Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting an oil cooler put on my 620 next week. My ducati mechanic says that he will just do the 6000 mile tune up at that time (4800 miles) because I will have to have an oil change anyway when I get the cooler installed and he will have the bike up so why not. He stated that it is never too early for your 6000 mile checkup. What is everyones opinion on this? To tune or not to tune...THAT IS THE QUESTION!!!! ;D
BTW he is good and I do trust him totally..almost!

M

·
0 Posts
Since this is (theoretically) your second freebie, if you got your vouchers from Ducati, I'd say go for it. The only hesitation I would have is if I looked at my mileage and found that I'd hit 6k after the expiration date of the warranty and for some reaason had to pay for the service. Then I'd surely want to use that voucher earlier rather than later. I trust that you're changing your oil more often than every 6k, so things should be good. Really the only 6k issue is valve adjustment and setting the tension on the timing belts. I believe belt replacement isn't until 12k or so. Valve adjustment sooner than 6k might not be totally necessary, but it can't hurt.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I'd say it's a toss-up. Probably doesn't matter much.

Another choice though would be to dalay install of the oil cooler; can't be critical this time of year (you are in the top hemisphere, aren't you?).

Reschedule your appointment and go ride! ;D

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice. I am actually in New Orleans and it is a sunny 80 degrees down here. I guess I will just go ahead with the tune up .Thanks!

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Hey, PEDS, I also live in New Orleans. We met at Moto Euro once and swapped e-mails. Lost track of yours. But came across some of your posts and I know there aren't that many red 620's here in NOLA.

Anyway, who is doing the work on your bike these days? I heard you had your pipes put on by Chuck House. Is he doing the oil cooler or is Moto Euro? I stopped by Chuck's place and he knows his business. A couple of my friend's get their bikes, M750 and Speed Triple, worked on by Chuck and they turned me on to him.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Why not just wait about 1200 miles until your 6000 miles service to install the oil cooler? That way you would stay on the normal service intervals also. At least that's what I would do...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey mwb,
I get my bike worked on at both places. I had my wheels powdercoated at sebastians but had my 600 service at chucks. I know them both really well but I have known chuck at lot longer. I know chuck knows engines very well and has taken care of my bikes and my friend bikes for many years. I have to say what I have been doing although subconsciously is taking engine stuff to chuck and all other mods, oil changes and appearance stuff to moto euro. Chuck seems dirtier to me and mechanics are supposed to have grease under their nails!! BOTH PLACES ARE GREAT. Lets ride man!!

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
PEDS, yeah I like the Moto Euro guys too. My friends are real loyal to Chuck. But, Sebastian has treated me fine so I have no problem with him. I never could figure out the whole loyalty thing some people hang their hats on. I figure the more people I know the better. I dig both shops.

I saw a 620 at Moto that had the wheels coated. I guess that was yours. It was the weekend of the Triumph demo. They look much better black. I'm probably going to get mine done. Waiting til after the holidays before I start modding the bike.

I am dying to ride. I have only managed to get to the Northshore one time since I've have had the bike. I'd like to go this weekend if I can swing it. I'll let you know later in the week how it looks. I got directions to a good loop. If I can make it are you game?

N

·
0 Posts
Good idea to go with the change @ 4800. If you know and trust your mechanic. Guaranteed he knows bikes enough to give sound advise cuz.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts