Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! I've been a lurker here ever since getting my ducati, but couldn't find the exact thread I needed so I figured I'd make my own post.

I'm currently installing the SpeedoHealer v4 on my monster, and right off the bat there was a couple discrepancies with the manual vs real life.

Turns out the speed sensor on this bike only has two wires, not 3 like every other post, so I had to contact SpeedoHealer in order to get further instructions.

They responded saying the splice the signal cable "downstream of the abs ecu, on the solid green wire (pin #3)."

Well I've taken a look at the wires both upstream and downstream the ECU and:

1. There is no solid green wire, other than one that's going into the ABS pump. And,
2. The wiring diagram in the manual is kinda unclear about which wire is coming FROM the ECU. I can find the white wire going TO, but the instructions said clearly not to mess with that one because it could interrupt ABS control.

So unfortunately I'm at a kind of loss right now as to what to do. I determined a couple different things while doing this.

One is that the green wire going to the ABS pump is not a speed sensor signal wire, as before I realized my mistake I spliced the SpeedoHealer onto there and no dice...

Another is that the speed sensor only works with the bike RUNNING, not just ignition on. Probably something to do with power consumption, but it took me too long to figure that one out. This fact is particularly frustrating because it prevents me from starting the bike and testing pins in the ECU connector in order to determine which one is the +/-5v square wave signal for the speed sensor.

Like I said, I'm at a loss as to what to do next. If anyone else has experience with installed the SpeedoHealer onto this bike, please feel free to drop some advice because I want to get this thing calibrated, and my bike is torn apart to do it, and I just want to get it back together. Or if someone has taken the time to pinmap the ECU, because unfortunately the wiring diagram in the manual compared to real life doesn't really number the pins the same way.

Thanks in advance for the help, and sorry for the page of text, just wanted to fit in all the details. I also have pictures of all the work I've done if that would help anyone

·
Registered
19 Posts
I added a speedo healer to my wife's 796 ABS about a year ago.
The difference with the ABS bikes is that they have speed inputs from both wheels going into the ABS unit where they are compared so the ABS unit knows whether to activate or not.
So the speedo healer has to intercept the 'combined speed signal' after its been processed by the ABS unit, but before it gets to the ECU, so we are looking for a wire that comes from the ABS and goes to the ECU.
On my wife's bike, the green wire is in amongst the main ABS wiring harness. I had to carefully snip open the protective sheath of the wiring harness coming out of the ABS Unit, and tease the green wire out enough to cut it, strip the ends, and bend them ready to solder. I used very short sections of heat shrink to seal the joints.
Once the speedo-healer wires has been attached to the ends of the cut green wire, run the speedo-healer wires parallel to the other wires for a bit before re-wrapping the harness, this will add some extra physical strength to your solder joints.

Also from your post I'm not sure if you cut the green wire or just attached the speedo cable to it.
The green wire has to be cut, and its signal routed through the speedo-healer where the pulse rate can be increased or decreased and then its returned to the other portion of the cut green wire to continue its journey to the ECU.

As for powering the speedo healer, I added a relay that switches a feed from the positive battery terminal and powers a small terminal block, which in turn supplies power to the oxford heated grips, and the speedo healer. The relay is activated by a feed spliced into the number-plate light.

Hope that helps.

Keef.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I added a speedo healer to my wife's 796 ABS about a year ago.
The difference with the ABS bikes is that they have speed inputs from both wheels going into the ABS unit where they are compared so the ABS unit knows whether to activate or not.
So the speedo healer has to intercept the 'combined speed signal' after its been processed by the ABS unit, but before it gets to the ECU, so we are looking for a wire that comes from the ABS and goes to the ECU.
On my wife's bike, the green wire is in amongst the main ABS wiring harness. I had to carefully snip open the protective sheath of the wiring harness coming out of the ABS Unit, and tease the green wire out enough to cut it, strip the ends, and bend them ready to solder. I used very short sections of heat shrink to seal the joints.
Once the speedo-healer wires has been attached to the ends of the cut green wire, run the speedo-healer wires parallel to the other wires for a bit before re-wrapping the harness, this will add some extra physical strength to your solder joints.

Also from your post I'm not sure if you cut the green wire or just attached the speedo cable to it.
The green wire has to be cut, and its signal routed through the speedo-healer where the pulse rate can be increased or decreased and then its returned to the other portion of the cut green wire to continue its journey to the ECU.

As for powering the speedo healer, I added a relay that switches a feed from the positive battery terminal and powers a small terminal block, which in turn supplies power to the oxford heated grips, and the speedo healer. The relay is activated by a feed spliced into the number-plate light.

Hope that helps.

Keef.
Thanks for your response!

Yeah I did snip the green wire coming from the main ecu to the abs ecu/pump. It's the only green wire on the whole bike, however even with that wire cut, if I start the bike up and spin the back wheel I still get a speedometer reading.

I did the SpeedoHealer test they describe, and it should "have a speed other than 0 on the speedometer" and the "t on the SpeedoHealer should flash when spinning the back wheel". Neither of those things happened. I've tried contacting SpeedoHealer and they were helpful, but essentially pointed me to what I had already done.

I'm not sure where I could be going wrong, because as far as I can see there's only one green wire on the whole bike, so this would be hard to mess up.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have taken some pics that might help.
1/ Two Photos of "the green wire" from an older bike that has had a speedo-healer installed and later removed. There is a short section of white wire 'jumping' the break in the green wire where it was cut and is now re-joined.
(Actually the section of white wire joins a section of light green wire, which then rejoins the original dark green wire, I think I must have just cut the 'tails' off the speedo healer wires and then joined them together to save trying to solder the two ends of the bike's dark-green wire together with so little to work with).
The picture is taken from the RHS of the bike looking across towards the ECU. The ABS unit is to the right of the picture.

Monster Speedo healer wire1.jpg Monster speedo healer wire 2.jpg

2/ One photo of the -ve wire (aka earth or return wire) of the ABS unit. This has to go on the negative terminal of the battery (Battery not shown because its removed from this old bike)
Monster ABS return lead.jpg

Possible problems to check out:
1/ Have you cut the same Green wire I have?
2/ Did you connect the white wire of the speedo healer to the end closest to the ABS and the light green wire of the speedo healer to the end going to the ECU? Maybe you wired it in backwards?
3/ Did you supply power to the Speedo healer via the red/black wires, ie both a supply and a return path.
4/ Is your ABS unit connected to the negative battery via the other lead I showed. If its not then the Instrument panel will not show any speed.

Also this comment:
the speed sensor only works with the bike RUNNING, not just ignition on. Probably something to do with power consumption, but it took me too long to figure that one out. This fact is particularly frustrating because it prevents me from starting the bike and testing pins in the ECU connector in order to determine which one is the +/-5v square wave signal for the speed sensor.
Isn't quite right. When we turn the ignition on our speedo healer cycles the display through the digits of correction factor it is set to, before going blank.
Monster Speedo healer.jpg

This last pic shows the speedo healer's lead plugged into its socket, the other socket is for the lap-timer trigger wire.
It also shows the +ve power lead which is connected to a relay tucked into the tail unit. I connected the -ve lead to the bikes main earth point on the LHS of the engine, near the oil-cooler shroud.

One last bit of info, the correction factor we are using for our current 14:41 sprocket combo is -3.7.

Hope that helps, Keef.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey keef, thanks for such an informative response. It really helps. I have done everything you showed, and that's what I've been doing from the start.

Just to be sure though I went ahead and made sure I did everything like you said, SH green to ECU, SH white to ABS.

20210403_090857.jpg

You can see here, the bottom right shows the SH white connected to the green wire going to the ABS module, and the SH green going to the green wire on the bottom left going to the ECU.

(please ignore the white wire wrap in the center of the image, i was fed up with troubleshooting and looking at schematics showed that the white wire was the speed signal cable so i cut it just to see if it would work... it didnt. i will be fixing that later)

20210403_090907.jpg

This photo is just a bit farther back to show the correct component and where the wires are going. I intend on soldering these connections once i get this working, but i did that first then had to cut the solder joints because SH recommended swapping the wire connections to see if that would work.

I made a video that showed me putting the SH in test mode, and heres a picture of the instructions that shows what SHOULD happen. Speedo shows something other than 0, and the "t" on the SH flashes when i spin the wheel. In the video, i spin the wheel while looking at the speedo, to show that it works, and then i spin the wheel while looking at the SH to show it doesnt flash.

20210403_091052.jpg

Isn't quite right. When we turn the ignition on our speedo healer cycles the display through the digits of correction factor it is set to, before going blank.
When i just turn the bike ignition on, the SH does flash like it should with no correction factor. i just havent gotten that far in order to input one since its still failing to pass the test mode.

Thanks so much for your help man, im truly appreciative and just want this to be fixed.

Somewhat related, i found out the from the speed sensor, i should have two wires, a white and a black. I took a look at where the sensor is, and it is actually a White/Blue wire, and a black one. i swear im looking at the right drawing, 2014 Ducati Monster 696 ABS manual. Just something i noticed and cant figure out if the schematic is wrong, or if im just unable to read a schematic (which i do for a living so i hope i can lol)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've looked at your pictures and agree you have the white and light green SH wires connected correctly.
I don't remember doing the "test-step' but then I have installed 5 of these things (695, 696 (non ABS), 1100evo, Goldwing and 796) and kind of just go by experience now.
Try skipping the test step and just see if you can go straight to the setup stage.

I say this because:
a/ you can see speed on the speedo, so those wires seem to be ok,
b/ you can see the digits on the SH light up, so the unit is powered,
c/ remember that the instructions that come with the SH are for the simpler, non-abs units, and may not quite be right for the different 'ABS-type" setup.

I don't have access to a schematic for a Monster, but its possible the colors of the front and rear wheel speed sensor cables are different?

cheers, keef.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The only thing that throws me off, is if I start up the bike while the green wire is cut, and spin the back wheel I still get a speedometer reading... I'll try to just set it up and see if it works correctly, because at this point I'm just about done trying.

Here's some screenshots of the sensor, the abs ecu, and the normal ecu wiring. Maybe you can see something I don't. I'm just scared to solder the connections again only to have to tear it apart later...

Whole schematic:
Screenshot_20210403-221459_Samsung Notes.jpg

ABS ECU:
Screenshot_20210403-221518_Samsung Notes.jpg

ECU:
Screenshot_20210403-221523_Samsung Notes.jpg

Number 28 is the Speed Sensor:
Screenshot_20210403-221511_Samsung Notes.jpg

·
Registered
19 Posts
Somewhat related, i found out the from the speed sensor, i should have two wires, a white and a black. I took a look at where the sensor is, and it is actually a White/Blue wire, and a black one. i swear im looking at the right drawing, 2014 Ducati Monster 696 ABS manual. Just something i noticed and cant figure out if the schematic is wrong, or if im just unable to read a schematic (which i do for a living so i hope i can lol)
The White wire (pin 20) and the Black wire (pin 31) are for the rear wheel speed sensor.
The White/Blue wire (pin 21) and the Black/Blue wire (pin 22) are for the front wheel sensor, which is item #46 (at LHS bottom of main schematic near the instrument panel).
These are the inputs for the ABS unit.
From what we have been told, and what I have successfully cut, the green wire is the ABS speed output and connects ABS unit pin 3 to ECU unit pin H3.
The 796 ABS schematic has the same pin-outs as your 696 ABS schematics above (for the speed sensor circuits - there are other differences).

Thats all I can help today, its midnight and I got angry eyes about half hour ago.

cheers, keef.

·
Registered
19 Posts
OK I've re-read through everything we have both written up to this point, looking for clues.

1/ I think you have connected the SH correctly, but there might be some issue with your bike's wiring between the ABS and ECU.

Firstly, I need to clarify these statements:
Yeah I did snip the green wire coming from the main ecu to the abs ecu/pump. It's the only green wire on the whole bike, however even with that wire cut, if I start the bike up and spin the back wheel I still get a speedometer reading.
if I start up the bike while the green wire is cut, and spin the back wheel I still get a speedometer reading...
By this I assume you actually mean the wire is cut AND the speedohealer is NOT connected??
Because my understanding is that if the SH is connected but not operating the signal will be shunted straight through the SH without modification, ie exactly like what you described. If the speedohealer was 'in-circuit' when you did that check try the check again with the SH removed and the ends of the green wire connected to nothing.

2/ Next thing to check is that the green wire connects ABS module pin 3 to ECU module pin H-3, because according to both 696 ABS and 796 ABS schematics they are the pins the green wire is supposed to connect together. We are pretty sure this is the speed-signal wire because Healtech say it is and also because its the one I cut on both the 1100evo and the 796ABS that I installed speedo healers onto. If there is some other color wire on ECU pin H-3, you got some interesting wiring going on.

3/ You said you went looking for the square-wave speed input signal, and said that you saw white/blue and black wires at the sensor. The schematics show white/blue and blue/black (easily mistaken for plain-black) wires connecting ABS module to the front wheel sensor via pins 21 and 22.
Your post suggested you saw these wires at the sensor, but you didn't say which sensor. I'm hoping that you traced the sheathed cable up from the rear sensor and saw the wires at the ABS module but accidently started tracing the cable from the front wheel at some point. This would be the simplest explanation, But other possibilities in this scenario are that you have a front wheel sensor on the rear wheel or maybe at some point Ducati just started using the same sensors front and back, or maybe the schematics are all wrong. 😲 The sensors look pretty much the same, probably the only difference would be cable length so I doubt it would matter much.

Anyhow - verify what color wires you have connected to pins 21 and 22 (front wheel input) and also 20 and 31 (rear wheel input). Check that you were looking for the square wave from the rear sensor wires.

Good Luck, Keef,

PS: Below I have pasted in the letter we received from SH in response to our request for the extra instructions required for Ducati ABS equipped bikes, I expect that you received the same or similar but here it is in case you didn't:

Hello "kforkeef's wife"* (*name changed to protect the innocent - lol)

Thank you for your email.
To install the SH-V4 + SH-U01 harness on a Ducati 796 ABS model, please proceed as follows:
1) Locate the ABS computer.
It has a single 38-pole connector with less wires.
Find the solid Green wire in the 3rd wire position - see image.

2) Cut the Green wire at the ABS computer connector, 1-2 inches away from the connector.
Important: When this wire is cut, take a short ride to confirm that all bike functions are normal but the speedometer shows zero with spinning wheels.

3) Splice the SH White wire to the Green wire end which goes to the ABS computer connector.

4) Splice the SH Green wire to the Green wire end which is at the wiring harness side (goes to the ECU).

5) Connect the SH Black wire to chassis ground.

6) Splice the SH Red wire to any +12V switched power lead, e.g. at the fusebox.
For testing, it can be connected directly to battery positive terminal.

7) Perform the SH test procedure as per the SH-U01 manual:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To clarify the colors for the sensor:

I traced the rear speed sensor to the plug behind the plate where your right foot sits, and the wires coming from that were the white/blue and black. If I unplug this and spin the rear wheel, as you would expect, I get 0 on the speedometer.

Now, with the SH removed, green wire snipped not connected to anything, if I spin the back wheel I get a reading on my speedometer. That's what's tripping me up.

In order for the SH to work, it must intercept the signal before reaching the ECU in order to input its own mulitplier, and if the rear wheel speed still outputs a signal with the green wire cut and disconnected, then that HAS to mean it's the wrong wire.

I will recheck the pinning on the connectors themselves, and attach photos. Give me a little bit to get those and I'll post those photos.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, i think i mightve narrowed down the issue.... I pulled the backing from the ECU plug, and checked the schematic. like you said, H-3 should be a green wire that is the speed sensor. well......

Center of that photo is H-3.... the violet wire. not sure what to do with this info, because there shouldnt even be a violet wire plugged into the ECU. All of the other wires into the ECU are not green, so im not sure how far down the rabbit hole i want to go, but at this point theres obviously an issue with the wiring on the bike and i think i would have to completely pull apart the wiring harness and follow the speed sensor wire.

just to be clear as to what im calling the ECU (to do a dummy check and make sure im not an idiot). Top down view of the bike, looking from the RHS. The ECU is the silver box at the top of the photo that has the white sticker on it with the writing "M696 ABS". The ABS ECU is the bottom middle, where the other plug is resting, the black box flush up against the black shroud on the right side of the photo.

Again, that was just to make sure im not a big dummy, not because i think you are. again, i appreciate your help immensely and i wouldve probably already gone insane if you hadnt helped me.

Im going to try and do some testing to see what kind of signal i get from H-3 (violet wire) from the ECU and see if it better represents the square wave i would expect to see. And if i do, it would seem that my speed sensor wire the violet and not green, some kind of factory error. there is a violet wire that goes into the ABS ECU.... Seen just above the green wire in this photo

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
holy ****..... i figured it out. look at that order of wires on my bike, then compare it to the schematic....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I spliced the SpeedoHealer into the violet wire, per instructions as if it were the green, and it worked perfectly. Put it in test mode, on ignition key, speedometer displayed some number other than 0. when i spun the back wheel, the "t" flashed.... i cant believe that this was almost two weeks of just stress and troubleshooting all for such a simple factory error that i failed to catch.

Its been truly an adventure keef, i appreciate you help endlessly and i hope that if someone else has this issue they find this post and it saves them weeks of stress.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Great that you've got it sorted. But it leads to the question: Where does the green wire go, and what data/signal is it carrying?
Since we know that it is plugged into pin-2 of the ABS module, and that is supposed to have the violet wire in it, I traced the 'violet' wire from pin-2 through the schematic and ended up at the un-numbered (ie not listed in the diagram key) plug located between the air-temperature sensor (item 40) and the DDA plug (Ducati Data Analyser - item 18).
This plug is one of the three plugs physically located under the seat that don't plug into anything. The other two plugs are a two-pin 12-volt power supply (which can also be used to connect a battery tender) and the four-pin DDA.
I haven't been able to find out exactly what "this" third plug is for, and only know that it is a three pin plug with a dust cap and is connected via two wires back to pins 2 and 17 on the ABS module.

I recommend you check the back of this plug on your bike, hopefully the errant green wire is connected to pin-1 of the plug where the violet wire should be. If it is that is good news, since:
1/ You will know what the green is connected to.
2/ You can be pretty sure that the green and violet wires have just been swapped over during installation, and
3/ The green wire isn't carrying any signal that's needed to ride/operate the bike.

I wondered if that plug might have been needed to activate the ABS unit during brake-bleed operations, but I just read a heap of posts about brake bleeding, which included a letter from Bosch to a forum member stating that there is no requirement to activate the ABS during bleeds.

Maybe someone else knows??

Anyhow - congrats on solving the riddle and getting your bike working.
Enjoy riding it with a speedo with less than Ducati's standard 8% speedo error (which is the built-in error Ducati state in the handbook).

cheers, Keef.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh man, im so sorry for the delay. I thought i responded to this, but apparently throughout the busy past week it slipped my mind.

I did follow the green wire, and went to where the schematics show the violet wire going aaaaaaand:

low of behold we found that it was just swapped in the factory somehow...

Now do you think this is something that i should notify Ducati of? idk how deep the problem persists as i didnt look that closely but it seemed at first glance this was the only place that it happened. I checked for any recalls on my model and it showed that none were present so i would assume its either not something they care that much about, or that its an isolated instance.

either way, thank you so much for your help along this journey. it was certainly frustrating and i most certainly wouldve given up without finding the answer if you had not helped me out.

Ride safe, and good luck!

·
Registered
19 Posts
No don't tell them.

I don't know for sure, but I figure there's little advantage in it for you.
1/ You'll let them know that you have modified their 'perfect' wiring, and any other problems your bike experiences will be blamed on you modifying the wiring.
2/ The wiring problem on your bike seems limited to the direct swapping of two wires with no real detriment (apart from making it difficult to add a mod) to the operation of your bike.
3/ You probably don't want your whole bike pulled apart to have a new loom installed.
4/ Its likely that Ducati already know, I expect that they receive the harnesses from a supplier, and there is probably a lot of harnesses that got incorrectly assembled until QC picked up the error. Hopefully corrective action was taken, including notifying the customer (Ducati).
5/ Lastly the M5 series of Monsters are superseded and the looms are as well, so the factory doesn't need to take action to stop the problem, its already stopped.

cheers, Keef.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts