Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to ducati japan,didn't understand a word,cept they got a 400cc monster,so of course i e-mail ducati for some info and why only japan,well because of the strict pollution laws
they get the small displacement.Bummer

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
I thought the main reason is that it's very difficult to get a license to ride anything over 400cc's in Japan.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
I guess it's better than no Duc at all......

It's got a 51mm stroke, compared to the 61.5mm stroke on the 620. Probably revs to about 12k. And you would need every last one of 'em, too.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just to have one,and have fun in twisties and around town.

·
Registered
600 Posts
A licence for +401cc bikes in Japan was very hard to get. You show up at a DMV-like facility and take a do-or-die riding test. You've got one shot at riding the course without making any critical mistakes to pass. If you can't, they send you home. You set up another appointment and show up on a later date. I think the success ratio was under 1:25.

Recently the law changed so you can take courses and get a licence after completing a series of classes.

Why they drew the line at 400, I don't know. Maybe they didn't want to see too many high powered bikes running around in such a small country.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
That's pretty typical in Asain countries I think. Last summer I was in Thailand and I never saw anything above a 250 the whole time I was there. In fact it was rare to see anything over a 150. I know they pay a sales tax based on the size of the engine there. I assume it's high enough to be a pretty good deterrent for most riders there to get a smaller bike.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hiya, my first post today.

I own a Monster400, and I live in sunny Singapore, a small country in South East Asia. Have taken it at 140 km/h at about 7,500 rpm. Heard that my bike can hit 200 km/h no problem; haven't developed the guts to try it yet. Plus we're pretty strict about speeding in this country.

Yes, the 400 is nice to nip around, and I usually ride it at 100 km/h at 4,500 rpm. In Singapore, we get all sort of bikes, and the smallest is about 100 cc, the largest being about 1,500 cc.

Well, if you want to check out the Singapore scene we have a fairly busy bike forum at www.singaporebikes.com

Love my Monster; ... juz so exciting.

Cheers

cat

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Monster 400s love them!, my suzuki SV400 was way faster. They must be well below the 53ps power restriction in Japan.

They look good, they even got fuel injection this year and the 2004 mirrors. Around the twisties I think they should be good. All the Japanese 400s seem to have really cheap/soft suspension i think the monster should be better.

There are a couple in our riding group and they don't seem to be left behind especially the one with the race pipes! in narrow roads.

tks

stu

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
108gnfytr said:
Gee, I wish I could be as sophisticated and cultured as the Europeans. By the way, nice Speedos.
Well, the word on the street is that you look good in Speedos.
Thankfully, I've got no FHE on that... :p

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
US: Smith & Wesson .44 magnum
EU Walther .32 PPK

US: Ford FX4 F350 7.3l 4WD
EU: BMW M3

US: 3000 sf 4 bedrooms 3.5 baths family room, living room, den, dining room, . . .
EU: 900 sf flat overlooking the piazza . . .

US: 20 oz Porter House Steak
EU: Duck with orange

yes you're right, i guess thats why all those McDonalds are poping up, because no one is eating the big mac meals overthere, right?

i dont drive an F 350 but god d**m it i want to be able to if i want to, oh and the ppk, sorry for my ignorance but when did you guys get old enough to play w/ guns over there, i dont think you can have a .44 or a .32 can you? oh and mine is not an S&W .44 it a sig 220, thats a 45 in case you didnt know and even think its made somewhere in europe, i think germany, by the way i was born in europe and true life can be fun over there but dont start with this falic symbol #[email protected]&, given the choice how many europeans would opt for a biger house, biger car and any firearm, more then you think
and given that a average north american male is taller and biger then most males in the world, i dont think they are lacking in that department iether
there, i said my peace :-*

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
coolcat, welcome to the board, thanks for the report from singa pore, very glad to hear you digging the mini monster. very cool. what is your fuel economy like? does your 400 have the same 14 liter tank as the bigger bikes? post pics if you are able. enjoy.................... regards, dean h ravin

·
Banned
551 Posts
ducrider45 said:
and we can still kick you but ;D ;)
Lets see: we stomped the brits, the french and the spanish. Do you realy think it has anything to do wth size? I think not my friend. ;)
I don't think he was referring to size of a countries arsenal and willingness to use it.

I think a better way to explain the 400cc bike and the usefullness of it is by saying that most people err on the side of getting a bike that has alot of cc

1 - 20 of 36 Posts