Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I met with a DML'er this week and noticed that he was in jeopardy of serious engine damage.

Check out this pic:

Now, below the cracks shown in this picture, HIS inner cover was lifted out and rubbing on the belt! ALSO, the cracks went almost completely across. One light tap with a chisel and the piece fell off and promptly broke into two!! There was only a piece 1mm wide by 5 or 6mm long holding it on! IF this breaks, it can get sucked into the belt and cam sprocket.

If you have 2V engine 1998 or older, you should double check this...

Chris

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Thanks Chris. Good catch.

If I ever wanted to publish a book, I think I would gather up all the little "Gotchas" that people have discovered about these machines - and the cures where they exist. The title, of course: "Oh, And One More Thing To Worry About"

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Another good reason to take that sh*t off.

·
Premium Member
1,679 Posts

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Thanks Chris. Good catch.

If I ever wanted to publish a book, I think I would gather up all the little "Gotchas" that people have discovered about these machines - and the cures where they exist. The title, of course: "Oh, And One More Thing To Worry About"
Actually, all of these little gotchas should be in a FAQ somewhere on this site. That would be quite valuable.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Scott,

Not sure if you noticed on this thread but your M900 engine breathed again yesterday and I'm more than happy with the engine. Zina loves it, too, since Pongo is no longer belching oil and isn't stinky any more. :)

·
Registered
796 Posts
It was my bike that had the cracked inner belt cover. I am not runnin any outer covers and I inspect the belts regularly but never even noticed how bad that inner plastic was. Thanks for noticing it Chris, you may have saved me ALOT of $$
Bill

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you have 2V engine 1998 or older, you should double check this.
Actually, I should say something like "a few years old" as opposed to declaring an arbitrary year marker of 1998. I DO know that at some point, Ducati changed the inner cover to incorporate a metal plate, as the last one I bought (I think) had this.

This little tid bit is something that I always look for but keep forgetting to talk about.

:) Chris

1 - 9 of 9 Posts