Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new Arai helmet and realized after a few days that it was the wrong one for me. I haven't used it on my bike at all but I threw away the box, and I have very little hope for returning it to the dealership.

What can I do?

Am i just SOL, and out $400? It is a beautiful brand new helmet, and it's completely useless to me! I learned my lesson about buying helmets, but now what? Can I return it without a box? Can I sell it somewhere? Nobody's going to buy a "used" helmet even if it's brand spanking new!

Any help?

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Hopefully, you've still got the receipt. Failing that, the person at the dealer that helped you should remember you.

Try taking it back to the dealer. Lack of the box shouldn't be a big deal, they probably have a couple extra ones.......

M

·
0 Posts
just throw it on eBay with an insane reserve price,,,, you'll probably make money on it

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
Try selling on THIS boards classifieds - They are FREE ;D.

And since you are a board member, you will most likely be a little more trusted in selling a "used" helmet. There has got to be a home for it out there if the dealer won't take it back...

Good luck!

scooby ;D

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies, I have a bit more hope now. I do have the receipt for it, but I can't imagine that the dealer would take it back without the box and without the plastic that covers the faceshield. Maybe it's worth a shot.

If that doesn't work, keep an eye out on these classifieds and on Ebay if any of you want a really great deal on a brand new "used" Arai helmet.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Definately take it back. I assume it still looks mint-you haven't ridden with it long enough to get nicks or scrapes on it right?

Arai is supposed to have a qualified fitter sell you a helmet. That's why there is no more online sales because there would be no one to fit it to you. That being said, go back and ask them to re-fit you! If they refuse to take it back-which is possible as most manufacturers say that a single drop to the floor can render a helmet in need of replacement and the shop has no way of knowing of you dropped it or not-ask for the number of the local Arai rep. Call him and explain that you purchased a helmet from one of his authorized dealers and got a bad fit. See what he'll do for you. eBay and classified ads where you're gonna prolly get less than you paid for it should be you're last option.

Good luck,
Miles

·
Registered
455 Posts
I hope your dealer/Arai does the right thing by you, but just in case they don't, let's get the ball rolling here - what model/size/color is it?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I talked to the dealer on the phone earlier and he said "no way- no returns on helmets." It even says that on the receipt. And then I explained I haven't used it at all and I just want a different one etc, etc, etc.

Finally he told me to call back tomorrow and talk to the sales person who sold it to me- he will make the final decision. So I may be able to return it, but I sorta doubt it. We'll see.

If anybody's interested, it's an Arai Astral silver size small.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
GO DOWN THERE AND BRING THE HELMET AND THE RECEIPT!! It's easy to say no over the phone. Go there and see the guy who sold you an ill fitting helmet. Tell him it's definatly the wrong shape and/or size. Assure him it's not some sort of scam or trick as you are looking to get another equal or more likely more expensive helmet not get your money back. Did you remove all the tags and stickers and what not? Having those attached helps a bunch. If all that fails ask for that reps number and try working on him.

Don't give up!!!

M

·
0 Posts
Just out of curiousity what is wrong with the fit? You have to give helmets time. When I bought my monster they threw a Ducati (Suomy) helmet in with the deal. It didn't fit very well at all, but I stuck with it and after a couple weeks it started to improve, and now it's fine. I have an Arai also, which started out fairly tight, and now is so loose I can't even use it anymore.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Is it some kind of state law ( sorta like swimwear) no returns... cause all the shops here have signs , no helmet returns????

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
FWIW, I returned a helmet to a dealer a few days after I bought it. I simply changed my mine and decided to go with a more expensive helmet. They took it back with no questions. I did have the box and hadn't removed the stickers from the visor, though.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Is it some kind of state law ( sorta like swimwear) no returns... cause all the shops here have signs , no helmet returns????
No, I think it's a Liability Insurance thing. It's a piece of safety equipment, so they don't want to take it back because you might have dropped it or damaged it, and you can't tell if it's good just by looking at it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
DUCnHAR and Speeddog- I think you're both right.

When I talked to the dealer earlier he actually said, "It's kinda like underwear- you just can't return it." But I also think that it is a liability issue.

Miles- I did take all of the stickers and stuff off, and that's mainly why I don't think a return would be possible. I'm a pretty persistent person and I usually get what I want, but I can't imagine a dealer taking back a helmet without the original packaging and all.

But I think Morpheus may have the answer after all. I took your advice and wore the helmet around my apartment for a couple of hours this evening and sure enough, it seems to be adjusting to me- or me to it.

I'm going to give it a little time and hope that my helmet and I bond. If not, I'll just sell it somewhere really cheap and buy a new one- no big deal in the great scheme of things . I'm just happy to be riding.

On a side note- I understand why Arai has banned internet and mail order sales. But the logic falls short when sales people don't know the product or don't take the time to fit you properly. If Arai is going to be strict about it, they should also provide the necessary training to the sales staff. My helmet may actually work out in the end, but it's not because I was given a proper fit- I was simply pointed toward "apparel."

·
Registered
136 Posts
No returns, but what about exchanges for a different size? I bought my helmet from Cycle Gear, instead of a dealer, just because they had an exchange policy.

Also, does your helmet have removable cheek pads? I have the Arai Quantum and the cheekpads are removable, so you can switch them out for bigger or smaller cheekpads.

M

·
0 Posts
- On a side note- I understand why Arai has banned internet and mail order sales. But the logic falls short when sales people don't know the product or don't take the time to fit you properly. If Arai is going to be strict about it, they should also provide the necessary training to the sales staff. My helmet may actually work out in the end, but it's not because I was given a proper fit- I was simply pointed toward "apparel."
how does banning internet sales and phone orders insure a proper fit?

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
I had to special order an X-small, and was afraid if it didn't fit right they wouldn't take it back, cause along with the "no-return" helmet sign, there was a no returns on special order signs. But I guess it wasn't a " special" order they just didn't have X-small in stock. But , no problem, tried the helmet on right at the counter when I picked it up , in front of the sales guy.... perfect fit , snug with no pressure points.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
they guys at Pro-Italia told me part of the reason ARAI stopped doing phone internet was due to re-stocking fees or some such.

makes no sense to me..I'm just telling ya what I heard.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts