Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone. i was hoping someone could throw some sound advice my way.

im at 6,350 miles. spring will be here soon and i should probably get my 6,000 mi service done.

i have a 2002 monster dark 750. all origal belts, chain and sprockets.

i'm gonna need a new chain and belts and was thinking about (not sure if i need) new sprockets.

before i take the bike to the shop, does anyone suggest that i buy these parts myself and give them to the guys at the shop to put on my bike instead of paying a premium price for them at the shop?

any suggestions on chain? if i want some more kick outta my bike, any suggestions on sprockets?

any advice regarding this service would be great. who knows i may need new tires too.

thanks!

-derin

·
Registered
238 Posts
hey everyone. i was hoping someone could throw some sound advice my way.

im at 6,350 miles. spring will be here soon and i should probably get my 6,000 mi service done.

i have a 2002 monster dark 750. all origal belts, chain and sprockets.

i'm gonna need a new chain and belts and was thinking about (not sure if i need) new sprockets.

before i take the bike to the shop, does anyone suggest that i buy these parts myself and give them to the guys at the shop to put on my bike instead of paying a premium price for them at the shop?

any suggestions on chain? if i want some more kick outta my bike, any suggestions on sprockets?

any advice regarding this service would be great. who knows i may need new tires too.

thanks!

-derin
Hi !

Regarding your chain-sprocket; do you REALLY need to change them ? Might not be unsual, but that would be kind of a fast chain wear... And when you're changing either sprocket or chain it is suggested that you do both. Using a new chain with used sprocket will wear your chain prematurely, and vice-versa.

You can see if your sprocket needs to be replaced if the teeth are starting to look like «fish hooks».

But again inspect sprocket and chain carefully because they usually can go up to 12-13k miles before they need to be changed. If they're damage at the point of being changed after 6k miles, I would seek further for why they had been wearing that fast; chain care and tension, etc... For more kick change the 15 teeth front sprocket to a 14 teeth.

Regarding the belts,Ducati specs states that it's ethier 6k miles or 2 years witch ever comes first. This can be «extended» a little, but this is the part of servicing that I don't challenge too much because of the costly consequence resulting of a broken timing belt.

As for parts & labor. I do my own maintenance on my bike. I do save a lot on labor cost that I can put on aftermarket pieces. Pieces that are generally as good as OEM parts at a fraction of their price.

Changing belts, chain and sprocket doesn't require any special tool on a 2 valve motor and there' plenty of info on the net and books of reference that can help you with either jobs. The money you'll save will pay for the valve inspection you need to get done, unless after you have changed belts and chain you found yourself unsuspected mechanic abilities !

Sites where I found LOTS of usefull infos:

http://www.desmotimes.com/
http://www.ca-cycleworks.com/

Good luck and have fun !

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
As alexnapo has said, a well looked after chain shoudl be good for 12-15k.
I would take this oportunity to clean and check your chain for tight spots, and examine the sprockets for wear, if these check out OK, lube your chain and adjust it if required.
You should then be good for another 6k.

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
Agree that your chain/sprockets are probably fine unless they've been neglected bad.

I do my own chain/sprockets, but have the shop do my belts and valves.

jeff h
monsterparts.com

1 - 4 of 4 Posts