Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have a 2002 750 and will be putting on tpo beast and ferracci slip ons. Which would be better or more efficient- power commander-ecu mod or the ultimap. The power commander can be done in town and the ultimap is about 3 hours away.
Would one be better- only to looking to have modification run well- no track. Thanks

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
G

·
So is Advanced a certified FIM tuning shop or is it someone else?

I believe you have an immobilizer which adds another $600.00 or so to the question, as you would need to swap out the stock ECU with FIM's.
My opinion is that Ultimap is still the way to go, but it costs more,
and to reap it's potential it really needs a good tuner on a dyno....again it's in the tuners hands.....In other words, I look for a good tuner rather then specific software.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was thinking of Advanced- Taking a long weekend and head up there. I guess I will talk with them and see what they reccommend

G

·
Let us or me know what you end up doing and what services Advance offers on the fim stuff will you?
Also look out for a guy down there named Loki ::)

G

·
I got a PCIII for my 750. FBF supplied a map for mine and claimed that while the map isnt perfect at best a custom dyno run would yield an extra 1hp or so max. So far it seems great but gotta wait for a warm day to do some real riding on it.

What kind of power improvements have you been quoted on both?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I believe you have an immobilizer which adds another $600.00 or so to the question, as you would need to swap out the stock ECU with FIM's.

Could you, please, clarify for this newbie what this means? Specifically the "$600" comment.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Do you think Ducati, Inc. will take kindly to me doing this whilst still under warranty? (In other words, am I voiding the warranty?)

And, do you think this is something I should do if I modify the intake and exhaust systems on a M1000s?

Thanks for the help, by the way.

G

·
I am pretty certain it would void your warrenty.......
So your options are do the mods do nothing and see how bike runs.....have dealer hook up bike to mathesis to richen things up for you...see if you like that......get a pciii if there is one for your bike with an appropriate map and or put in on a dyno with a Certified Dynajet shop..You might want to check if that is a warrenty void...or replace the ECU with the FIM one...and void your warrenty, again, you would need a map for your bike and mods, or have one made, or find an FIM tuner and put the bike on a dyno.... problem is there are few Ultimap places.I believe Pro-Italia does now in Cali. But I just don't think I could recommend them.....I can recommend Doug Lofgren and Manley Cycle In minneapolis and peole do send them their machines from all over the place and BCM in NH.
There is also a Techlusion box that's fairly inexpensive that can adjust for your mods in a somewhat limited way compared to FIM or pciii but people here on the list that have them seem to like them and they work.
Maybe try just have the dealer richen up the mix for you first after you do your mods and see how it runs for you.....That is what I would recommend first.

·
Registered
61 Posts
From http://www.fuelinmoto.com.au/ , Ulitmap U59 disables the Immobiliser (sic) function for all models. You can use the U59 on a race or track bike without the ignition key, immobiliser aerial, and immobiliser unit.

As I want the immobilizer functional, what I think I'll do is update the intake and outake where I can and take it in to the dealer for tweaking at the 600 mile checkup. I may, also, have them do the mods for me to keep things from getting disorderly.

Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
74 Posts
If an FIM dealer, like ProItalia, does not have a dyno how would they custom tune the map?

Also, are you tied to that shop after it's installed? I would assume the FIM has proprietary software which most DUC shops do not have.

G

·
If an FIM dealer, like ProItalia, does not have a dyno how would they custom tune the map?
that's exactly what i'd be concerned about. i've got some uncommon stuff on my bike and don't think any existing mapping (even expertly done) would apply to my bike. i've modified my velocity stacks to accept podfilters and am runnning an st4 header with custom pipes. not building a map on a dyno seems like it would be guesswork to a degree.

G

·
...that's the big problem for Ulitmap. Great product and hardly any tuners. I've been told Advanced has a dyno in Texas also.
So let's see....Minnesota, Texas, New Hampshire. Anywhere else stateside?
The funny thing is when I lived in Minneapolis I was always surprised how many bikes there were from out of town being worked on by Doug Lofgren or Fred at Manley Cycle.

·
Registered
95 Posts
BCM is a ultimap tuner. They have created a patch cord to hook-up a 1.5 ECU in place of the 5.9, then they just map the 1.5.....sounds good but maybe pricey, i would give them a call. Someone has to have the ability to crack that freakin 5.9!

Jeff

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Would a Power Commander III be an appropriate tool to use to adjust an M1000DS's FI?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts