes..CAR. Car track days are great ways to improve your vision (looking ahead and using your peripheral vision) which is very important to safe fun cycling. Something you can do this winter while you are looking for the right bike.

The 620 is not a slow way to travel. I was playing tag with a new 911 Turbo a month ago. I could not pass him on 40+ roll ons, but he could not pull on me either. It has enough two cylinder magic to carry my 225lbs + gear and still hang with some big toys. A 800 probably could have taken him.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Just a comment, my roommate has a 620 and I have an 800 and there is a BIG difference in useable power there. The 800 has enough power to really jump off the line and pop up a wheelie easily. On the other hand, no matter how much you get into the throttle on the 620 it never really takes off. Just my experience...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
iam a fat ass also but iam only 200lbs at six feet but i ride a S4. about all monsters are about the same size. buy a bike you can learn on first (250 ninja, gs500 or a 600, 620 used beat ducati), that you will not mind dropping and having things brake . when you feel like you have out grown this learner bike sell it. you will out grow a small under powered bike but you can learn alot in that time. then get that 800 or 1000 monster. my first bike was a 84 KZ 440 and i put over 16000 miles on that little pony. spend some money on good gear. ;)

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
I have a question i'm 6'5" does all this still apply to me. i have heard that ducs arent really for the short, can any one second that for me. i really the bigs and i hope i dont look too goofy riding one

·
Registered
606 Posts
For what it's worth, I'm 6'5", 247 lbs .currently and ride mostly a S4Rs and am comfortable. Who cares how I look. I ride for me...not to impress the rest of the world. I can ride a 1098 but not nearly as comfortably but the bike is made more for the track I think. I fit my BMW K1200S just fine. I have a 35" inseam.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am 6'4" 200lbs and I look awesome on my bike. All of the monsters are relatively the same size. My first bike was an S2R 800 and I loved it. Like many of the reviews say it is fun, powerful, and controlable. If you are any sort of motorcycle/dirtbike inclined I would go for the 800. It seemed like it didn't take me long at all to master it. My wife now rides it full time and I upgraded to the new S4R which is insane at times but overall the 800 had plenty of power for my size, was an awesome first bike, and if you look at the big picture all tall big guys look a little silly on sportbikes they are small and just sit that way. If you want to look smaller and your worried about your appearance there are cruisers out there too.

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
6'1" on my 695.

I look like a monkey farking a coconut. The coolest coconut farking monkey EVER.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I am 5'4" and am just as comfortable on my Monster 900s as I am on my boyfriend's GSX-R 1000. It all depends on what you're going for. I prefer the Monster for the ergos, since the GSX-R has a long reach over the tank. My boyfriend is 6'4" and looks just fine on my Monster. Being taller just means that you'll be able to bump start the bike on your own. I need help since I can't just run next to it and swing a leg over. [laugh]

·
Registered
21 Posts
I don't think that an 800 would be to much power for you. You can always just not twist the throttle all the way every time you touch it. We still have snow where I'm riding and their is gravel that the city lays down for traction in the middle of winter all over the road still, so I have to accomodate my riding style for it. This, for me, translates into longer following distances; slower more upright turns and not popping wheelies everytime i'm in a lower gear. I have an S4Rt and it's got tons of power but I just relax on the throttle and enjoy just being on the bike. Not everything has to be a race, it's just nice to ride. So get a displacement you can enjoy and just don't drive like a ****ing retard ;D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Brand new to this forum and im looking for some advice. Im 6'3 240 I went to the ducati dealer looking for the 695, which they didnt have. The dealer told me that I would need a bigger bike anyways because of my size so he pointed me to the S2R100o which they had 2 in stock. The bike felt great to sit on. But my big question is, is he telling the truth that i may need a bigger bike or is he trying to sell what he has in stock? A couple of my friends that ride told me also that I may need a bigger bike too.

Thanks for the help and glad to be here.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts