Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be out riding this Saturday and actually may venture out on real roads with real traffic. I know Leesburg is far for many but I thought I would see if anyone wanted to meet up out by me. I am sure I am not that fun to ride with, being that I have yet to see 60 mph, but I need to get gas and feel I am ready for traffic. Thought that maybe I could meet a few riders in the area and chat a little about bike stuff. I was thinking about the earlier half of sat. sometime between 11 and 3.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
if I wasn't already planning on going up to Lancaster,PA to pick up my nused car/truck....I'd be in!

but it looks like a slightly used Subaru Baja shall be awaiting me!

·
Registered
523 Posts
zooom said:
if I wasn't already planning on going up to Lancaster,PA to pick up my nused car/truck....I'd be in!

but it looks like a slightly used Subaru Baja shall be awaiting me!
If you're into Vietnamese food, there's a family-run chain called Pho Tau Bay that opened in Lancaster right after the storm. I grew up eating at one of their New Orleans locations every Sunday. And then they opened one next to a gelato shop (perfect combo for dates if they ever reopen that one) near my office down there. Look them up, as if they wouldn't stand out in Amish country!

·
Registered
915 Posts
Hey,

I'm in Ashburn and ride up to Leesburg all the time, actually I work in Leesburg. Anyway, I'd like to ride, but unfortunately this week is really bad for my schedule, maybe the next time nice weather rolls around shoot me a PM.

·
Registered
411 Posts
bschurmann said:
I will be out riding this Saturday and actually may venture out on real roads with real traffic. I know Leesburg is far for many but I thought I would see if anyone wanted to meet up out by me. I am sure I am not that fun to ride with, being that I have yet to see 60 mph, but I need to get gas and feel I am ready for traffic. Thought that maybe I could meet a few riders in the area and chat a little about bike stuff. I was thinking about the earlier half of sat. sometime between 11 and 3.
A buddy and I will be riding our monsters first to Battleys and then to Coleman's Falls Church for customer appreciation day, and all the free hot dogs we can consume. Youre welcome to join. Its a bit of a jaunt for you, but if its saddle time you need, then you should be out there all the same.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Sounds like I am in your speed range. I have a few months riding experience. I tend to be on the slow side, mostly because I have grown risk-averse, and I like to just ride. I find riding at legal speeds less stressful and still exciting enough, especially when you consider the unexpected street hazards. I live in Sterling, and I will be out today around 2:00. (I have a Monster 620 Dark, box stock.)

You can contact me anytime (e-mail) you are up for a relaxed ride around this area. I try to keep my bike running anytime the temp goes above 45 degrees.

[email protected]

·
Registered
688 Posts
mszoke said:
Sounds like I am in your speed range. I have a few months riding experience. I tend to be on the slow side, mostly ... .. .
mszoke,
There are plenty of people that feel the same way you do, risk averse, that ride the group rides. There are riders of all abilities. Anyone wanting to participate should feel free to join in, especially the M.A.D. rides.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
That's good to hear - I have been on rides where I am definitely riding "over my head" and not really enjoying it. Also, I could tell I was dragging down some of the other riders who had a lot more skill than me.

(Just came in from a ride today. What a day!)

I'm not against grabbing a handful of throttle now and then, but that would be the exception for me. If I really am honest, I probably ride about the same as I drive, the only difference being the acceleration factor. I'm afraid I will never win the "Hooligan of the Year" award.

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
Oy! Way too much salt out there today on the back roads. I went for 1/2hr and headed home. I did test out a new camera mounting method. Test was only partially sucessfull.

·
Banned
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, today was almost ruined by a bad water pump on my poor, beloved 93 Nissan 240sx. I pulled it out of the garage to make room to get my bike out and there was green crap all over the floor. Seems my water pump took a ****. I spent half the afternoon taking care of that.

Finally at about 2 I got on the road with the new toy. I put about 40 miles on it just driving around my area. I hit some roads with actual cars on it and this time around I was passing them.
I guess I ride like I drive. Today I hit 65 and felt fine. I still dont feel great on tight turns but I think after another trip or two I will be feeling the need for some windy roads. But then again I will force myself to take it easy, I am still uneasy with crappy pavement. The nice thing about the area I live is all the tar is brand new.
On a side note, on my jaunt today a cop and 2 fire engines blew by me. At the next intersection there was a bike (BIG ass bike) lying on the ground, about 50 feet away... the rider laying in the middle of the intersection. It looked like someone just didnt see him. Then, not even 2 min. later I am in my neighborhood thinking how drivers must not really see motorcycles when, this a hole rolls through a stop sign while I was cruising at about 40. It wasnt that close but he certianly didnt see me and I saw him look.

All in all it was a perfect day, minus broken water pump that will now take the place of my nice pazzo levers.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Oh yeah.. always operate like they won't see you.

As far as 'tight' turns - care to describe a little more?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts