Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping that there are some really knowledgeable people that can help me.

I have a 2015 Monster 821, with a bit over 30k miles on her. A few days ago I took her out for a ride, pulled into a gas station to fill her up, and turned her off. Every normal up to this point. When I finished pumping and went to turn her on, the instrument cluster didn't turn on properly, she looked like she barely had any juice, then just flat out died. Wouldn't light up, no fuel pump sound, nothing. I figured that she had a dead battery (since going on break from work, I've been bad and didn't ride her for about 5 days). I had just put in a new Shorai Li battery, but thought putting her on the tender for a while would help.

When I finally pushed her home and plugged her in, she started making a low electric whine. Similar to the fuel pump, but it doesn't turn off as long as the tender is connected. The tender told me the battery was fully charged, but the instrument cluster wouldn't turn on. If I tried turning her on, the lights would flash on and off, and then just die.

I haven't had the time lately to dig into her and figure it out, and would really appreciate any insight.

Thanks everyone, and I hope you had/have a great new years.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Leave it on the tender overnight...I have a 2015 821 with a shorai....and only ever charged it with the tender

Next...check your Chasis grounds...after it's sat on the tender...check the voltage...even if the battery is brand new...if it goes to zero volts...it's garbage...no coming back...that's my suspicion...that the battery has failed...just in case...don't park it next to anything flamable

·
Registered
349 Posts
It does sound like a battery problem. If it's dead, warranty return it.
I think the zero volts = garbage is correct.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Why does every single bad, dead, dieing, battery mystery thread seem to have one common denominator? The "Battery Tender"... I've never used one or anything similar. And my 2007 is still rolling around on the original battery. Stamped April 06.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I think that a battery can only be run down and recharged so many times before it dies.
Beats me why people use tenders on bikes when most (some are a pain to get at) are fairly easy to disconnect.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys, I'll take out the battery and check it out. I'll also check out the grounding wires. Honestly, I didn't think that a few days not on would hurt a brand new battery. I usually never keep her on a tender, since I can ride year round.

·
Registered
443 Posts
The lithium doesn't need to be tendered...per se....it easily holds full charge for months...but if you have a parasitic draw...and it empties the battery...it's toast...you can't bring a lithium ion battery to zero...and that's what this sounds like...tell me...do you lock your steering?...do you turn the key all the way to do so...if yes...that's how you killed it...LED lights stay on...easily goes unnoticed...if you lock the bars...only one click of the key

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't lock it while it's in my garage. I've accidentally left those lights on before, and learned my lesson pretty quick. The thing that confuses me is that she turned on perfectly fine before I went to get gas. I figured a completely dead battery wouldn't have done that.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Next time you fire it up....go into the sub menu and read the voltage...looking for 13.5-14.5 depending on the rpm....any less and there's an issue in the system

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm hoping that there are some really knowledgeable people that can help me.

I have a 2015 Monster 821, with a bit over 30k miles on her. A few days ago I took her out for a ride, pulled into a gas station to fill her up, and turned her off. Every normal up to this point. When I finished pumping and went to turn her on, the instrument cluster didn't turn on properly, she looked like she barely had any juice, then just flat out died. Wouldn't light up, no fuel pump sound, nothing. I figured that she had a dead battery (since going on break from work, I've been bad and didn't ride her for about 5 days). I had just put in a new Shorai Li battery, but thought putting her on the tender for a while would help.

When I finally pushed her home and plugged her in, she started making a low electric whine. Similar to the fuel pump, but it doesn't turn off as long as the tender is connected. The tender told me the battery was fully charged, but the instrument cluster wouldn't turn on. If I tried turning her on, the lights would flash on and off, and then just die.

I haven't had the time lately to dig into her and figure it out, and would really appreciate any insight.

Thanks everyone, and I hope you had/have a great new years.
I have an 07 S4RS, 1st Yuasa lasted 11 years. Only used tender during winter months (pulled battery and brought it in the house- rotated with other batteries. Yours is much different and everyone has given excellent info. The one thing that may have failed is the instrument cluster itself. Troubleshooting a No-Start situation

1 - 13 of 13 Posts