Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there put an aftermarket wheel on there 620? I'm interested in a 5.5" rim but not sure of compatability and brands.

Did a search and nothing showed up so thought I'd see who's done what, how much and if it was all worth it.

Thanks

S

·
0 Posts
pretty sure any '02+ monster's rims will fit. if you get a wider rim though, you'll need to get the chain wear runners off the corresponding larger-wheeled monster (like the s4 or 900). you'll also need to "flip" your front sprocket over so that the "bump" faces the engine. this will allow the chain to be aligned correctly front-to-rear.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Strati, Doesn't your brain hurt from retaining all this knowledge? :)

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
pretty sure any '02+ monster's rims will fit. if you get a wider rim though, you'll need to get the chain wear runners off the corresponding larger-wheeled monster (like the s4 or 900). you'll also need to "flip" your front sprocket over so that the "bump" faces the engine. this will allow the chain to be aligned correctly front-to-rear.
Wait, you have to do that? I put some Marvic Penta 2's on and didn't change anything. It seems to be doing fine - no problems. Should I be concerned here? Oh yeah, I have a 2003 620.

S

·
0 Posts
Wait, you have to do that? I put some Marvic Penta 2's on and didn't change anything. It seems to be doing fine - no problems. Should I be concerned here? Oh yeah, I have a 2003 620.
only if you went to a larger rear rim size. if you went with the standard size, then the rear sprocket's offset from the center of the bike will be the same as stock. a way to confirm if you're ok is to take a straight-edge and lay it against the rear sprocket's surface, running along the length of the chain. if the chain follows the same line (doesn't skew in or out at all), then you're ok. if it runs inboard as it approaches the front sprocket, you need to flip it.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Alright, so it's a 6" rear rim on a 2003 620. I took out a metal yard stick (doesn't bend) and the chain seems to be aligned correctly. When I removed my sprocket cover there seems to be a lot of metal shavings, and other gunk. I would say this means it's not aligned correctly - right? Are the little metal shavings part of the front sprocket that the chain is eating up?

S

·
0 Posts
Alright, so it's a 6" rear rim on a 2003 620. I took out a metal yard stick (doesn't bend) and the chain seems to be aligned correctly. When I removed my sprocket cover there seems to be a lot of metal shavings, and other gunk. I would say this means it's not aligned correctly - right? Are the little metal shavings part of the front sprocket that the chain is eating up?
yuck... doesn't sound good. take a close look at the sprocket and at the chain links. i suspect that the shavings are off the chain and not the sprocket. try flipping the sprocket and do the yard-stick check again to see if there's any VISIBLE alignment change. i'm guessing with the distance between front & rear sprockets, you can't quite see the deflection, but METAL SHAVINGS indicate it's there. bummer.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does the larger sized rim make a big performance difference in relation to the cost? I assume you had to change the front tire size to compensate for the larger rear. I asked the dealer about going up in size and he discouraged it. Said the bike is set up as is for optimal performance, yada, yada. I'm not one to mess with a bikes intended enginering but like the idea of more tire, larger contact patch, and the overall look of a fatter tire.

Thanks for the feed back.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Yeah, I'm not sure about the performance gains. They are magnesium, which is lighter, and as I understand it that is a loss of unsprung weight, therefore a gain in handling. Honestly though, I didn't really feel a difference, but they look 10 times better. They are 5 spoke instead of 3 and the rear is an inch and a half wider, a huge difference in looks. It makes the bike look a lot better in my opinion. Wether it is worth the cost I guess is up to the individual. I think so, but I was going for style not a gain in power or handling.

F

·
0 Posts
Sorry newbie here..what is a chain runner?? I might want to do this mod later too...

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Sorry newbie here..what is a chain runner?? I might want to do this mod later too...
I think Strati is talking about the hard plastic pieces on the swingarm that prevent the chain from rubbing on the metallic part of the swingarm. At extreme positions of the suspension, the chain does actually touch these plastic pieces, and they wear.

mitt

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Pics of this wheel swap process would be appreciated!
;)

Also, where can I buy, and how much can I expect to spend for a larger rear wheel from a 900/1000?

S

·
0 Posts
i've got pics of removing the rear wheel off an s4 on my site in the sprockets mods section:

http://www.ducatipipemod.com/s4/mods/sprocket/

installation's just reverse order.

front sprocket's also covered there. just flip it for reinstallation. the threads the retaining plate screw into go all the way through the sprocket so it's literally a matter of taking it out, flipping it over, reinstalling.

only thing not covered on the page is chain guides (yes mitt... that's correct). but they install with button-head allenbolts and are very easy to remove/install.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts