Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sorry if this is posted elsewhere, but I recently bought a 2014 Monster 696. Have tried looking a number of places with no luck, but is there any way to check the condition/age of the battery without having to field strip the bike? Any suggestions would be helpful.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I am not familiar with your bike, but if you can get at the battery terminals, do a load test.
You do not need a special motorcycle load tester, an automotive load tester will work.
The bike is 6 years old, so if it’s the original battery it’s probably on its way out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's not very simple task to overcome. On the 2014 Monsters (& a good sum of others), the battery is located basically deep down in the "bowels" of the bike. An entire 21 pages of the owner's manual are devoted to removal/replacement of it.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I will keep that in mind. The battery in my S4RS is right under the seat, easy to get to.
In that case, check your voltage wherever you can get at the wiring. If you aren’t seeing readings above 12 volts chances are good the battery is on its way out. You bought a 6 year old bike and batteries seldom last that long. Even if has been replaced, the battery could still need replacement. Especially if it hasn’t been kept on a maintenance charger. If it has a maintenance charger plug you can check battery voltage putting voltmeter probes in the plug.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Appreciate charger mail. suggestion. Been in touch w previous owner (letter/email etc e/ but no reply- A H (my terms) refuses to tell me any thing. Thought this was a community for like bikers.- not him--anyway help appreciated regarding never to be found battery in gut of 696. Thanks to all
Robert Bell Bob

·
Registered
127 Posts
Turn on the ignition and press the "arrow up". It will display the voltage at the battery.
If it's less than 12v it will blink and you will have issues starting the bike.
The previous owner might have installed a battery lead to connect a battery charger. Or you can use the DDA port under the seat if you have a Ducati branded charger.

Otherwise there is no alternative than lifting the tank to access the battery.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts