Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. please don't all start lining up to throw stones at me for this question, but what is the difference (other than the obvious) between the 2V and the 4V motors.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
*throws stone at you*

·
Registered
61 Posts
Ok, I will confuse you even more. The 93 to 03 monsters (ie 600,620,750,900) have 2 valve motors. The s4 has a 916 4 valve motor the s4r has a 996 4 valve motor, and the new monsters (ie 800,1000) have 3 valve motors.

·
Registered
248 Posts

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
The new monster 1000 uses the dual spark motor, not the 3 valve from the ST3.

Early 2V were all air/oil cooled. That changed on the 906/907 (paso), which are water cooled. They kind of were the predecessor to the ST2 - a water cooled aimed more at sport touring.

The 2V in the monster and SS still remain air/oil cooled.

M

·
0 Posts
well you've got the 2v motor in your 620... ducati started putting 4v's in the monster back in 2001 with the release of the S4.

4v's were typically fuel injected water cooled... totally different beast than the 2v. basically a four valver starts out where the two valvers finish, but something is to be said for simplicity.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Re: 2V VS 4V?  Ok, so I'm stupid!

As far as the 4V Monsters go...

S4 has essentially the same motor as the ST4, except it has the close-ratio 'strada' gearbox (heaven only knows why :( ) It's 916cc, but it's not a '916' motor, at the very least, the heads are different. Each cam has 4 lobes.

AFAIK, the S4R motor is identical to the ST4S motor, and has the same wide-ratio gearbox. It's 996cc, but not a '996' motor, again, different heads.

I am not aware of any Ducati 4V air-cooled motors being produced. Probably prototypes tho...

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
The importortant thing to remember is that the 4v motors are water cooled, & water cooled motors in a naked, monster stlye bike are for sissies!!!!

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Re: 2V VS 4V?  Ok, so I'm stupid!

I thought they were for us girlymons ???
You mean to tell me they're for sissies too ???

·
Registered
668 Posts
Water cooled 4 v 2 sp s are for real manly sissies !

Aircooled 2twin 2valve 4sp monsters rule and the riders are real men and women, handsome and beautifuls, world and peace loving creatures.

So, 800 and 1000 monsters are not 3v, 1000 is 2v 4 sp 1 dc, when 800 is 2v 2so wc.

Avete capito tutto ?

Skier

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
But remember, manly people, the 3V motor is water cooled. You don't want no stinkin' radiators on your monster....

;)

·
Registered
827 Posts
Ok, so I understand the mechanical difference between 2v and 4v engines. What I want to know is, what's the great appeal of the 2v. It seems most people on this board can't get enough of it. Is it just cuz it's simpler and less cluttered? Does it have to do with the performance or sound? I've never ridden or even heard a 4v monster so I don't know. All I have to compare it to is my 4v honda, but I don't think thats a true comparison.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Well several people already gave you one answer why the 2V is special.

1) it's air cooled so nu fugly radiator messing with the perfect original design. While many people will take the additional power of the 4V motors, NOBODY will claim the water-coolers look BETTER!
2) it's simpler and hence less costly to maintain

·
Registered
668 Posts
Yes You are right !

2v makes less noice than 4v.

;D

I am just so in love with the simplicity of 1000cc 2v 4sp engine. 4v S4R has more hp. ST3 is smoother in low rpms,
but I do not think these are in relation that much due to valve count.

Then again, I did my studies in rf which I still do not capisco tutto, so ,
it is friday, I miss my wine....

Skier

M

·
0 Posts
The importortant thing to remember is that the 4v motors are water cooled, & water cooled motors in a naked, monster stlye bike are for sissies!!!!
what norm fails to tell everyone is that he has a tlr 1000 that's naked AND water cooled...

norm's a sissy... and deep down inside really wants a s4. ;D

there's definitely a difference in sound in my opinion... the 2v's have more menace when at idle. probably because the water jackets dampen engine noise on the 4v. maybe because of the larger valves on the 2v. but either at full throttle are cool to listen to and get my juices goin'.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts