Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all,

so as a future member of mocha ;) i need some advice...

i'm contemplating whether to get a 620 or an 800 in June (thats when i graduate and get the big job). here's some of the things that are on my mind...

i am upgrading from a suzuki gs500, so the 620s HP is about twice of that. however, my dad and older brother who are harley guys, seem to think that i should up to the 800 considering i plan to keep this bike for a long time, and they think i may *outgrow* the 620 in a year or so. they also seem to think that when it is time to get the next ducati, the 620 will be harder to sell than the 800 because of the engine size... the ducati rep at the motorcylce show seemed to suggest the same... currently, im not looking to go crazy-fast or racing or anything, but i do like to bring my current bike up to speed once in awhile on the kennedy, any suggestions?

on another note, personally, i like the color grey for the monster, and dont see it as a color on the 04 800...

any input you guys have is handy! thanks!

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
ROCK!

the question you gotta ask yourself is what do you think you'll be able to afford? if you're only looking for a bike for recreation and enjoyment, maybe something on the cheaper end will suit you fine (620). it's got two wheels, it's a monster, and it'll sound AWESOME if you put pipes on it. but if you think you'll be craving the power a little more in the future and don't mind the higher cost, consider the 800 or even 1000. they all rock!

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks!

yeah. i figure on a 5 yr finance plan dealie, its only about 20-30-40 bucks more per month for the 800...

but a good thing to consider is getting the 620 and go right for the carbon with the money i would save on not buying the 800...

now about those pipes...
- how does it sound w/out them?
- are you talking about those carbon looking ones?
- slip on or full exhaust?
- how much do they cost roughly?
- links?

looking forward to riding with all of you! :)

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I believe I am the only one with a 620 if memory serves me. I had a set of cored pipes done by Strati and they sounded awesome. You woulda never knew it was a 620. Now I have a set of Remus Grand Prix's and I think they sound good too. Not as loud as the cored pipes, but they definately sound good. Although I only rode it home after they were installed and it was freezin a$$ outside. I really haven't been able to get on it yet with the new pipes. What kind of end result are you looking for? Looks, performance, sound, etc?? Sound was the most important to me, hell if I could, I'd run without cans just to see how loud it is...lol.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Sup dude. I'd go with the 800... but I love power, thus having an S4. I prefer the look of carbon, but every cat in this club has a different set of pipes, I have the Termignoni slipons. They're really loud and have a unique sound. I forget what Ruben has but his pipes are deafening (spelling?). The stock exhaust is pretty weak, I'd highly recommend getting a set of pipes immediately. Figure you'll spend anywhere from 400 - 1000 on an exhaust. I know for my exhaust it was the pipes, air box, air filter, and new ECU all in one shot.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
coolness...

as of now, with tooonnnnsss of time to decide, i guess i would lean more to the 620, and get the pipes and such. i'd probably wait to meet up with all you and just listen to them all and decide then ;)

side by side. the 620 has 13 less hp than the 800, other than that, there are minimal (i think?) differences...so yeah, im mos def going for a sound there rather than performance if its minimal...the s4 is sweet, but outta the price range i reckon...

any ideas on how just straight-up fast the 620 in terms of MPH? if it does about a hondo, that'd be good enough for me!

i'd probably rock the carbon stuff; on all the sailboats i race on, carbon is huge, so im kinda used to the look...

did any of your new systems give much more HP? or was it mainly sound?

thanks!

oh oh. if the mocha site needs some help, lemme know...im good at that $hit and would love to help.

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
check out this current deal through ducati. i picked it out of www.teammcc.com - ducati dealer in villa park:

----------------------------------------------
NEWS FROM DUCATI - Special Retail Financing
Purchase any new 2003 or prior Model Year Ducati Motorcycle between 10/01/03 and 02/29/04 and choose from the following:
0% APR for 24 months (3 months no payments)
OR
0.99% APR for 60 months
OR
3.99% APR for 60 months
Call us now to see if you qualify - 1.630.782.2010
----------------------------------------------

0% financing is HUGE, you might want to jump on it!

if performance isn't a big issue to you then the 620 will be a great bike for you. i haven't seen redduke's bike since he put all the crazy stuff on it but in pics it looks awesome!

you'll be able to break 100 on the 620, it's a great bike. you'll be able to stop on a dime and run through the turns like a it were on rails!

for accessories, check out:

www.spareshack.com
www.motowheels.com

for carbon fiber, you can do ebay or:
www.armordillocf.com

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
What Ron said. But you'll be able to hit 100, no problem. If you get the 620i.e. i believe you get dual front disks and I think adjustable shocks. The dark model for the 620 is pretty stripped down. 13 hp on a bike is huge though.

G

·
As an 800 owner I'd say go with that. It's common economics when you apply it. Once you get a bike, you'll always want more power. The price difference btwn a 620 and an 800 dark is slim, considering the engine size and the upgrades you're sure to cop. Mine is an 03 800 dark with 2Bros exhaust. I paid 7 G's for my bike and 4 and some change for the exhaust.
That finance plan MCC is offering (from Ducati) is good, but also consider Chicago Cycle Center as they tend to offer better pricing because they sell in volume, and you get a lifetime 30% discount. It doesn't hurt to compare. I went to MCC first and compared, and finally went with CCC.
i consider the 800 as "in between" when it comes to power. If you get a 620, you'll wonder how more powerful the 800 is. If you have an 800, you'll have an opportunity to grow into the power, especially if you plan to keep it. If keeping it long term is the issue, you have the option of engine upgrades with better results when dealing with the 800.

R.

G

·
My fault J-Rock!
No disrespect just giving my opinion.
You should have Ken bore out that bike.
Sherdyln getting some shyte done to his, performance and paint wise so I gotta see his.
You snuck that body kit in too!

R.

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
I was at MCC last week and they have a few 03 620's left and they would probably do something with that if you wanted a 620. I have a 900 and I love it. I will be getting my new pipes this spring when I pull her out of storage, ( by the way I started her up the other day and was happy that I could not get her out or Iwould have gone for a long ride)

Anyway like t daddy said if you can afford one or the other.

good luck and welcome to the board bro!!

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
cool. thanks for the good tips everyone!

i've been to CCC a buncha times, but not MCC; i'm gonna have to swing in there someday...

thanks again!

·
Registered
392 Posts
I have a 2003 620 ie,of corse there are faster bikes out there. But I have no problem staying with the guys I ride with even though they have faster bikes. 620s have tons of torque and will cruise all day over 70 mph. Someday I'll get another Ducati and it will be bigger, but a 620 is no slouch. And any monster on a backroad is a blast. My son in law has a GXSR 750, now that a fine bike and will leave me in the dust, but it has no feeling,it has no personality. And I'm sorry ,maybe I'll sound like some idiot but I think my monster handles better.I think the bottom line is,what is it you like? Because your the one making the payments. Drive them both,either way you can't go wrong. Good luck

1 - 15 of 15 Posts