Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody. I'm looking into buying a Monster (I lived in NW Italy for 2 years and fell in love with them.. finally I'm graduating college and will be able to scrimp up the pennies..). I was at a dealer yesterday and they only had 3 Monsters on the floor: a 620 dark, 620 (yellow - my favorite), and an S4R (w/ sweet blue & white stripe paint job). Once I told them the S4R was out of my price range, they tried to get me onto a 620 right then and there (can't blame them, they're salesmen). I am stuck trying to decide on the size right now, and was told there really isn't a lot of noticeable difference between the 620 and the 800 performance-wise. They made the 620 sound like it was a much better deal than the 800. I am inclined to think that they were saying this mostly because that's what they had in-stock (didn't have any 800's) and were trying to move those ones out the door. One guy there told me he had ridden them both and the 620 delivers as much punch off the line as the 800. I've been searching for 0-60 times for them both, but can't find anything for the 800 (the 620 comes in at 4.3 seconds stock from what I've found). I need to be able to beat those rice-burning Civics off the line, so 4.3 seconds is a little high...;)

I've noticed from ducati.com that the 800 has 13 more hp, with only 5 lbs added over the 620. I imagine that would translate to more torque and a quicker 0-60. ???

I am wondering if anyone on the board has ridden them both and could offer some comparisons. Or if there are websites that list these stats (I can read italian well, so if it's a .it site that's fine too). Is the jump up to the 800 worth it?

Thanks and happy riding! I'm dying to become an 'official' member in about a month when I own my own mostro.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I studied road tests, test drove a couple, and computer simulated the performance of ALL the Monsters before I broke down and bought my S4.

The 620 and the 800 are on different planets in terms of performance. Do not believe anyone who tries to tell you the 620 "is almost as strong". They are just trying to sell you what they have in stock.

I found the 620 was great around town when I test drove it, but even solo it was underpowered for highway acceleration.

The 800 on the other hand is so good that it basically is better than the 900 it replaced.

Go with the 800.

Jim G

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bonjourno,if you can affort it go 800,i just got one(yellow)don't regret my choice a bit...arivederchi

ps:i lived in france for a while my Italien is scarce(sorry about the spelling)

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I had ridden both. The M800 pickup faster then the M620. The "feel" of M800 is lighter compare to M620. I don't need to rev over 5500 rpm between gears on M800 (usual daily ride), and 6500 to 7500 rpm on M620.

Conclusion... M800 is more like a V-twin** and M620 is more like (but not quite) an inline-4. They both cornering, braking and looking good. I hope my opinion helps.

** excluded American V-twin, American V-twin has so much low rpm touque.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The 800 on the other hand is so good that it basically is better than the 900 it replaced.
Jim G
Bwaaahhaaaahaahaa! That's funny......

·
Registered
46 Posts
Bwaaahhaaaahaahaa! That's funny......

Hey Jim, were you serious? Just wondering; I am looking into getting either an 03 800 or fi 900. Is the 800 really better? What about the 800 compared to the fi 750?

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RETRO CAN YOU STOP POKING YOUR EYE!!! IT IS NOT GOING TO HELP!!

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies, it sounds like the 800 has more of the punch off the line that I want. The dealer guys, after I asked for comparisons between the 620 and the 800, started talking about just getting the 620 then if it doesn't have enough punch to just add mods (exhaust system, carbon fiber pieces) until it pulls hard enough. My response was that if the 620 doesn't have enough from the start, then why not just start with the 800 that does have enough, then I still have room to add more in the future w/ mods? It's amazing how fast they can change the subject...

I compared the power curves 620 vs 800 on ducati.com and it looks like the 800 has way more torque.

Does anyone have any guesses at how fast a stock 800 will 0-60?[smiley=shocked.gif]

-Wolfman

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
I think one of the Brit Mags (T.W.O. or Bike) tested the 800 at 4.33 (0 to 60).

·
Registered
377 Posts
Hey, Why don't you look for a used 900? I think that would give you your best bang for the buck. I am not sure where you live, but there are a few in Pennsylvania right now.

The air cooled twin is basically bulletproof when left stock. Even with a bore kit and high comp pistons (within range) you can't really hurt the motor.

You may find a used one with plenty of eye candy on it allready.

Run away from the dealer you are talking to right now. They only want to get you on a 620. There is no way in hell that it will run with the 800. I don't care how much carbon fiber is on the thing! The pipes will just draw attention to you when being passed by punks in Honda Civics with fart can exhausts.

I highly doubt that the new 800 can run with a properly set-up 900. I may be biased on that one.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
my .02
I have a lovely 2002 620 and on one of our group rides in Minnesota I was asked if it was a 900 (by a guy riding a 900) Now I can clearly see the difference in a straight away situation as I watch the 900 zoom on by. Its really not all that bad as far as I am concerned. I am pretty happy with it and I have no real desire to go bigger (my motorcycle Herb).

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
BRSimmonsMD: Yes, I am very serious.

With stock gearing, the 800 will outaccelerate the 900 to 60, 80, 100, and the 1/4 mile, and by a lot.

If both bikes are regeared, the 900 gets closer, but is still slower.

The 800 is just a new, much better design.

The 750 was also the old design, and it is barely stronger than the 620. Its key advantage over the 620 is in the 60 to 100mph acceleration runs.

I noticed an interesrting thing in my findings that pretty much sumamrizes it: The older Monsters (750, 900) generated maximum acceleration G's of less than 1.0 (0.9 and .95 respectively) The new Monsters (800, 1000, S4, S4R) all generate well above 1.05 Gs.

The new 620 is the exception to the rule. It only generates about 0.85Gs with stock gearing, but if you're willing to go aggresive enough on the gearing (5400 at 60mph), you'll get 1.04Gs. You'll also increase horsepower available at 60mph in top gear from 28 to 37, an increase of 30%, and just what that bike really needs. It also knocks almost 1/2 second off the quarter mile time. Going somehwat less agressively still helps a lot - 4900 rpm at 60 would be a perfectly sensible rpm given that engine's high rpm nature.

Jim G

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The 2002 Monsters are old design only in horsepower and torque.

The 2002 bikes are a whole new design based on the S4.

Changes:

Immobilzer
New electrical instrument panel
new air box
new exhaust pipes
new mufflers
new S4 derived frame
electronic injection (except 600 Dark)
new 5.9 CPU
new rear suspension layout derived from the SBK
new ajdustable Sachs rear shock
new fork

There are other changes based on the model chosen.

Please look up: www.mcnews.com.au/newbikecatelogue/2002/ducati/monster/default.htm

Tom.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Darkride was right, after 2002 the monster is a lot better.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I believe the 800 replaces the 750, and the 1000 replaces the 900.
Perhaps I am wrong.
900 fi...904cc's @ 92mm bore, 68mm stroke...
800 fi...803cc's @ 88mm bore, 66mm stroke...
900 hp 78 @ 8250,
800 hp 73 @ 8250,
900 torque 73Nm @6750
800 torque 69Nm @6500
900 408lbs
800 394lbs
Let's face it, the 800 is a smaller displacement engine in an old ST frame with a wet clutch, and 30mm less ground clearance.
I'm not sure what the exact logic is of .10 g's, or where the newer or better design is exactly, but I believe there are many attributes to a bike, and what one may call better in my opinion is very subjective.
Easy to say let the numbers rule, but having a bike without the 5.9ECU and immobilizer to me is still an asset. It was wonderfully easy to flashload and remap my 900. Having great big bore kits that see over 90 at the rear wheel that are time tested and proven, to me are also an asset. Just a few things that upon reflection would make me wonder why the 800 would somehow be thought of as a superior machine. In the real world 620's seem to hang with me just fine......

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I was talking about the ENGINES, not the entire bikes.

The new engines are light years ahead of the previous engines.

For a really stark comparison, read Ducati's own comparison of the old 600 to the new 620ie in the brochures that were current at the time.

Jim G

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well how are they light years ahead Jim?
If you are talking engines then let me know how the 800 is light years ahead of a 900, I would like to know.
I guess I am not sure how the comparison between a 600 and 620
has anything to do with the 800 engine being better then a 900 either?
Also if we are talking engines, then I would offer that an engines ability to accept bigger bores are also relevant....

From Moto One Performance....

"750 to 800
New crank

1 - 20 of 36 Posts