Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1) Is it a big deal if I broke off 1 of the 4 bolts that holds the tail assy, etc. to the frame? :-[

2) Emissions Pod Removal - The directions I received said to run the tank overflow line trhough the fram under the seat. It doesn't mention anything about plugging the end. Doesn't that just allow the gas to evaporate out of the tank? Why wouldn't I plug it? ???

3) What is that big black odd shaped plastic thing under the seat that has hoses running to it from the engine? Has anyone ever removed theirs? Is it simply cut the hoses and plug and remove the plastic bits? ::)

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
I'm curious about #3 myself...

G

·
1. No, but Junk the tail assembily and cut off the tail (Search tail chop or see it in the FAQ section)

2. ???

3. Emissions Pod, junk it or sell it on e-bay, I hear they're going for like $50

I'm kidding about the e-bay thing.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
I think the item under the seat/tank being talked about is some kind of overflow reservoir, it's not the emmissions canister. Anybody know what I'm talking about?

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
There are two "things." One is the charcoal evaproative emissions cannister. On the carbed bikes, it's a cylinder under the seat. On FI bikes, it was moved over behind the right side cover and on S4Rs it's a massive ugly nearly rectangular thing right out in plain sight (oh, the horrors!).

The odd shaped plastic resevoir is the crankcase breather catch tank. It is intended to collect any oil vapor blown out of the crankcase ventilation valve. The oil trapped there is supposed to get sucked into the engine and get burned.

The carbon cannister does nothing good for your bike. It may or may not do something good for the environment.

The crankcase catch tank with associated vacuum plumbing is said by some (including some very knowledgable individuals) to yield a little bit more power. Mine is gone anyway.

·
Premium Member
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the help. I plan on junking the pod (I've seen 'em on eBay not sure that's the route I want to go ;))

Removed the big thing hanging of the back for a much smaller steel plate/reflector hanger. Not sure I can use my Mandarin bags and have a tail chop so I'm holding off.

Don_McDaniel - thanks for pointing me to the link (http://www.ducatimonster.org/faq/faq_emissions.html). However, since that is where I got my instructions for the removal and it didn't answer my questions . . . :p

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Uh, I didn't reread the info before pointing you to it. I assumed the info was there because it points to all the sites I used for research before doing my de-smog job.

I guess I collected more information from other sources.

There have been a few threads on this subject (hence the FAQ entry). The search function on this board stinks, so I won't burden you with that suggestion...

·
Premium Member
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey, give yourselves some credit. Every mod I've done came from instructions, helpful hints, etc. from postings on the list and I have found most of it by searching or in the FAQs.

I would call your search engine and FAQs wonderful!

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
1) Not a big deal, but you may get some vibration. I'd suggest going to someplace like "Ace Hardware" and get a replacement bolt and drill (tap & die) the old bolt out.

2) DON'T PLUG or crimp the overflow line. Fuel tanks need to breath! The tank sometime needs to vent pressures from evaporate fuel (mainly from heat). If the line is block you can get the same results as "vapor lock".

3) I think you are referring to the crankcase vent reservoir. Like the fuel tank, the engine crankcase needs to breath. There should be a small round cylinder (with a reed valve inside) that connects the vent hose to the case. Lockhart Phillips as a replace crankcase breather filter that lets you remove the reservoir, stock valve and connecting line.
http://www.lockhartphillipsusa.com/pages/product-sub3.asp?id=379

When in doubt, I'd double check with a local Ducati mechanic...

Good luck!

·
Registered
339 Posts
you'll need the hand rails for the mandarina bags, but a tail chop would be ok if you can keep the signals our of the way of the end of the bags. I use my bags often on my 620 for the work commute. Its a lot easier to latch those two bags on than screw around with a huge courier bag packed with files. The bag itself makes a passable briefcase as well.

mike

·
Premium Member
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Agreed. I love my Mandarin bags! I use them all the time, and even as luggage/breifcase when I'm not riding!

My concern was the clearance of lenses and the bags. I want to use the stock parts, guess it could be done . . . just need to find someone smarter than me to help figure it out :p

·
Premium Member
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK, here's a fourth question - I removed the rear hugger so that the back would be more open and purty. Should I put the mounting bolts back in the holes or use something else to plug them?

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
I'd put the bolts back in or plug the holes, just to protect the treads incase you ever decide to put the hugger back on.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts