Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I owned an M750 (96) and an MH900 a while back. Regretted selling the M750 and keeping the MH. Current street ride is a KTM 950 Adventure and I ride a 525MXC in the dirt. Have had a hankering for another Monster for a long while.

Almost bought an 06 S4R from a local LA dealer on impulse yesterday for my upcoming 40th birthday, but walked out of that dealer after their high pressure tactics. Came on here last night and read a little more on the new Monsters. Despite 30 years riding experience, had a nagging feeling in the back of my mind that the S4R was going to be a little more bike than I wanted.

Visited another Duc dealer w/ a buddy this morning. Talked through the various Monster options with the owner and to my surprise he asked me if I wanted to ride some of the bikes--no pressure. I did. I checked out the S2R 800 and 1000. Rode the 800 first and then the 1k. Didn't need to ride an S4R as decided the 1000 already had more power than I want or need.

Like I said, I'm an experienced rider but I decided on the 800. Power is more than enough. Braking--supposedly a sore point seemed just fine. Flickability is superb. Loved the clutch--especially after memories of my old M750. All in all seems like a perfectly balanced bike. I'd rather be wanting to give it more gas than constantly holding back to control it.

They had an orange one and a red one. I almost went for orange as it does look stunning and is one of my favorite colors, but Ducs should be red IMHO (KTMS are orange!) so went for red/white stripe/black wheels. I also bought the bike with a CF Arrow exhaust--nothing better than that rumble through carbon! Cannot wait to pick it up next Friday. I'll be leaving work for an early lunch and long ride on the Crest. Sure beats the watch my wife was planning for a present...

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Congrats, Enjoy the new ride [thumbsup]

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Welcome aboard!

Good choice on the color. ;D

Come visit us over in the SoCal Board:SoCal Monsters.

A buddy of mine has a 950 Adventure, *very* orange indeed. [cheeky]

·
Registered
141 Posts
First off. Happy Birthday & welcome to the over 40 club.
congrats on the purchase, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
creator8 said:
I owned an M750 (96) and an MH900 a while back. Regretted selling the M750 and keeping the MH. Current street ride is a KTM 950 Adventure and I ride a 525MXC in the dirt. Have had a hankering for another Monster for a long while.

Almost bought an 06 S4R from a local LA dealer on impulse yesterday for my upcoming 40th birthday, but walked out of that dealer after their high pressure tactics. Came on here last night and read a little more on the new Monsters. Despite 30 years riding experience, had a nagging feeling in the back of my mind that the S4R was going to be a little more bike than I wanted.

Visited another Duc dealer w/ a buddy this morning. Talked through the various Monster options with the owner and to my surprise he asked me if I wanted to ride some of the bikes--no pressure. I did. I checked out the S2R 800 and 1000. Rode the 800 first and then the 1k. Didn't need to ride an S4R as decided the 1000 already had more power than I want or need.

Like I said, I'm an experienced rider but I decided on the 800. Power is more than enough. Braking--supposedly a sore point seemed just fine. Flickability is superb. Loved the clutch--especially after memories of my old M750. All in all seems like a perfectly balanced bike. I'd rather be wanting to give it more gas than constantly holding back to control it.

They had an orange one and a red one. I almost went for orange as it does look stunning and is one of my favorite colors, but Ducs should be red IMHO (KTMS are orange!) so went for red/white stripe/black wheels. I also bought the bike with a CF Arrow exhaust--nothing better than that rumble through carbon! Cannot wait to pick it up next Friday. I'll be leaving work for an early lunch and long ride on the Crest. Sure beats the watch my wife was planning for a present...
Funny, my 40 is coming up around the corner & I have an urge to buy a new bike to celebrate too.
;D
Congrats & Happy 40th bday!

·
Premium Member
4,036 Posts
Good choice, I've been very happy with the 1k. Come on out to SM and join us for a ride. [thumbsup]

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
You have a sweet trio of bikes. You have the beast of dirt bikes, the one bike in the world that perfectly blends street and dirt, and now one of the dream bikes of street. Will you please share a pic of your garage when the Ducati comes? Congratulations on the new addition.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Bravo [thumbsup]

I bought the same bike, but with white wheels for my 39th. I just couldn't wait another year.

Congrats & welcome

·
Registered
117 Posts
Its good to hear you found another dealer that let you compare the bikes. That way you got what you wanted. I am 45 and share similar interests KTM 450EXC for dirt, KTM950 Adventure for touring and 2007 S4RS recently acquired. You will really like the Arrow pipes so why not put them on right away-good call (did the same with Termis on the S4RS). Welcome back to the monster asylum and congratulations on turning 40 and finding yourself a nice present.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Congrats and Happy Birthday. We'll definitely need pics of the stable.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Congrats!

The S2R 800 is a good choice, and not as threatening as the 1K.

Your post has me thinking about my 50th b-day present ;D

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
What is it about 40th birthday that makes someone want to get a brand new bike? I'm looking to do the same, but I think I will miss the deadline.
[laugh]

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the kind words. Yes, something about the fortieth that makes you want to do something nice for yourself. And a new Monster is making me happy. Originally wanted a nice watch (another dangerous hobby) but the wife actually steered me to the bike in the end.

At some point I'll line the bikes up for a group shot. Both KTMs are also perfect bikes in their own realms but there is something about a Ducati and especially the Monster. Like I said earlier, I've long regretted selling my old one. Need to make some room in the garage for the new addition before next weekend.

Look forward to meeting some of you local guys too...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hmm- turned 40 this year(06), bought an s2r1k.
Yup, must be something to it.
Wife actually encouraged it, guess to her it's better than a new girlfriend- if she only knew how I felt about that bike ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
i'll be 40 Feb 20th
also have not road for 10years just got a used 1999 M750 and put 100miles on it.
Frakin cold but i had to. boy why did i ever sell my old bike. Ex-Wife i guess?
i used to have a VFR750 but the monster is so much more fun.

happy b-day to the old guy's

·
Registered
113 Posts
Just sold my VFR to get the monster- Do kinda miss it, but having 2 bikes outside is kinda like cleaning all your guns at once- makes the wife wonder why she's driving a 10 y.o. Honda and you got all the new stuff. [cheeky]

1 - 20 of 27 Posts