Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my bike back from an oil change and some minor adjustments (low idle, rough running at low rpms). The mechanic said it was running lean and he the synchronized the throttle bodies.

·
Registered
668 Posts
really this is a bit off topic,
but yesterday riding some local twisties,
it felt like I was doing wheelies from corner from 6krpms up with a 2nd and 3rd gear ....

great fun ;D

anyhow, the starting noises with +10C start up were abbastanza weird, but when it hotted up, all ran well.

ok, now I shut up.

Skier

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Skier, I'm asking for advice, not how fast or powerfull your bike is!

·
Registered
668 Posts
Mi Scusi Desmoboy,

I got carried away ....

I did tell the mechanic at my dealer before the 20000km service, that I have felt some "slowness" before 5-6 krpms ...
The rear cylinder valves were a bit more out of specs, and they had to adjust again (after valveadjustment) the CO with mathesis.

Now it runs much better again, feels like a new motor, or not new, but broken in.

Sorry for the inconvienence, wont happen again.

Friends ?

Skier

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Things are groovy skier! I have a bit more info to add to my story. This slippy feeling only exists after the bike has fully warmed up. I'm convinced my clutch plates are slipping due to the oil type. the moly will have melted fully by 240F. and this could explain why the symptoms occur. Anyone with additional knowledge on this please get back to me !

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
My M620 has that same roughness at low idles, but good acceleration at high...I've got my 6k coming up, so hopefully I don't have that problem.

PS: How did you add 10hp to your bike?

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Desmoboy ... I had the same problem ... Is your M620 a 2002 or 2003 model ? I have a M620 Sie from 05/2003 and after about 4500 km my clutch was slipping (higher RPM no acceleration) when accelerating fast. I happened to be the first one in Belgium to have this problem so Ducati Benelux sent a technician.

The M620 2003 got a new clutch, with better plates but the springs are not strong enough for those new plates. So at first they just gave me a totally new clutch. Ofcourse 4500 km later I had the same problem. This time they temporary solved it by adding some washers to the springs. And right now, 5 months later they finally solved it by replacing the springs with a new type. All new M620's have these now.

Hopes this solves your problem ....

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Woke, my bike is a 2003. Thanks a bunch for the info! I forgot to mention that my bike didn't have this problem prior to the maintinence last week, so it could be something as simple as the full synthetic high moly content torco oil. If they have to fix the clutch I hope I don't get the run around that this is a normal wear problem and they want to charge me. I already had to cough up $100 for the idle problem. They said this was something that should have been covered on the 600 mile service but they didn't have that service in the special at that time, Does that make sense? I'll post the outcome

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The clutch is a warranty issue ... I already know 3 persons that had the same problem. They all had the springs replaced for free. Since I was the first one to have the problem I got a complete new clutch. They should not charge you for this. And btw, 100$ for adjusting the idle ??? takes only 5 minutes to do this

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
that's what I thought... :-/

I've done some mods, but don't know how many ponies they're worth...maybe around 6?

·
Registered
142 Posts
I've got the same clutch problem with my '03 620 dark. Just under 3k miles. Clutch will slip up to 7400RPM from around 6900 when the bike is cold. I haven't had a chance to try it hot, but I think it only happens when the bike is cold.
I send an e-mail to Ducati just the other day. Waiting for a reply.
Anyone else have any insight?

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
I have this same thing, but now the last 2 days have had trouble shifting smoothly especially 4th gear? The clutch fluid in my reservoir is way at the top, which according to the manual may be caused by air in the clutch line or excessive clutch wear??? We seem to think air in the clutch line, which has happened before.
I use full syn oil, could this be causing the clutch to slip?

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just got the bike back from the dealer yesterday. They drained the old oil and gave me mobil 1. Unless this whole thing was in my head, the bike seams to be cured! When they fixed the lean running ,the power below 4500 improves greatly. The motor doesn't lugg as much and that bwaaaaa noise from the airbox gets meaner sounding when your whack the throttle open!

·
Registered
142 Posts
It seems my problem is only apparent when the engine is cold (<150F). I'm about to change my oil to Maxum 4 for my 3k mile service, so we'll see how that affects my slipping. By the way this is the response I got from Ducati:

Thank you for taking the time to contact Ducati. I received your email. I am sorry to hear about the concerns with your clutch. If you are experiencing problems please contact your local authorized Ducati dealer for immediate inspection. They will be able to diagnose the problem quickly and effectively.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
seems like a reasonable response from Ducati. also make sure the complaint is in writing at your dealer. what oil did the dealer use?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Not sure what was used at 600 miles. Service was done at Del Amo. I purchased it at 1k miles. I'm switching to Maxum tonight.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts