Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed my front wheel to take it in to be painted last week. I put it back on the other day and reinstalled the rotor, caliper, and pads. I also installed new adjustable brake levers while I had the caliper off the rotor and no pads installed. So, when I installed the new lever I pulled it a few times to check out the adjustability and action of it compared to stock.

Now that I've reinstalled everything my front brake feels spongy to me. The pull is longer than before to activate the front brakes, and the lever really does feel very spongy. So I bled the front brakes and now it feels a little better, but still not nearly as precise feeling as before I removed the wheel. I rechecked my installation and everthing is installed properly, all connections on hoses are good as well.

Where do I go from here? I unfortunately threw away my original brake lever and didn't look at how that set screw in the "armpit" of the brake lever was set. I can feel a difference in pull and of the brake lever when I put the screw in more, but it's cranked way in there and I'm not sure if that is how it's supposed to operate or not. Is it okay for that screw that controls the actuating piston to be screwed in really far?

Thanks in advance

David

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
if your decription is right, it sounds like you got air in there somehow. were you pulling the lever with the calipers off the bike? if so you might have emptied the reservoir, allowing air into the master. the master can be difficult to bleed. try bleeding the master at the banjo bolt with the resrvoir level. make sure to cover everything well, as the brake fluid will attack any painted surface it contacts. then continue to blled at the caliper, ensuring the resevoir does not run dry, or you wlii be starting from scratch. make sure there is free play at the lever, or you will wind up with brakes that don't release. when you are happy with the adjustment, put a dab of clear nail polish on the screw to hold the adjustment. good luck

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i already bled the brakes more than once, and paid attention to levels in the master cylinder. Should I just adjust the screw until it feels right?

David

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
i figured you did bleed it several times. air trapped in the master can be very hard to eliminate. that is why i suggested bleeding the master seperately. another trick is to "back bleed". this is forcing the fluid in the opposite direction. i personally don't like that method because you could possibly send dirt into the master. oh! also, when pumping the brake lever, pump sslooowly. quick pumping can turn big air babbles into little air bubbles, which are very hard to remove. in theory, bleeding brakes is easy. in real life, it can be a PITA. you can also do a search on this board. people do create their own tricks. one trick some do is wire tie the brake lever in the applied position overnight. this can allow air trapped in the master to rise into the reservoir. worth a try. of course, you may have another problem. without seeing the bike, i can't be sure.

back to the lever. there MUST be free play at the lever. that means some travel where the master is not being applied. my manual does not give a spec, but, if you want, i will measure the free play on my bike tomorrow.

by the way, never press the lever when the caliper is off the rotor. the pistons could have come out of the bores.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh, I didn't realize you were saying I should bleed the master cylinder separate from the brake line. I've never done that before.

If you could measure your free play that would be great. I'm pretty sure the brake lever doesn't feel right, but I just can't remember what it's supposed to feel like anymore. I just remember it caught very quickly.

David

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
alright, well I got them feeling pretty good right now, then I just turned in that screw to set the point at which the brakes start to actuate.

I took about a one mile ride up the road and back and right before I got back to my house the front brakes started to work themselves. There was no play in the lever, just full hardcore braking the whole time. They were dragging pretty hard. I backed that screw out and rode home, played with it somemore and now it kind of sucks again. It seems the brakes work normally now, I just can't figure out how to set the handle the way I like it. If I set it in the garage and then go for a ride, it all changes on the ride. I don't know what to do about it really. At least the brakes function properly now, that's good enough to ride it I guess

David

1 - 7 of 7 Posts