Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm thinking about replacing my stock 41-tooth rear sprocket with a 43-tooth steel afam sprocket. is anyone running the 15/43 set up? comments?

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
I was... I went back to a 41t when I got my new wheels.

The 43t was fine, but I thought that with both light wheels and a light flywheel, I could afford to get a little top end back.

I'll probably eventually get a 43t for the new wheels too.

--Fillmore

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
dumb question- is there a way to tell how many teeth there are with out physically counting? Is it marked somewhere? :-[

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Yep should be stamped on the sprocket. Tony yours is a 46 if stock

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
see, that is part of the dilemma. I dont know all the mods that were done to it. I will take a look and report back.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Can anyone with an S4 comment on the performance difference with the 43T sprocket? How much do I gain on the low end(is it a lot easier to wheelie)? How much do I lose at the top? I've taken my bike to about 145mph on the stock sprockets. Will that be cut dramatically? Will I need to change chain too?

·
Registered
735 Posts
I would like to hear some input on recommended sprocket combos for S4's also. I am not worried about losing top end, I just want the benefits down at the bottom!

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Re: 43-tooth  sprocket

Stock S4 is a 15/37.

If you go to a 43, it's gonna be a wheelie machine. Strati did a 14/39, which is a little less extreme, and he said it was a little scary until he got used to it.

A 15/43 will trim about 20 mph off of the top end though, and add 700-800 rpm to your freeway cruising rpm.

If you don't spend much time on the freeway, you may really like it.

Folks here go to a 14 on the countershaft without a new chain, but if you go to a 43, you will need a new chain or add a couple of links.

S

·
0 Posts
yep... that's right nick. i went from the 15/37 -> 15/39 first.
really liked the results of just two more teeth in back. low-speed lugging was easier with less clutch play and accelleration was more brisk. i'm not a top-speed junkie so i can't comment to top end loss.
then within a week i got greedy... went to the 14/39 setup i currently have. i can practically drop the clutch from a standstill (slight exageration =) ) and accelleration is blistering.
the one time i kinda scared myself was merging on to rt95s from rt93n in mass... the junction's always really messy as people don't seem to have a faint clue on how to merge properly... i was slowly rolling on in 3rd gear at about 4k rpm when i got fed-up with the putz in front of me. quick glance over the shoulder said all was clear the next lane over so i SNAPPED open the throttle and it was like "BLASTOFF"!!!! holy crap-o-la the bike screwed to 90mph in no-time! as soon as the instant cold sweat subsided i broke out in the most maniacle laugh of my life. good thing i was wearing a full face helmet or onlookers would've had me commited ;)

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I've got a 03 M800. whats the most i can go up to in the back and down in the front without getting a new chain? i dont mind top speed loss since i only ride to school and work, and some short city hops on the weekend.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Re: 43-tooth  sprocket

That gearing brings 3rd almost down to the OEM 2nd, and mine will boogie in 2nd.

Kinda pisses me off, the S4R has the same wide ratio gearbox as the ST4. Don't know how we got shafted with the close-ratio 'box.
The S4R with that 'box and the 15/42 final, it's 1st gear is as low as your bike, and 6th is as high as my bike with the OEM 15/37.

I almost bought an ST4 lump on EBay just to get the wide ratio gears.....

D

·
0 Posts
yep... that's right nick. i went from the 15/37 -> 15/39 first.
really liked the results of just two more teeth in back. low-speed lugging was easier with less clutch play and accelleration was more brisk. i'm not a top-speed junkie so i can't comment to top end loss.
then within a week i got greedy... went to the 14/39 setup i currently have. ;)
Hey Strati did you have to buy a new chain for this setup to work? I have the 14t I love it, but I am starting to want a little more snap.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I just put a 43T aluminum one from Sproket Spesialists. very easy instal and I like the result very much.

The bike takes off much easier, less clutch slip is needed, haven't had a chance to go for a long ride yet.

I kept my old chain, you wheel will move forward about 8-10mm to retaing 20-25mm chain slack

1 - 15 of 15 Posts