Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does Marchesini or any other company make a wheel set for monsters with a 4.5" rear wheel width? The smallest i've seen is 5.5". Would a forged aluminum wheel, which is wider and have a wider tire have any benefits over the stock brembo slimmer wheel with a lighter tire?

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anyone?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I pm'd ya

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
CETME said:
Does Marchesini or any other company make a wheel set for monsters with a 4.5" rear wheel width? The smallest i've seen is 5.5".
How determined are you? Someone on here has fitted R6 wheels to their Monster IIRC... You don't _need_ to buy a "Monster specific" wheel, you'll just need to deal with getting the right spacers and bearings to make something else "work"...

Would a forged aluminum wheel, which is wider and have a wider tire have any benefits over the stock brembo slimmer wheel with a lighter tire?
Hard call. Lightweight wheels are almost universally accepted as always being "better". Wider tires are always said to affect handling adversely, but many people put wide tires on for looks and are happy enough with the handling afterwards. I don't suppose there's likely to be anyone who's actually tried what you're suggesting, so all you're likely to get are opinions...

big

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I'd like to keep the slimmer 160 tire, rather than having to go with a 180. I'm really happy with the handling of the bike, but I would like to further improve it, rather than take a step back.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
CETME said:
Thanks guys. I'd like to keep the slimmer 160 tire, rather than having to go with a 180. I'm really happy with the handling of the bike, but I would like to further improve it, rather than take a step back.
If you ever get a chance, try a 150/60 rear 110/80 front combo sometime. I've been running that for the last few tire changes and I'm almost certain that it rally does ride better (its a small difference though, and it _might_ just be psycological improvement rather that actual improvement...)

big

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ian,

Tough tire sizes to find though right? But an interesting tire choice as well....

I tried to find some wheels for a different bike in 4.5" and no such luck.... slimmest aftermarket wheel I could find was 5.25" .... I'll keep looking...

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
CETME said:
Tough tire sizes to find though right? But an interesting tire choice as well....
No-one's ever got them on the shelf, but I've never had any trouble getting them ordered in - only takes my local guy 24 hr's if I ask him for them before about 10:30am. I _once_ had to waut two days while he got a 100/80 in for me (for my little Honda).

I've been getting Bridgestones, 014 fronts and 020 rears...

big

·
Premium Member
2,089 Posts
yeah the 150 rear/110 front is how sport bikes all used to be back in the day, i.e. 80s and early 90s. So you can get the tires no problem, a lot of people don't have them sitting on the shelf anymore though.

Justin

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
A.Duc.H.Duc. said:
yeah the 150 rear/110 front is how sport bikes all used to be back in the day, i.e. 80s and early 90s. So you can get the tires no problem, a lot of people don't have them sitting on the shelf anymore though.
Over here up until a few years ago, 250cc Production Racing was pretty big - RGV250s and Aprilia RS250s - the rules required them to run on street tires, so there was quite a serious choice available in the 110/70 and 110/80 fronts and 150/60 rears in super sticky compounds...

Unfortunately with the two stroke "smokers" going the way of the dodo, everyones moved to 600cc production or 600 supersport racing, so the club racers tire sizes have gone up to 120 fronts and 160 or 180 rears. Thats good in one way for my little 750cc Monster, but it really can't use all that edge grip that tires like Rennsports or 009's have to offer, its grinding away headers at the front and folding up footpegs and grinding my low mount cans at the rear well before sticky tires start running out of grip - it'll happily do that with an 020 on the rear and I can get 15 or 20,000km out of one of them...

big

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I emailed Carrozzeria, and they said they will have 17x4.5" wheels available for the monster in 8-10 weeks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts