Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not seen anything new from Ducati on the new Monster since December, my local dealer doesn't even get updates. Does anybody have new news on the new Monster?

·
Registered
238 Posts
I figure it's different, but if Ducati made it,
it's a frigging Ducati, duh! :p
I agree but think that they should have given it a new name and retired the "monster".
Sometimes evolution hits a point where the new is so distant from the old that you wind off with something else entirely.
The controversy of losing the trellis frame really has overshadowed the good points of the bike.
They could have avoided this with a name change and generated better publicity for the new bike as it would have been a "new " model to be anticipated which would have made the loss of the trellis frame a non issue.
Here in OZ they stopped producing the locally made Holden commodore and then used the commodore name on a front wheel drive car where the commodore was ALWAYS a rear wheel drive car.
It was an utter failure as most people wouldn't touch it because "it wasn't a real" commodore.
Probably would have been better for them if they had of simply retired the commodore name.
Only time and sales figures will tell if it works out better for the "new" monster.
Im just glad I've got a "real" monster already but some would say that a "real" monster can only be air-cooled so maybe I don't.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I speculate OP knowns all the announcement news, but is looking for actual release dates (When can i see it in person news). Sorry to say I do not have that info at the moment.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I agree but think that they should have given it a new name and retired the "monster".
Sometimes evolution hits a point where the new is so distant from the old that you wind off with something else entirely.
The controversy of losing the trellis frame really has overshadowed the good points of the bike.
They could have avoided this with a name change and generated better publicity for the new bike as it would have been a "new " model to be anticipated which would have made the loss of the trellis frame a non issue.
Here in OZ they stopped producing the locally made Holden commodore and then used the commodore name on a front wheel drive car where the commodore was ALWAYS a rear wheel drive car.
It was an utter failure as most people wouldn't touch it because "it wasn't a real" commodore.
Probably would have been better for them if they had of simply retired the commodore name.
Only time and sales figures will tell if it works out better for the "new" monster.
Im just glad I've got a "real" monster already but some would say that a "real" monster can only be air-cooled so maybe I don't.
Well, well said OLDs4

·
Registered
28 Posts
I guess some of you guys wouldn’t buy a C8 Corvette because it looks different than previous models. Chevrolet should have called it something else...
My thoughts exactly. Like Corvette for Chevy, the Monster name has put food on Ducati's table for years. Why would they change it? Now I think the original 53 Corvette is a thing of beauty but so is the latest C8. Same with the new Monster. It has 20 hp more than my 2014 and weighs just 6 lbs more. I'll take it.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Now I think the original 53 Corvette is a thing of beauty but so is the latest C8.
I guess some of you guys wouldn’t buy a C8 Corvette because it looks different than previous models.
And yet they tried real hard to use the classic old shape for the Camaro.
Same with the "new" Mustang and Cuda.
The corvette is a lot cheaper than its exotic sports car competitors and I don't see Lamborghini using the same old countach label again and again.
Only time will tell but I think they would have been better off changing the name, just for PR.
For me the biggest thing that would make me wary of the new monster (if I had the money) would be the fibre glass rear subframe.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My two cents, I'd prefer to see it in the flesh and maybe even try a demo ride to decide whether it's any better or looks any better.
When I went hunting for a new bike a few years back, the Monster was not on the list, rather a Scrambler or even a Multistrada 950 from the Ducati range. After seeing the bikes and testing one, I bit the bullet and picked the 821 (2018) and honestly, have not regretted it since.
Coming to the lack of the trellis frame and similarities to a Japanese brand, maybe they could have looked to bring back an older name, say the bike from Tron Legacy - Sport 1000 as a Sport 950? Maybe a Supersport 950 N? Both the Supersport and the new Monster share the same motor at the end of the day. Liley same set of tunes to the motor and gearing.
Personally, I am happy to see a bump in power and loss of weight. The 821 is a heavy brute and has the turning radius of a small moon.
Perhaps Ducati was looking to target the likes of 890 Duke, Street Tripple in the Euro market.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wait long enough and there will be a "retro" monster like when the Sport Classic came out. Air cooled, full trellis ... that sort of thing with enough model differences to give some options.

To me the new monsters and the streetfighters are too close together if not in engine and performance in looks.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Wait long enough and there will be a "retro" monster like when the Sport Classic came out. Air cooled, full trellis ... that sort of thing with enough model differences to give some options.

To me the new monsters and the streetfighters are too close together if not in engine and performance in looks.
I think emissions standards will rule the air cooled bikes out but it will be interesting to see if any manufacturer can solve this issue.
Fully agree with the monster/street fighter statement.
It's why I think they should have dropped the monster name, although a really stripped down naked V4 would be sweet.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Spoke to a couple of dealers today about it. Should be arriving in dealer’s late May. There are numerous foreign reviews of the bike on YouTube but only one in English that I could find. As is expected, it’s great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
My thoughts exactly. Like Corvette for Chevy, the Monster name has put food on Ducati's table for years. Why would they change it? Now I think the original 53 Corvette is a thing of beauty but so is the latest C8. Same with the new Monster. It has 20 hp more than my 2014 and weighs just 6 lbs more. I'll take it.
But is it a Corvette if the engine isn’t in the front? 😆 This is actually a great comparison. Everyone lost their minds about the C8 and whadaya know? The thing is near perfection and it’s suddenly real quiet about where the engine is. I predict the same with the new Monster.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts