Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

What do you think?

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
A trellis frame doesn’t make it a Ducati...the engine, the sound, and the badge on the tank makes it a Ducati. A ‘21 Monster will still turn heads and have that “wow” effect because it’s a Ducati. Engineering progresses...otherwise we’d still be using carburetors, spoke wheels, and brake cables.
You're right, it doesn't. But it adds to its character. Nothing about a trellis frame is antiquated. If that were true then I'm sure KTM would have sought other options for their new Super Duke R. The trellis frame part of the reason why Ducati was successful with the 916-998 bikes in WSBR. And its why Pierobon continues to make a trellis frame for the Panigale. How many championships has the Panigale won?

Engineering progresses you say...LOL. Well, do I have news for you! Ducati has literally made the same belt driven engine for the past 30 or 40 years with minor evolutions up until recently when they introduced the V4 engine to the mass market.

Using words like engineering progress does not mean you understand the dynamics of frame designs or the pros and cons of each type of design.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Engineering progresses you say...LOL. Well, do I have news for you! Ducati has literally made the same belt driven engine for the past 30 or 40 years with minor evolutions up until recently when they introduced the V4 engine to the mass market.
Don't forget about these bad boys! How long has the Monster been rocking these?

From carburetors and cable driven speedometers, to LCD displays and ABS. And yet these huge beasts have been hitting the tank for 25 years. Unless of course you adjust the stops out until you have the turning radius of a city bus.

I say 1-1/2 stars max.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Don't forget about these bad boys! How long has the Monster been rocking these?

From carburetors and cable driven speedometers, to LCD displays and ABS. And yet these huge beasts have been hitting the tank for 25 years. Unless of course you adjust the stops out until you have the turning radius of a city bus.

View attachment 225909

I say 1-1/2 stars max.
HAH! I got so fed up with that starter switch I installed one of these so I never have to deal with it hitting the tank. I secured it to the frame behind the fork leg so its completely out of the way. Unfortunately I couldn't find a solution for the left controls. Tried the GP style controls but ran into the same problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The Monster doesn't look like all those Japanese bikes. All those Japanese bikes look like the Monster.

What we forget is that the Monster created the segment. I remember very clearly in 1993, because I was looking to get a decent vehicle or two at the time. I'd gotten a good job -- my first job with a career path -- and saved up some money, about $10K. I wanted a decent used car and a decent used bike. For the bike, what I wanted was a light sporty naked bike, sort of a modern reliable version of a Norton Commando, preferably with 2 cylinders, and there was no such thing on the market. Not anywhere, not made by anybody. I was trying to figure out whether I was going to (a) give up on 2-cyl, get a Japanese sportbike and streetfighter it, (b) give up on modern and reliable, buy 2 Commandos and rebuild them in alternate years, or compromise on performance, and get a 1987 Honda Hawk 650GT, which was perfect except for having a measly 37hp.

Then I saw the article in Cycle World on the 1993 Cologne bike show, with one small picture of the Monster prototype. They said they were going to make 5000, allocate 2 per dealer and see if anyone bought it. If not, that would be all there would be. It was exactly what I wanted. So I said "who needs a car, anyway?", looked up the local Duc dealer in the phone book, went and gave him all my money, without having even seen the bike in person, just that one small picture, and waited for them to be produced and shipped.

3 months later, I had my Monster. A few years after that, there were half a dozen copies of it on the market -- everyone was making a naked 2-cyl sporty bike. The Monster was the original, and has continued to be one of the best. It's hard to stand out from the crowd when the crowd is following you around.

PhilB
Super cool - it is excatly the same way that i did buy and order the new 2021 Monster + that most people on this community feels breach with Ducati etchics. I saw it on pictures among all the Japanese, Geman and British competetors. But it stand out differently and much sexier with the latest technology plenty of power ad I bet you a balance and control that KTM must go back in the garage.
I cannot wait until April 15 when this beauty will be driving at the first in Denmark :)

All the best - see you out there.
Flemming

·
Registered
594 Posts
Have to admit, it's the first dash on a Monster in many years that's not entirely disappointing and underwhelming to look at.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Have to admit, it's the first dash on a Monster in many years that's not entirely disappointing and underwhelming to look at.
I guess the old dial with a physical needle type gauge is dead.
At least this kind of looks like one. I wonder how readable is it when sun shines over your shoulder on it.
Mine is just a glare in that situation.
OTOH, who cares? Look where you are going so damn fast! :D

·
Registered
594 Posts
Real gauges will never go out of style. They just won't be seen on most production line vehicles more and more as time goes on. I mean, how would a '76 750 GT look with a 8" TFT display?

·
Registered
365 Posts
I mean, how would a '76 750 GT look with a 8" TFT display?
Like some mutant terminator thing? :cautious:

Vintage stuff needs updates that fit the original style of the thing.
Be it machine, or house.

Yes, rip out that 1950s kitchen, but don't put in something from the Jetsons.
Keep in tune with the style. Same for bikes. :)

·
Super Moderator
3,939 Posts
lol. Here's what the original M900's gauges looked like (this was a 1993 bike; picture taken in 2012, as I turned over 200K miles on it).

Reactions: kltk1

·
Registered
594 Posts
Keep in tune with the style.
Exactly. It's actually quite an accomplishment on the Monster's behalf. What else did Ducati make in 1993 that's still around? Supersport I guess? That's all I can think of. The Monster has managed to maintain it's position long enough to have multiple generations. Which in turn means more than one type of enthusiast and buyer. Which in my opinion, means dropping comparison to previous models and generations. Find what makes you happy and embrace it. Old or new, appreciate things for what they are and have to offer. Without lamenting over what they aren't, or used to be.

·
Registered
158 Posts
It reminds me of modern MV Agusta. Since Harley-Davidson bought them all of their bikes look like transformers, but not in a cool way. It's reminiscent of tools, the old air tools are simple, beautiful, timeless looking, but have been far surpassed by modern electric tools that look like they were designed by a toddler tripping on shrooms.

There just isn't any soul

·
Super Moderator
3,939 Posts
I ****ing love the EJECT button. Bravo, good Sir.
I convinced several people over the years that it works.
"See the big yellow spring right there under the seat? ..."
;)

PhilB

41 - 60 of 64 Posts