Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
IF Ducati had come out with this bike at the get go of the new Monsters run, I just might have ended up with one. Instead, I went balls deep and completely reworked the chassis/brakes on my EVO. I thought I would never consider a liquid cooled Monster, but this comes annoyingly close to convincing me. Had they put the V2 engine in, it would be a compelling argument for me to get one now. I just can't do the SF look right now.

Instead, I am content with my +/- 100hp air cooled Ducs... :)

Oh, in my opinion, everybody will benefit from improved suspension. Ohlins for everyone!!! And I think a lot of people will be pleasantly surprised at the stock wheel weights of the new Monsters. There is a definite point of diminishing returns for the added cost of upgraded wheels, and I think this is the case in this instance.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I disagree. Monster SP should come with lightweight wheels. I did not say full carbon wheels though. Forged at least. Providing factory forged wheels should be the bare minimum. The stock cast wheels are too heavy. So why call it an SP? Why not simply make it the S if you are not going to upgrade the wheels? Also, carbon wheels are not made only for SSA bikes. BST makes carbon wheels for dual sided swingarm bikes also. So does Dymag, so does Thyssen Krupp, so does Rotobox, etc.
I suppose if they called it an R I would agree. A non numbered SP whose price reflects upshelf suspension and a few nice visual tweaks isn't going to have forged wheels. Put forged wheels on it, and it is going to be priced out of the market. If you want forged wheels so bad, go buy some. I did on my Monster EVO, but there are very few people who think that that is a reasonable idea with a bike like the EVO.

I really don't care about the 'an SP should have...' argument. In this instance, I think it means that this is the top dog Monster, and there is no intent on taking the model any higher up the food chain. They want the SF to be the sporty, upmarket entry into the category. Could they have called it an S? Sure, but they didn't.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Meh, still needs forged wheels from the factory. Without the increase in cost. This is 2022, forged wheels are not so exotic anymore, and thusly not so difficult to manufacture. If MT-09 SPs have them at $11k MSRP, so should the Monster SP which costs far more. Cast wheels are obsolete. Ducati shortchanging their customers again.
Meh. MT09 SP wheels are "spin forged" aka cold rolled cast wheels. They work great, are light and are definitely not forged. I have cold rolled wheels on my auto x car and they are strong and light, yet much less costly than a true forged wheels. As strong? No.
Anyways , forged wheels will increase cost. A lot.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts