Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
To go straight to SP without ever having done an S, and not include lightweight forged or carbon wheels with the SP seems wrong. SPs need carbon wheels period. The S could have included adjustable Showa F/R, forged wheels, and striped liveries. The SP kicks it up with Ohlins, Stylemas, BSTs, "winter" livery. Boat anchor wheels should not be tolerated in 2022.

·
Registered
30 Posts
LOL how can anybody note upgraded brake rotors and Ohlins from that fuzzy foto. Come on bro. SF V4SP comes with BSTs. Everybody now understands lightweight wheels are the business. Instead of insane power levels why not try to beat physics in a more clever way? The V4SP has no engine differences from the S or the non S. It does not even come with upgraded exhaust. They gave it better suspension, better brakes, and lighter carbon wheels (which make the upgraded suspension work even better). They should have done the same for the Monster. Those wheels make a difference.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I disagree. Monster SP should come with lightweight wheels. I did not say full carbon wheels though. Forged at least. Providing factory forged wheels should be the bare minimum. The stock cast wheels are too heavy. So why call it an SP? Why not simply make it the S if you are not going to upgrade the wheels? Also, carbon wheels are not made only for SSA bikes. BST makes carbon wheels for dual sided swingarm bikes also. So does Dymag, so does Thyssen Krupp, so does Rotobox, etc.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'd be down for some forged aluminum wheels. Forged magnesium would have added cost to the tune of $2K+. Either way, IIRC, the wheels on the standard 937 already went on a diet relative to the 821 wheels. Why an SP? This is not the same SP as on their V4 bikes -- the level of trim and performance is different as is the price delta. The Monster SP falls into the same level as all the other 937 motor SP bikes, and is priced accordingly. And I'll argue that $18K to $20K for a Monster SP would be a tough sell.

I am well aware that carbon wheels are available for non-SSSA bikes. But the wheel YOU used as an example (SF V4SP) is the (original) variation of BST's RapidTEK and that is only available for SSSA bikes at the moment, and it's not likely they would retool the rear wheel for a limited number of Monster SPs. AFAIK, the other carbon wheel manufacturers are not contracted with Ducati, and Thyssen Krupp AG no longer makes wheels as I understand, though I doubt it's because of the failures they had when they were providing wheels for the S1000RR.

Meh, still needs forged wheels from the factory. Without the increase in cost. This is 2022, forged wheels are not so exotic anymore, and thusly not so difficult to manufacture. If MT-09 SPs have them at $11k MSRP, so should the Monster SP which costs far more. Cast wheels are obsolete. Ducati shortchanging their customers again.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Anyways , forged wheels will increase cost. A lot.
Disagree. Ducati needs to provide forged wheels at the very least on any an all SP designations. If it will not include lightweight wheels, the SP designation is a bit disingenuous. SP is supposed to hold higher rank than S. So an SP with cast wheels is lame. It should only be an S.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts