Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first bike, and I was set on the 620. I'm an average sized guy 5'11", 185lbs.

Would a 620 be enough power for 100 mile cruises @75mph, uphill with gear?

would an 800 be better?

Again, this is my first bike, never drove one before, other than around the block..... (i'm getting my MSF cert. next week)

A

·
0 Posts
I bought my '03 620 about 7 months ago and use to it to drive all over the valley. It's a great bike! I have taken it to Tucson (120 mi) and I am planning a trip to Flagstaff next week (160mi). I would have bought an 800 if I had a choice but I just went with what I could afford at that time. Plus, the insurance was considerably higher for the 800cc. State Farm "says" they just base the price on cc's alone but when I compared Ducati to the Japanese (same cc's), Ducs were more. For a better ride up and down the hills and on a long haul, I would def. have taken the 800 with a little more power and that extra gear.

C

·
0 Posts
IMO it depends on how responsible you are. You say this is your first bike. Can you abstain from the temptation of utilizing the extra power until your skill level improves?

I'm not a very responsible person when it comes to that sort of thing. Like you this was my first bike and what I wanted was something to cruise around on and customize. So with the money I saved, buying the 620 over the 800, I've added (or adding) the stuff I wanted. I test road the 800 and knew it was too much power for me - you might be different. I've had my 620 for 3 months and have already put 4000 miles on it - love it. ;)

jb

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
I bought an '03 M800 Dark in early March. I have now put over 8000 miles on her in 6 1/2 months. At the time I had the same dillema, save money on the 620 or go for more power. I wasn't a newbie rider necessarily, but I also hadn't been on a bike in over 4 years.

All I can say is that I am so happy I got the 800 over the 620 that I don't know how to put it into words. Sure there have been a few times where I scared myself a bit by pulling back too far on the throttle, hitting a corner too hot, etc., but overall I don't regret a thing. In fact, if I had the 620 I know I'd be unhappy by now, I would have outgrown it already. Even the 800 doesn't quite have enough power in some situations for me (i.e. extended wheelies, trying to keep up with my friend's Daytona going up hill, etc.). I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever you get, but I think you'll be happier longer if you get the bigger bike...

-Jordan

D

·
0 Posts
Either way you go, you are getting a great bike.

But, I had an 800 for my first bike. I loved it at first. But after I started riding with other bikes, I realized it was under powered. Fortunatly, I totaled it and bought an S4. This is plenty of power for me.

Also, one of the guys I ride with had a 620. Same thing with him. When he started riding with us, he had trouble keeping up, and his bike got really hot because he was running it wide open all the time. He just traded it in on an S4.

I dont know what kind of riding you do, but if you plan on going over 100, get another bike. If you are just cruising around town, I am sure the 620 is plenty. As an added bonus you'll save money and get cheaper insurance.

M

·
0 Posts
I'd say 800. Some say the 620 would be better around town. It's only 5 lbs lighter so I doubt the difference would be significant. On the highway you will want the extra power and especially the extra gear. If you've got the money, the 800 is the best bang for your buck, and I don't think it's overpowered for a new rider. Given the 110+hp 600cc rockets most people (myself included) get for their first rides, the 800 is a responsible choice and would make a good long term bike. I think the powerband is more of a consideration for a new rider than the HP. A linear powerband like that on the monster or an sv650 for example is perfect for learning, since the power isn't so explosive.

S

·
0 Posts
I got a m800 a few months ago. It was my first bike. My wife also rides it and it is her first time riding a bike. She is only 100 pounds and can touch only with her tip toes. If she can handle it anyone can.

She wants her own now so we are trying to decide whether a 620 for her or s4r for me and let her keep the 800. OF course that won't be for while though.

travis

1 - 7 of 7 Posts