Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting close to needing my 6000 mile service and was wondering if much takes place besides for the valve job. What can I expect to pay? My dealer is saying it will be around $500, does that sound reasonable? When I was looking at the Monsters last spring the sales guy told me that a 2 valve adjustment is usually $200 to $300. I'm wondering if they do other things in the 6000 mile service to cover the $200 difference. I also would like to lower my gearing a bit, do people recommend replacing the front or back sprocket and do youthink that I will need a new chain? The bike is a 2000 M750 I bought last June with only 1056 miles on it.

R

·
0 Posts
900spg,
I looked in the Owner's Manual and they do not provide that information. Basically, (6000mi.) the dealership goes over the whole bike- checks/adjusts/torque specs and fluids. Mainly the valve check/adjustment with belt replacement is performed. This service should cost less than $500.00 - your dealer should give you a complete list of the service.
I think that most people decide to change the front sprocket (one tooth less). I believe that it cost me less than $40.00 for the part. If, you decide to add 2 teeth to the rear sprocket you are able to use the OEM chain. If, you add three teeth to the rear sprocket I believe that you will need a longer chain.
If, you use the search function you will find many A's to your Q's. Best of luck with your Monster and welcome to the board.

Rich

X

·
0 Posts
According to the free maintainence certificate I got the 6,000 mile service consists of:
Replace spark plugs, Check cylinder compression, Check/adjust steering head bearings, replace air filter, check/adjust valve clearences, Check rear wheel cush drive, check brake pads, check/adjust timing belts, Idle adjustment, replace fuel filter, check chain, replace oil/filter, check tire pressure and wear, road test.

My bike came with the certificate so I don't know how much this should really cost. Most of it should be pretty easy do do yourself if you wanted to save a few bucks.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
The 6000 miles service on my '99 M900 was $467 including the new cam belts and synthetic oil.

Now I need to do a jet kit since i just added a FBF full system and air box mod. I thought I'd take it for a test spin before the jet kit to compare.... :eek: this thing was popping and cracking on the gas and coming off the gas.

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
why would they do belts at 6k?? I thought that was a 12k item. Just being safe?

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
why would they do belts at 6k?? I thought that was a 12k item. Just being safe?
Most mechanics that I talk to like to do them at 12k or every 2 years.

If it's a `99 with the original belts, it was probably due...

--Fillmore

1 - 7 of 7 Posts