Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
When I turn the key and the electrics go thru the startup procedure I usually get a high pitched whine like a pump or something. Sometimes I don't get this sound tho, question is - what is it and am I supposed to hear it everytime or not - the bike is still under warranty so if something is wrong I want to get it fixed now !

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
Does it sound like an electronic buzz during the guage test then goes away or does the sound remain untill you crank the bike?

Mine makes a loud electronic "buzz" as the guages sweep but stops once the needles reset back to 0 and the lights go out

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, that's pretty much it - but I've noticed it only happens 70% of the time andI dont recall the owners manual saying anything about it

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
I always thought the noise was the fuel pump kicking in to build pressure in the fuel lines.
Mine makes the same noise, but I hear it everytime I turn the key.
If your bike starts up with no problem, I wouldn't worry about the noise not being there. If it really bugs you, then bring it up to the dealer next time you are in for your scheduled service.

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
All I get is the high pitched whine. At least I think. I just figured it was the fuel injection doing it's thing. I too will listen next time I fire it up and see if I notice anything else.

·
Registered
36 Posts
About 10% of the time I don't have the whine/buzz sound either. Also, about a half-dozen times now when it doesn't buzz the yellow engine light stays on and then it won't start. So far, removing the key and retrying has worked. The dealership couldn't find any problems with the ignition when I had them look at it.

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
The fuel pump is making the sound and it quits once the proper pressure is met. If the pressure is met when he key is turned you will not have the pump kick in. When the bike is running the pump is also running constantly. The superbikes are also like this and is quite normal.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
All correct, except there's no fuel pressure sensor, the ECU just turns the pump on for a set period of time.

It should happen every time you turn the key on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've had a monster for 4 years now (bought it new in 2002), and the high pitched whine being talked about was always at a low volume, but always present. I assumed it was the fuel injection. However, as of last week, it has reached an alarming volume that never reduces.

When I start the bike up, the whine is relatively quiet like it used to be, but as soon as I rev it up or start riding, it reaches a really high volume and stays there.

Please help! I'm afraid I'm abusing the bike every second I'm riding ride now, and I'd like to get it fixed without getting ripped off at the shop.

cheers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks, I will do that. Interesting that this sound only got exacerbated 2 weeks after I had a Ducati dealer upgrade my filter! I should give him a call and see what he says.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts