Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am new here and I am looking for my first Ducati. I have a chance to buy a 2003 620ie that is in perfect condition for $5,500 or a 2002 620 Dark that has some dents in the gas tank for $4,000. Both have low milage. I am trying to decide between the two. What is the advantage of one over the other?
Thank you
RJ

·
Registered
109 Posts
whats the mileage on them and is this your first bike?

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used to ride a gs500 about 10 years ago and I ride it for about a year. Never got my license back then. About a month ago I took the MSF course and then got my M license. Both bikes have less than 400 miles on them. I am on a budget and trying to get the most for my money so I started looking at used bikes. Would it be better to get an older 750 or maybe 900? It just looked like these bikes are priced right for the low mileage.
Thanks

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why is the Dark dented? Wrecked or just knocked over?

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Knocked over. He didn't fully extend the kickstand and didn't turn the handlebars to the left. While he was away the bike slowly tilted over and fell on the left side. Choke mechanism slammed the tank. Other than that there is no other problems with the dark model.

·
Registered
109 Posts
the reason i ask the miles is one might be close to 6k, and at that time you have to get the valves checked by a duc mechanic

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like the same thing that happned to me, only I was trying to get off mine at the time. :-[
You could buy a ton of goodies for the 1500 bucks saved! Any body shop can fix the tank for a couple hundred bucks, including paint.
Go for the dark and mod the he!! out of it! ;D

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Herb, I was thinking the same thing. The members photos of their bikes looks like it is common practive to mod it and make it your own. The only difference I can see between the two is that the dark is dark (not red or yellow), it only has one brake disk up front and the rear cowling.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
plenty of stopping power with single disc. IMO you don't need the seat cowl unless the bike is red or yellow. check out the photos.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
DP offers a dual disc kit for the front, and what do ya know, you have extra cash!

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Keep the year in mind also since it is almost 2004. If you buy and want to trade up ar sell it next year, the newer one might have more value. It didn't have the dent in it either. $5500 isn't a bad price. Does it have any mods or aftermarket parts? If you are on a budget too the 620's are better on insurance prices also. I mentioned a few weeks ago that State Farm charged more for Ducs. They said they base prices on cc's but it's not true. 750 and 900 took a steep jump on coverage for me and I am 32 with a clean record.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I was going to get an 02' 620 but waited and got the 03' because of the side stand issue and having to buy the bypass, but that was just me You'll have fun regardless of which one you get

·
Registered
852 Posts
My 2003 Dark has dual front disc brake. Are you sure the one you are looking at only has a single disc?!

I second the 2002 Dark and mod the heck out of it idea...

Leo

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I went for the 2002 Dark. :D
Leo, the 2002 Dark's have one front brake disc.
Nice to find a board where there is lots of good info/advice.
Now you all have done it, I think I'll stick around here a while. :p
RJ

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey, RJ! If they haven't asked me to leave yet, you'll be here forever!

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, the 620 Dark is very fun, so much fun my wife stole it from me. It is now her ride. :eek:
So I guess I am back to square one and I am looking for another Monster. I was kinda leaning towards some of the newer 900's with the adjustable front forks.
Regards
RJ

1 - 17 of 17 Posts