Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a 2014 Monster 1200S a few months ago. I drove a 10 hour round trip north of Edmonton, Alberta at the end of November to buy it. There’s was already a good layer of snow on the ground up there when I drove up…obviously I was not able to test drive it, but it started right up and ran well and the guy selling it did a good explaining the history of the bike and some of the issues he knew about. I believed him to be an honest guy and I didn’t get any bad vibes like he was hiding something etc.

I got a good deal price wise, but it needs a little work. I literally got to ride it once. A few days after I brought it home, and once I got it plated, I took ‘er for a rip😁! But that was it.

Then the snow started falling the day after my first ride on it, so the bike magically made its way into my basement; (or so I told my wife.)

It runs great, but I think it sat outside for some time as some of the decals have come off and some of the black plastics had that look like they’ve been sun-bleached etc. The bike only had about 5600 KMS on it and the tires feel pretty hard. (I think they had dried up over time). The date code on them shows they were manufactured in 2013.

I’m going to change the tires and was thinking of a few choices that are more sport touring oriented. Some of the ones I had in mind are the Michelin Road 5s (or 4s), the Battleax S22s, Continental Road attack 3s, and the Dunlop Mutants. I’d be happy to hear any related thoughts from others. There’s so much out there on tires, just not sure what might work best for me.

Some critical points related to my riding are: I like to extend my riding season from the earliest possible start of spring to the latest part of fall. I’m in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. So that means I have to deal with some slippery conditions at the extents of the season, like occasional road frost in the mornings in the spring and fall, and generally cooler temperatures. I’m not an aggressive rider but I do like taking the occasional corner with a bit of speed when I can. I’ve never been on a track with a motorcycle and don’t really see myself doing that. (Not that I don’t want to, but I have minimal time and I don’t consider myself a talented rider…I’m more of a hack if anything).

Our roads up here generally suck. They are mostly straight, have lots of potholes, and are full of gravel in the spring. That’s why I’m considering the Dunlop Mutants if anyone was wondering about that…

Also, some of the upcoming service I’m planing on doing is: oil change (obviously), timing belts, tire change, brake bleed, (back brake is completely useless as it currently sits), and fork oil replacement. Aesthetically, all three decals on the tank were peeling or were completely gone, so I’ve ordered the OEM decals. I’m also wondering if someone might have a link for a service manual still available. Any comments, advice or thoughts are welcome. This is my first Ducati and I’m starting from ground zero with it, but it’s not my first bike and I usually take care of most service work myself, whenever possible. Any thoughts, help or comments appreciated. BTW, this bike has the Termi exhaust and the sound is absolutely heavenly. I’ve had dual sport singles on and off for the past 20 years, so this Monster (to me at least) is absolutely intoxicating in terms of sound and power.

thanks
Carlito

·
Registered
104 Posts
You're not going to get much better then what you have got on there now for the riding you are doing. Although your currently tyres worn flat. You could also look at Pirelli Angel GT's.

Michelin Road 5s are good. But the sipes on the front tyre wear in a saw tooth manner, which can then causes a humming noise when under brakes

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You're not going to get much better then what you have got on there now for the riding you are doing. Although your currently tyres worn flat. You could also look at Pirelli Angel GT's.

Michelin Road 5s are good. But the sipes on the front tyre wear in a saw tooth manner, which can then causes a humming noise when under brakes
Yep, The Angel GTs or GT2swere another tire I was considering as well.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Yep, The Angel GTs or GT2swere another tire I was considering as well.
Either of the Angels are going to suit you very well, so to will the Rosso 2's.
IMO it's impossible to say which is a better tyre for you. Cruising with a pillion passenger and occasionally some spirited riding. I think they are all as good as each other and the pros and cons aren't going to differ much between them.
Rosso 2 will be a little better for spirited riding, and wear a little quicker. The Angels better for cruising and last a little longer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I would have stuck with these Rosso 2s, at least for a bit, but as you noted they’re completely wore flat down the centre and I think the rubber is just getting old. I probably won’t have enough time to do any long trips on this bike this year, but for the riding I intend on doing; a bit of commuting and 2 to 3 pleasure rides a week in the evenings, most sport touring tires like the Purellis you mentioned are probably going to work. I’m tempted to order some now, as last year it was a bit of a gong show for bike parts up here in Canada due to COVID. Maybe this year the supply chains for bike parts might be a bit better…

·
Registered
104 Posts
Your bike would be turning like a pig too with your tyres being so flat. So a new set will see a huge improvement and make your bike so much nicer to ride

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, the low speed drop-in on turns was almost scary. But before it drops in, I had to almost think and apply leverage to turn at low speeds. At moderate to highway speeds, your description is bang on. I noticed this going into a few off ramps where I’m thinking I’ve got the turn figured out and then I’m readjusting mid corner because the turn is not happening quite like I expected. I’m no expert either, so truth be told, my skill or lack thereof, probably doesn’t help.
But I’m really looking forward to riding this bike once it’s a bit more dialled in and I’ve got new rubber on it. The forks completely dive under any sort of braking as well, so I need to figure that out too. I only got to play with it for one good ride and a few short jaunts before I had to put it away for the winter.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Yes the suspension on these bike is very soft. Comfy ride, but i was bottoming out the forks under brakes and that is with all the preload wound on. Thats bads and will eventually cause a low side. I weight 90kg in my riding gear.
Also the washer on the compression valve is thin and it give way too easy to under compression. So that need to change too.
I ride my bike pretty fast through the mountains, so I had the suspension front and rear resprung and valved. Made a massive difference, but I suspect that not what you would want.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes the suspension on these bike is very soft. Comfy ride, but i was bottoming out the forks under brakes and that is with all the preload wound on. Thats bads and will eventually cause a low side. I weight 90kg in my riding gear.
Also the washer on the compression valve is thin and it give way too easy to under compression. So that need to change too.
I ride my bike pretty fast through the mountains, so I had the suspension front and rear resprung and valved. Made a massive difference, but I suspect that not what you would want.
Well, I’m going to try setting sag, adjusting preload and compression, inspect the components to the extent I’m capable of, and change the fork oil etc.

If I can’t adjust out the diving, or at least most of it, I will have to take it to a shop for some fork work. It dove so much, even under light braking, that I felt it wasn’t even safe.

I probably won’t be doing too many high speed MotoGP impersonations, but I’d like to at least have everything set up and working properly. Thanks for the heads up on the compression washer. Since I brought the bike home, after getting the one ride in, I had to put it away for the winter. It’s in my basement now (gas is drained), and I need to bring my motorcycle lift downstairs. Once I have the bike on the lift, I’ll start going over it and I’ll see what I can do with the forks, among other things. By then some of the parts I’ve ordered already, or will order, ought to start trickling in. Thanks again for the helpful comments and info!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts