Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

2021 Monster: why no forum section? any owners yet?

6K views 29 replies 12 participants last post by  Wazza 
#1 ·
All,

I am quite interested in testing and perhaps buying a new 2021 Monster. Local Houston, TX dealers have them in stock. I need to find the time for a look, sit and test.

The clock has turned on the Monster.

Any owners yet? So far I have not found a YT owner review.

#2 ·
Got opinions from a couple of forum members here.
Maybe someone should start a "trellis free monster" section.

#7 ·
Got mine 2 weeks ago and I freaking love it. Coming from a Husky Svartpilen 701. The 937 is my 2nd ever bike and I'm no street Rossi.

Heat is only a thing at stop and go crawling and long stops. Very comfortable to ride. Still breaking it in so I've been riding it relatively gentle and keeping it in touring mode. Wind noise is whatever. If wind was an absolute bother I'd drive a car or get a Gold Wing. The bike definitely doesn't like lower speeds. Looking forward to the aftermarket for this. I'm in Cali and wanted the race exhaust but the process would've been a headache and the Termi slip on is only $600 less.

#8 ·
I just rolled 600 miles in a week of owning mine. It's heading in on Saturday for its first service. At 52 I've had many, many bikes over the years, including premium brands such as BMW, and Triumph. Currently, I own a 2020 KTM 790 Adventure R along with this Monster. I have to say I'm VERY impressed with this bike. Overall build quality is top-notch. The EFI programming is very damn fine too. I can't complain one bit, although I'm thinking about how my R1200GS/GSA/RT's behaved on the low end with their ultra-lean fueling, not this bike. I can easily see that Ducati took the time to map out the throttle response and fueling with precision. Not like that POS 2015 Yamaha FZ09 I bought new years ago with the shitty suspenders and the light switch throttle. It was either on or off.. nothing inbetween. Sure awesome motor, but how can you enjoy it when the throttle is so twitchy, and the damn suspension fails to inspire confidence in turns. Even the budget suspension on this bike is tuned well. I mean I can't really find any faults in it. It handles and follows turns like a scalpel and I feel like I'm a damn professional racer. Overall this thing was worth every penny. If I had one gripe, that would be the sound. I wish the bike sounded a little more exotic than it does. It's very muted in my opinion. That said, I love the motor. I'm not a V-Twin guy at all, but this Testastretta engine has won me over! I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this bike to anyone. As for me, I don't break in engines easy. I'm a firm believer that rings will seal much tighter on a well-run engine (heavy deccel load) vs an engine broken in gentle like, been doing it that way for 30 years now and have never had any engine failures in any vehicle. But to each his own. Sure create a new Yamaha MT forum for us Italian MT owners. I'm not embarrassed one bit to have a non-trellis-framed Ducati!

#10 ·
I finally got to see one today at my local dealer. Had to get permission to sit on it as it's already sold. Dealer said every one they have received so far was sold before it arrived. Looks quite different than my M696, but I have to say it feels good sitting on it. Feels small, light, and nimble. Probably a fun bike to ride.

#11 ·
I've been riding big BMW 1200's and recently flipped over to a KTM 790 Adventure R. I believe the weight of that bike is around 450lbs or so (give or take) and it was so much smaller and lighter for me than my 1200GSA. This Ducati feels like a scalpel as compared to my 790 Adventure even though it's perhaps 30-40 lbs lighter. It just feels very nimble, and easy to manage. For the $ I think it's well worth it, despite the non Ohlins shocks.

#14 ·
I spoke to my dealer about the exhaust and asked for a price quote for the "Racing" full version install. They wanted around $3500 completely installed. I'm not sure I'm interested in spending an extra 3500 bucks on a 12K bike. Not like the new monster is corked up or anything. It doesn't sound as good as it could be but seems like a lot of beans for so little in return.

#20 ·
Nomenclature/semantics might be at play here. I believe Ducati currently offers two options for the new Monster/Monster+:

The Silencer

Racing Silencers

Both are slip-ons, the former is cat-back, the latter eliminates the cat. Rated R Cars has the latter, but it is not a full system as far as I know. Full systems include header pipes which usually flow better than stock and require fueling changes to run optimally. Assuming this is the case, $900 to install slip-ons/upmap is a fairly expensive labor charge.

This is what I'm hoping Ducati does for the new Monster (it's for the Monster 1200, but you get the picture):

#21 ·
Yeah, I actually messaged that dude on youtube through comments on one of his videos. He stated to me that he had his dealer install the full race system, which includes an ECU reprogram. I believe the bike gained about 4HP and a handful of numbers for torque. My feeling, in effect, all you pay for is a beautiful exhaust system that probably sounds better than the OEM setup. However, my personal feelings are that its way too expensive for the little you get back. If you find that dudes video's on Youtube, there's an install video of the full race system with ECU reprogram/mapping/whatever.

You can find those videos here:

#22 ·
It's just as I thought -- just because some YouTube guy calls it a full system, it doesn't mean that it's a full system. Basically, it's a cat-delete slip-on with upmap. IMO, it's a better value than the cat-back slip on as the extra (pipe) section that takes the place of the muffler/cat will flow better (hence the upmap) and getting a bike tuned after intake/exhaust change usually costs a few hundred dollars anyways. Plus 3-4% hp increase and weight savings of more than a couple of lbs (muffler/cat is quite heavy) is a nice bonus. Fingers crossed, hopefully Akrapovic, SC Project, and Arrow will offer an actual full system (Termi too). As it's a new design, I'm sure a whole lot of aftermarket development will happen in the near future.

#23 ·
I guess I was assuming it was a full system due to the cat delete, but again this is my first Ducati and I do not know not much about the Term exhaust systems nor what's available. Actually, I'd like to see an Akrapovic, or Arrow exhaust for the bike as you mention. And I'd be fine with a slip-on. I actually don't care for the looks of those Term exhaust cans anyhow.

#28 ·
Had mine for a week now and racked up just over 645km. Got the belly pan on order and the front screen bracket was missing from the shipping crate, so a few more things to still go on.

One thing I noticed is that the light from the headlight, even with highbeam on is crap. On a twisty forest road, the headlight didn't throw any light around the corner and barely lit the road up in front of the bike... It was insanely easy to out drove the light available.

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this also?

Attachments

#29 · (Edited)
In the 2 weeks I’ve had the bike I’ve been able to do a few things:

• hook up Oxford heated grips to the Ducati provided wiring so it works with the OEM switch gears
  • added tank protector
  • installed NRC fender eliminator

I’m loving the Oxford heated grips and how great of a cost savings item they were. I’ve had them on the past 6 bikes I’ve owned but never had an install integrated into the OEM software like this before. It’s seamless! They get really hot, which is great for the cooler weather here in Canada.

The NRC tail tidy / fender eliminator was truly a pain in the rear to install. The license plate holes had to be modified to accommodate the size of the Canadian license plate and a couple other holes had to be enlarged and filed smooth for the tail light wires to properly fit through. Little to no clearance to access bolts and screws to tighten the bracket to the plate holder, which called for some tool improvisation. I don’t recommend this product to people who hate tinkering.

Fuel tank Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Plant Fuel tank Vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Motor vehicle

Bicycle tire Automotive tire Bicycle handlebar Bicycle frame Bicycle

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.