Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

What do you think?

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
what do you mean the trellis is gone? its been missing since. 2008 with M-monsters replacing the S-monsters .

·
Registered
77 Posts
Would be very cool. Similar - I think Ducati could do well to make a modern TFT display to retrofit earlier models.
Which has a larger margin? You buying a new bike with a tft display or you buying a tft display?
If new Monster shows us anything, its about catering to the largest demographic with a focus group developed product.
It used to be a small company with an innovative lead Designer. Now its a committee.
Bit like Apple. The innovation and courage to be innovative died with Steve Jobs imho.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Which has a larger margin? You buying a new bike with a tft display or you buying a tft display?
If new Monster shows us anything, its about catering to the largest demographic with a focus group developed product.
It used to be a small company with an innovative lead Designer. Now its a committee.
Bit like Apple. The innovation and courage to be innovative died with Steve Jobs imho.
The chances of Ducati doing something like that are significantly less than zero. What would be cool is if a guy like Jason Duerr did something like develop and sell TFT displays to retrofit older models. Then he could reap the benefits of providing a much needed product to a niche market.

·
Registered
32 Posts
A trellis frame doesn’t make it a Ducati...the engine, the sound, and the badge on the tank makes it a Ducati. A ‘21 Monster will still turn heads and have that “wow” effect because it’s a Ducati. Engineering progresses...otherwise we’d still be using carburetors, spoke wheels, and brake cables.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
A trellis frame doesn’t make it a Ducati...the engine, the sound, and the badge on the tank makes it a Ducati. A ‘21 Monster will still turn heads and have that “wow” effect because it’s a Ducati. Engineering progresses...otherwise we’d still be using carburetors, spoke wheels, and brake cables.
Friend, I do believe you are correct. Monster can't be Ducati's Sportster 50 years from now. These things are inevitable. Think my disappointment comes from the dual swingarm, and not having more bespoke Ducati features. 2021 probably isn't the best year for Monster, but we shall see where it goes.

·
Super Moderator
3,939 Posts
Friend, I do believe you are correct. Monster can't be Ducati's Sportster 50 years from now. These things are inevitable. Think my disappointment comes from the dual swingarm, and not having more bespoke Ducati features. 2021 probably isn't the best year for Monster, but we shall see where it goes.
The original Monster M900 had a dual-sided swingarm, as did many if not most, of the Monsters that followed. This one still has the most important bespoke Ducati feature -- a desmo L-twin.

PhilB

·
Registered
594 Posts
I don't see the appeal or advantage of the single side swingarm setup personally. It really is a lot of additional complicated engineering and production methods for no real world advantage. The Desmosedici, or any Moto GP bike, Ducati or otherwise, doesn't use them. The BMW S1000RR, or any of the handful of other production bikes that are viable competition for the Panigale V4 don't use anything similar either. Although impressive and clean looking from certain angles, it's really just gimmick for the most part. Spawned in part by the the longstanding Italian tradition of finding complicated solutions to simple problems. Such as exhaust routing when stuffing larger and larger 4V liquid cooled L-Twin motors into the trellis frames they didn't want to change because that was their gimmick and claim to fame at the time.

·
Registered
731 Posts
absolutely, I agree. why they continue to design bikes that are just plain ugly is a mystery.

Here is an example, Triumph speed triple, come on, the guy who designed those headlights should be lynched.
yes, same as most modern bikes.....ugly.

View attachment 225749
I think it's the same Johnny 5, that designed the front end of the Yamaha MT-10.
Then again, who hires these incompetents?
mt-10.jpeg

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I am coming to accept the new Monster and look forward to seeing it in person.
2021 XDiaval: Last of the trellis frame.
This is the real issue now: What will they do to their power cruiser next year?

·
Registered
80 Posts
This is spot on. All about "How do we lure in customers from other brands".

The funny part is - it is the most expensive bike in its class with the least amount of features. No adjustable front suspension and a lack luster adjustable rear shock while everyone else is offering 3 way adjustable rear suspension. You can get an MT09-SP for less.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts