Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
I think people forget that the Monster is the entry-level Ducati. It's the entrance to the brand for folks that want more highway capability than a Scrambler.

The OEM suspension, while nonadjustable, is more than adequate. Especially for smaller riders. What Ducati have built with the SP is a version of the Monster for the experienced riders that like the Ducati cachet, feel, and sound...but don't have the budget issues of the newer riders. People who are mature enough to know that 100hp is plenty, that a little comfort is nice, and that can benefit from the suspension and braking changes.

The bike is absolutely brilliant to ride, but it won't get you the most street-cred at Starbucks, and that's the main complaint really.

The SP will sell a handful of units (and that's all they'll make) and it will sell predominately to the older crowd, enthusiasts, and dealership owners. I already know two dealership owners that are on the list.

The buying public see a spec sheet and MSRP and would go to the Streetfighter V2, which has more power (but not until way up in the revs) and is more serious about performance, but is frankly not as fun to ride. And that's fine, the SP isn't for them. It's for the few dozen riders that don't care if you're impressed with their bike and have 16k.

·
Super Moderator
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think people forget that the Monster is the entry-level Ducati. It's the entrance to the brand for folks that want more highway capability than a Scrambler.

The OEM suspension, while nonadjustable, is more than adequate. Especially for smaller riders. What Ducati have built with the SP is a version of the Monster for the experienced riders that like the Ducati cachet, feel, and sound...but don't have the budget issues of the newer riders. People who are mature enough to know that 100hp is plenty, that a little comfort is nice, and that can benefit from the suspension and braking changes.

The bike is absolutely brilliant to ride, but it won't get you the most street-cred at Starbucks, and that's the main complaint really.

The SP will sell a handful of units (and that's all they'll make) and it will sell predominately to the older crowd, enthusiasts, and dealership owners. I already know two dealership owners that are on the list.

The buying public see a spec sheet and MSRP and would go to the Streetfighter V2, which has more power (but not until way up in the revs) and is more serious about performance, but is frankly not as fun to ride. And that's fine, the SP isn't for them. It's for the few dozen riders that don't care if you're impressed with their bike and have 16k.
I agree, but I think that they will sell more than a handful.

For the average rider, Ohlins is more show than go, but the heart wants what the heart wants. The price delta more than covers an upgrade from standard to full Ohlins suspension. And they happen to throw in an upgrade to Stylema calipers, a nice livery, and a cool exhaust ;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
To go straight to SP without ever having done an S, and not include lightweight forged or carbon wheels with the SP seems wrong. SPs need carbon wheels period. The S could have included adjustable Showa F/R, forged wheels, and striped liveries. The SP kicks it up with Ohlins, Stylemas, BSTs, "winter" livery. Boat anchor wheels should not be tolerated in 2022.

·
Registered
30 Posts
LOL how can anybody note upgraded brake rotors and Ohlins from that fuzzy foto. Come on bro. SF V4SP comes with BSTs. Everybody now understands lightweight wheels are the business. Instead of insane power levels why not try to beat physics in a more clever way? The V4SP has no engine differences from the S or the non S. It does not even come with upgraded exhaust. They gave it better suspension, better brakes, and lighter carbon wheels (which make the upgraded suspension work even better). They should have done the same for the Monster. Those wheels make a difference.

·
Registered
M1100S - H1100S - MTS1100S - XT250
299 Posts
The reason it's called a SP (first Monster to get the SP moniker I think) and not a S has little to do with the goodies it comes with.

It's to follow the best seller in the class - Yamaha MT-09 SP.
SP vs SP so as not to confuse potential buyers who can't read spec sheets.

Anyway the Monster is like a good TV show that has gone one season too many.

·
Super Moderator
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
To go straight to SP without ever having done an S, and not include lightweight forged or carbon wheels with the SP seems wrong. SPs need carbon wheels period. The S could have included adjustable Showa F/R, forged wheels, and striped liveries. The SP kicks it up with Ohlins, Stylemas, BSTs, "winter" livery. Boat anchor wheels should not be tolerated in 2022.
There is a much larger price delta for Streetfighter and Panigale SP’s than there is for the Monster SP. The Ducati-exclusive version of the BST RapidTEK’s cost more than the $3K difference in Monster models. I don’t think a $20K Monster SP would sell very well.

·
Super Moderator
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
LOL how can anybody note upgraded brake rotors and Ohlins from that fuzzy foto. Come on bro. SF V4SP comes with BSTs. Everybody now understands lightweight wheels are the business. Instead of insane power levels why not try to beat physics in a more clever way? The V4SP has no engine differences from the S or the non S. It does not even come with upgraded exhaust. They gave it better suspension, better brakes, and lighter carbon wheels (which make the upgraded suspension work even better). They should have done the same for the Monster. Those wheels make a difference.
The Stylemas and aluminum flanges reduce unsprung mass by 2 lbs. While this isn’t rotational weight, yes, it will allow the upgraded forks to work better. The other SP models built around the 937 motor like the Hypermotard, etc. do not have carbon wheels (again, expense). There are only 5 Ducati models, of which only 3 are current (V4SP to be replaced by SP2), that have the BSTs you reference, and the least expensive one is $35k. I’ve been running those wheels for a few years now and agree they make a difference, but while I love them on the superbikes, I don’t think I’d pay for a Monster with them. Besides, those particular wheels only fit SSSA bikes.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Very well said. You basically described me! I have the following in my stable; Panigale V2. (dedicated track bike) Bayliss V2, 2008 Hyper 1100, Aprilia 660rs (track only), Vespa 300……The Monster is iconic heritage brand for Ducati. And as a old romantic, I could not help myself. Ordered one today

·
Registered
47 Posts
IF Ducati had come out with this bike at the get go of the new Monsters run, I just might have ended up with one. Instead, I went balls deep and completely reworked the chassis/brakes on my EVO. I thought I would never consider a liquid cooled Monster, but this comes annoyingly close to convincing me. Had they put the V2 engine in, it would be a compelling argument for me to get one now. I just can't do the SF look right now.

Instead, I am content with my +/- 100hp air cooled Ducs... :)

Oh, in my opinion, everybody will benefit from improved suspension. Ohlins for everyone!!! And I think a lot of people will be pleasantly surprised at the stock wheel weights of the new Monsters. There is a definite point of diminishing returns for the added cost of upgraded wheels, and I think this is the case in this instance.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I disagree. Monster SP should come with lightweight wheels. I did not say full carbon wheels though. Forged at least. Providing factory forged wheels should be the bare minimum. The stock cast wheels are too heavy. So why call it an SP? Why not simply make it the S if you are not going to upgrade the wheels? Also, carbon wheels are not made only for SSA bikes. BST makes carbon wheels for dual sided swingarm bikes also. So does Dymag, so does Thyssen Krupp, so does Rotobox, etc.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I disagree. Monster SP should come with lightweight wheels. I did not say full carbon wheels though. Forged at least. Providing factory forged wheels should be the bare minimum. The stock cast wheels are too heavy. So why call it an SP? Why not simply make it the S if you are not going to upgrade the wheels? Also, carbon wheels are not made only for SSA bikes. BST makes carbon wheels for dual sided swingarm bikes also. So does Dymag, so does Thyssen Krupp, so does Rotobox, etc.
I suppose if they called it an R I would agree. A non numbered SP whose price reflects upshelf suspension and a few nice visual tweaks isn't going to have forged wheels. Put forged wheels on it, and it is going to be priced out of the market. If you want forged wheels so bad, go buy some. I did on my Monster EVO, but there are very few people who think that that is a reasonable idea with a bike like the EVO.

I really don't care about the 'an SP should have...' argument. In this instance, I think it means that this is the top dog Monster, and there is no intent on taking the model any higher up the food chain. They want the SF to be the sporty, upmarket entry into the category. Could they have called it an S? Sure, but they didn't.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts