Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's my problem... I swapped in a 1000ds (complete with throttle bodies, coils and everything) from a sport cassic 1000, and got a harness, ecu, key set, and dash from an S2R 1000...

The engine turns over, starts with a little shot of quick start, but wont stay running. I hear the 620's fuel pump running, but it doesn't feel like its getting any (or enough) fuel. The engine will not start without any quick start...

I thought maybe the 620's pump wasn't powerful enough, or somehow it doesn't allow for proper pressure build up? I'm not sure?

There is a difference in throttle bodies, in that the 620's has a mechanic fuel pressure regulator, whereas the 1000 DS has what looks like an electric pressure regulator. On the 620 the fuel is routed through the regulator and the injectors, but on the 1000 the fuel lines are passed through the two injectors. Seeing this makes me thing that maybe something within the pumps are different.

Anything I can do to verify somethings wrong or any suggestions as to what to do next, would greatly be appreciated!

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Follow up... I swapped out the throttle body the 1000 DS motor came with, with the one that was originally on the 620 engine, and guess what?

The engine fired up!

As I had imagined, I'm almost 100% certain it has to do with the fuel pressure regulator that's attached to the 620's throttle body that the 1000 DS throttle body doesn't appear to have, unless that stepper motor unit is just that, or what I believe it to be, an electric choke? Not sure though.

If anyone can provide some input on all this, that would be great! I would love to get this up and running right!

Thanks!

·
Registered
635 Posts
M620 has a manual 'idle accelerator' or commonly known as 'choke', the 1000DS engines have a stepper motor or ISC[iddle speed control] motor/valve, as I said, my tank was installed on a S4 and it ran great until the owner got its new tank/fuel pump assy. Will have to ask a friend who has a M1000DS to allow me to the same swap you made and install the Mathesis to see what the ECU reads out.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Figured it out... The S2R fuel pump assembly has a built in fuel regulator, whereas with the 620, its not in or on the tank, but rather on the throttle body unit itself. I removed the fuel regulator and clamped it on to the throttle body off the 1000 motor, and BOOM... started right up!

Now it's time to button everything up and take it for a spin!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts