Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These questions may have been posed before but I'm very curious. Is a Duc 620 as fast a stock jap bike that's a 600?

Will a Duc 800 smoke a stock 750 jap bike?

Before you tell me it depends on the rider, what about 0-60mph bench marks? Which is really faster?

I know there's more to a Ducati than speed but I just want to know how they measure up against the Jap bikes.

Thanks,
Frank

R

·
0 Posts
What the Big 4 lack in soul they make up for in performance. Dollar for dollar they are almost impossible to beat from strictly a performance stand point. Where the Monsters make up some ground is in the fact that when you come out to the parking lot there wont be a "twin" of your bike sitting next to it, if you know what I mean. I think the best thing to do is to simply have one of each!! My 600 Kawi (2003 636) is a hoot to ride so I dont think it will ever get sold. To make a short story long, no performance wise the Monster is way out gunned (for similar $). The superbikes make a run of it (untill cost is figured into it) though.

Rhoades

·
Registered
248 Posts
this has been an age old question. But if it was for speed to match up with a japanese bike ur thinking about a wrong bike. As some one already said its not for speed u buy a duc but a lot more.. but then again u already seem to know it. You would be wasting money and pride if u want to race ur bud on a 600 japanese bike. Although in a stop light to stop light situation u might win depending if its less than 1/4 mile. That can be attributed to the incredible lightness and torque of a 620. 2 years ago we had a local racer racing a 620 monster and ended up being a champion for the season but then again he wasnt racing with 0-60 and 1/4 mile benchmarks.
All the above does hold true for 800 monster too. I can frankly tell u, u will repent for owning a monster if ur in slightest assumption that ur duc is faster than other bikes in its class. But then if u put aside the speed factor there is some special mystic about a monster(infact any duc) that you would know only if u rode it.
Hope that helps u make ur decision. Keep us posted of wat u decide on.

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Because I am sad and read a lot of magazines:

Superbike Magazine (Nov 2003) did a review of sports bikes vs naked. In terms of outright performance 0-60 standing quarter and top speed The M1000 was roughly equivalent to a Honda Hornet 600 and well below a CBR600. In top gear roll ons it wins by a large margin. (Even beating a Kawasaki ZX9R 40-80mph)

From this it would suggest that the M800 would be slower.

Performance bikes (Aug 2003) compared a M620ie to a Honda hornet 600 and the Suzuki SV650. It lost badly in 0-60 quarter miles and top speed. It was only around 5% slower in top gear rollon(40-80) than the hornet, The SV of course was quickest in rollons.

JUdging from the figures the M800 would probably be similar in performace to an SV650 (a v-twin) and slower than the inline fours. My opinion only.

Gosh wasn't that boring!

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Owning a 620 I can tell you don't try to race anyone in a straight line. You won't like the end result.

But I have been on some twisty back roads, and on the track, with bigger bikes and it keeps up fine. Unless there is a very long straight in between turns.

So, when you ask if it is 'faster' than a jap bike you really need to keep in mind there is straight line fast and twisty road fast.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
If you're looking for a motorcycle for raw horsepower, don't even look at Ducatis. If you're racing 0-60, you probably don't want any of the Monsters except maybe the S4.

If you want a motorcycle that you'll love, that you'll still really like looking at five years later, and that makes you smile every time you ride it, get a Monster.

The article in the December Motorcyclist magazine entitled Multistrada vs. The World captures the general feeling, that is true for Monsters as well.

See: http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/roadtests/122_0312_multivwd/index.html

They compared a Ducati Multistrada, a Yamaha R6, and a Honda VFR for canyon carving and touring. Right after describing how well the R6 blasts through the canyons, is this paragraph:

"Meanwhile, the Multistrada is right on the R6's taillight, having a ball without breaking a sweat. The Italian twin is short on top-end speed and cornering clearance--you'll drag toes, pegs, the exhaust guard on the right and the sidestand on the left. Still, the Multi vaults out of slow corners as only a big V-twin can, gaining ground as the R6 hunts for the fat part of its powerband."

Basically the R6 is faster, but the 1000cc Multistrada pretty well keeps up and is lots less work in doing so. The same applies to the Monster. Personally I find it more fun to go fast with less effort and I like the wide powerband of the V-twin.

Oh, and if you look up the article, find the above quoted paragraph, then read where the H0nda is mentioned two paragraphs later. I love that first sentence.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
The only way you're going to keep up with a Japanese 600 on a twisty road is if your grandmother is riding the 600, & even then it might be close.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Norm does have a point. Even on twisty roads where a Monster would be likely to have an advantage, or at least be at less of one, rider skill comes into play heavily.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Check out the newest issue of BIKE. The M1000 is rated slower than the Hornet, Kwak, & Buell in all the "test". However when they took the bike on their road course it turned in the fastest lap times.

Control has so much to do with real world speed.

R

·
0 Posts
Ducati is not meassure or compare by speed... it is... pride & style... it is stupid but applied to most people. My personal opinion to own 2 ducati, because it's style. Perhaps I admire Massimo Tamburini's design more since I dont really like the SS and the new 749 & 999

Everyone has their own reason to love ducati bikes, but I am sure speed is not usually a major reason to own a ducati.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had a 91 Suzuki Katana 600 before I got married (which I loved even though it rode a bit high). I sold it to help my downpayment on a house

·
Registered
248 Posts
I had a 91 Suzuki Katana 600 before I got married (which I loved even though it rode a bit high). I sold it to help my downpayment on a house :-[

Do you think that a monster 800 is slower than my old 600? If it's faster than a monster, that would really blow! Yes, I know about the "soul" and all the other little things that makes a Ducati a Ducati but damn, shouldn't the Ducati be comparable to others in it's class (as far as outright speed- forget twisties)? Shouldn't it be superior to the bikes in a class below?

The funniest thing is that when I talk to people about Ducati's and monsters, they think they are the fastest bikes on earth.

Thanks,
Frank
No offense dude. Forget about monster you wont be happy with any ducati now. A japanese bike is definitely the one for you. Even if u get a jap bike make sure u swing by this board and say hi ;)

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
ANYONE using the term "J*p" can not appreciate a Ducati.
You should just buy a used Honda and spend the money you save on TV dinners.

R

·
0 Posts
atatinen is right, you just can't forget about your ex-jap bikes... yeah, maybe you should get a rocket super fast awesome Katana 600 again!!

See what fastkatanaboy said to you? and he owns 9 bikes at home eating TV dinner becuase of 1 ducati HOMO. oops!! CROMO is correct. ;D

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
Yes, I know about the "soul" and all the other little things that makes a Ducati a Ducati but damn, shouldn't the Ducati be comparable to others in it's class (as far as outright speed- forget twisties)? Shouldn't it be superior to the bikes in a class below?
Yes... But comparing a M620 to a CBR600RR is not comparing two bikes in the same class.

If you're looking to compare a 2v Monster to another maker's bike, stick to the 2-valve, air-cooled twins. Now you're looking at BMWs and Buells. Even with the displacement disadavantage, you find that the M1000 does pretty good against BMWs and buells that are running at 1200 ccs.

If you use the World Supersport rules for displacement and engine configuration, they consider a 750 cc, 4-valve, water cooled twin to be the same class as a 600 cc inline 4-cyl.

Compare a 749 with a CBR600RR, and now you're getting close on the track, and possibly better out in the twisties.

--Fillmore

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
The Rev is right. The 4 valve bikes are on the same playing field. You should look at the S4/S4R or the 749 and then you'd be in the ballpark.

I get people all the time asking my how my 620 compares to other 600's. As soon as I try to explain its like comparing apples to oranges they just start to moan 'I thought Ducati's were fast.' You either get it or you don't. Most people don't.

D

·
0 Posts
Well, I can only speak from my experience.

I ran my M800 against a 900 Ninja when I first got into this whole sport bike thing. I figured that since I had a Duc it must be faster than the Jap bikes. Not only did the guy smoke me, he did it on one wheel...

Now, with the MS4, dead stop I can keep up with an R6, FZ1, and CBR929. (This is all I have had experience with.) When we are sitting on 100mph cruising down the interstate, then count to 3 and gun it, I can jump ahead of all of them about two car lengths until we hit around 130mph. Then it is bye bye lil' duc...man those bikes will fly.

If you are looking for speed, look somewhere else. A buddy of mine ahad a m620 with 14t on the front. His bike would barely go over 100. Some people don't want to go 100+, but some of us do...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
"ANYONE using the term "J*p" can not appreciate a Ducati.
You should just buy a used h*nda and spend the money you save on TV dinners."

When I use the word Jap, it is an abbreviation just like Duc. Don't mistake it for an insult because it's not. I own an Isuzu Rodeo, made by the Japanese and a Daewoo Leganza, made by the Koreans.

And yes, I do take offense to your message!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts