Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my Monster serviced this week-end at Riverside. 3k mi service - $260 plus extra $50 for front sprocket.
New sprocket makes all the difference in the world - I actually rode the bike back home on Mass Pike in a stop-n-go traffic at the worst time of the day and it never stalled or hesitated on me. Best $50 I ever spent so far.
My oil leak turned out to be combination of over-lubed chain and leaking oil window seal. Latter is apparently a known issue and was fixed in 5 minutes to my relief.
BTW, while I was wondering around, I came across a beautiful Triumph Speed Triple in aluminum silver. Looked great! Curious as to how they compare to Monsters? Anyone rode one?

Anyway, I'm back in business. Now, some sun would be nice. :)

Dimitri

M

·
0 Posts
so what do they do for you at the 3000 mile service? i'm thinking hoping you hit a 3 instead of 6 on the keypad?

speed triple was buzzy imo... a lot of power compared to a monster that's not a S4... but overall impression on me was blandness. i hopped on a pink and black one... so it was kinda ugly too.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Yeah, my 3000 mile service consisted of me changing the oil and lubing the chain for a total cost of about 1/10 what you spent.

I'm curious what else they did.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, 3k mi service, or as they called it "minor tune-up" included oil change, chain lube, all fluids flushed and the (oil) window seal replaced to cure the leak. On top of that, I paid $52 to have new front sprocket installed and have them replaced the cracked front turn signal (that I provided, and labor was free).
Was it too much? My understanding was that 3k mi service is usually around $200-250 and the 6k mi one is somewhere around $600-650 with valve adjustment being done at the time.

Dimitri

Yeah, my 3000 mile service consisted of me changing the oil and lubing the chain for a total cost of about 1/10 what you spent.

I'm curious what else they did.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Yikes, $600+ for 6k service seems real high to me. I just had mine done at a reputable shop in the Northeast (BCM) and it was $350 and included warrenty replacement of my belt pulleys, new belts, warrenty of a wiring harness, and a recall of my slave cylinder. I'm from the Boston area too. Did Riverside actually quote you that price for a 2v Duc? Call Nault's and BCM to get a frame of reference. There are other dealers around too but I have no first hand experience with them. I like Riverside and I suspect there has maybe been a miscommunication about the cost. If they still want $600+ I'd go somewhere else though

Also, if you are so inclined, skip the "professional" minor tune up next time and spend that money on tools, supplies, and a stand. What they did can easily be done in your driveway. This site has great info on this sort of stuff: http://www.ducatisuite.com/home.html I've been pimpin this site alot because it's so well done, clearly written and photographed, and informative.

S

·
0 Posts
Up here in Seattle the 600 was about $250 or so (glorified oil change and a blessing) and the 6000 was about $600.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Miles
Yes, Riverside quoted me $260 for 3k mi service and $600+ for 6k mi. Wish I knew earlier that this was over the top.. Wouldn't have gotten screwed. :( I'll think twice before I come back to that place ever again. [smiley=mad.gif]
I'll give a call to people at BCM but unfortunately they're about 2+ hours away so I may need to research my other options. Andersen Cycle Works is right around the corner but I don't know if they service Ducs.

Dimitri

Yikes, $600+ for 6k service seems real high to me.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Yeah BCM is far, but one cool thing is that they are the only shop I've heard of that invites you to sit in on the service and watch and aks questions. INVALUABLE experience to see things done by someone who knows what they are doing. If you could take a day off and spend it up there, it's like getting a free workshop along with the service.

I'm really surprised at Riversides pricing. I was very happy with thier 600 mile break-in service... Anderson isn't a Duc dealer as far as I know and I'd be wary of bring our engines to a shop that isn't very familair with them. Not to say that it isn't possible that they could do a good job but why find out on your own rig. Log on to Ducati North America's site and do a dealer search for MA and NH. There are a handful of shops around us you could go to. Good luck!

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
My 18,000 mile service (same as a 6000 mile service) was $260 plus tax at Nichols Manufacturing. I had them do some fork work which brought the total to about $360 including tax.

...Just another reference point.

M

·
0 Posts
Sorry to say it Dimitri but I think you got taken for a ride. The '3k service' should basically just be an oil change. The rest of the stuff (clean and lube chain .. check things over etc) is things that you probably do on a regular basis anyways.

James

1 - 13 of 13 Posts