Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All. So I need to remove my rear wheel on my 2012 Monster 796 to bleed the rear brake. I don't have the 46mm socket to get the wheel off and I don't want to pay $80-$100 for a tool I'll use a couple of times maybe. I checked and found on on Home Depot for $13:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Alltrade-3-4-in-Drive-46-mm-12-Point-Standard-Socket-643240/204505183?MERCH=REC-_-SearchPLPHorizontal1_rr-_-NA-_-204505183-_-N

Which looks a lot like the ones on eBay going for about the same price (search "ducati rear wheel socket" and sort by price). There is this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DUCATI-HYPERMOTARD-796-939-939-SP-1100-EVO-REAR-AXLE-WHEEL-SOCKET-NUT-HDESA-USA-/142520403498?hash=item212ee0c62a:m:m_gWm3oVeIcwqw7ADLgHYPA&vxp=mtr

Harbor Freight doesn't seem to have one for cheap, just part of a jumbo kit for $60, and it skips from 45mm to 48mm (idiots) so they are out. I looked at Amazon and it's a crap shoot to me, since even getting auto parts is a bit of a gamble. I've gotten wrong parts before trusting their search.

The nearest shop will do it (bleed the rear) for under $100, but that's 3-4 hours of my life waiting at some McDonald's nearby or something. So before I do that, I'd rather try a cheaper option to get the rear wheel off so I can bleed the thing myself. Anyone buy one of the "cheaper" socket options out there and have any success? For $13, I might just try the HD option. But wanted to see if anyone else has and what they say.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
No. Torque is measured by the distance between the center of the nut and handle, and that force is transferred from the socket to the reducer to the drive on the wrench. At such a high level of torque needed to tighten that nut, it should all transfer evenly without any buffering.

My wheel hasn't fallen off, if that brings any comfort.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Is that right ? You have to remove the wheel to bleed the brake ?
No. i don't even remove the caliper anymore; I have a bleeding technique that works well for the rear caliper. I've shared it on here a few times but everyone I recommended it to didn't bother to try it and did the caliper removal technique instead, so I don't bother posting it anymore. And I don't feel like hunting it down.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts