Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I know Derbi is pretty popular with these little motors, but are there any other brands that could be sourced directly?

I'm putting together an idea and am looking for smaller (to start) single-cylinder, air cooled motors. Any ideas?

TIA,

dj

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Are you looking for engines with gearboxes, or without?

By 'sourced directly', do you mean buying in some sort of quantity, or just a one-shot deal?

If you don't need a gearbox, and don't need many motors, I've got a couple of 100cc Yamaha GoKart motors that need a real home...send me a PM if you're interested, I'll let 'em go real easy.

You might also check with your local Kart shop, they use current-spec 80cc and 125cc MX bike motors for the shifter Kart classes. I think Yamaha and Honda are popular.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm looking for motor and gear box combos. I've got the itch to leave this rat race and actually do what I've always wanted, build modern custom cafe racers... So, i'm just starting to look around a bit and get some ideas..

-dj

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
In addition to Derbi, the Honda NSR 50, Yamaha YSR 50, and Aprilia RS 50 are all popular and street legal bikes. Don't know about the others, but YSR 50 engines are on Ebay all the time. YSR 50s are raced all around the country, so there are a lot of them and a big aftermarket even though they have been out of production since '92.

I have a street legal YSR 50. They are too cool. Quite a few folks customize them and stuff in bigger engines of all types and sizes. I don't know if that is the type custom cafe you're talking about. In any case, Google search for ysr50 and several sites will turn up with galleries to look at for ideas.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Mark! I'll look into them. Sounds like a good lead.

I figure if I can build a couple of bikes to show and sell, then maybe I can raise enough capital to get outta this damn office!

Now, if you'll pardon me, I have to go update my time tracking and midyear review goals... :p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts